What's new

NERVES!?!

Legion

Staff member
I developed a tremor in my hands a couple of month’s ago and had trouble shaving with a straight. And of course, once you start worrying about it the tremor gets worse.

What was really ridiculous was when I had to remove some sutures from a wound in my leg. My hands were shaking so badly, it would have made a hilarious scene in a comedy movie.

Then the tremors just went away by themself. I have no idea what it was all about, but I’m ok now.

I am struggling with my left hand, especially if am using these light extra hollow blades. The extra inertia heavier blades has gives me more control.
I use a straight razor every day. Most of the time during the week i do one pass and finish with a DE. This is just because of time constraints. During the weekend i like to take my time only using a SR. I think this preserves some of the muscle memory using a SR.
I know, I should just get up early:)

Last edited:
I don't see why wide blades are intimidating. I first shaved with my 8/8 Friodur two months after starting to shave with straights. I wag consumed about six beers.

I finished the shave with no cuts or any other problem. :)

No matter how you hold your razor, you can always brace your hand against your face. For me, the back of my thumb where it joins my hand can often be rested against my face. Other parts of the hand can also be used as a brace. Then my fingers can make controlled motions with the blade. Bracing the hand gives for great control. Try it out with a butter knife.

If nerves are a problem for you, you may find some relief with 'pranayama' or in English breathing exercises. Seems to work for m

Whenever I have shaving discussions with friends and acquaintances, I ask if they ever cut themselves and if they use styptic pencil or toilet paper on their cuts. And they always reply that they do cut themselves. They all use cartridge razors. I never had cut myself with a straight, and I believe that is because using a straight takes you to a level of focus that cartridge shavers never enter.

If you're feeling nervous, take a break, go back to a razor you are comfortable with. I took a 30 year break from SR and recently started up again with a Feather Shavette.

I remember at the time I was working in a high stress job and the whole process of shaving was not compatible with my time constraints.

It's just shaving. :001_smile

Whenever I have shaving discussions with friends and acquaintances, I ask if they ever cut themselves and if they use styptic pencil or toilet paper on their cuts. And they always reply that they do cut themselves. They all use cartridge razors. I never had cut myself with a straight, and I believe that is because using a straight takes you to a level of focus that cartridge shavers never enter.
The mouth area was where I would nick myself with my Mach 3 cartridge. Plus the jaw line would always be missed. Since going back to SR style shaving with my Feather SS, now DX, all nicks and misses have been eliminated.

I recently purchased a Blackland Vector for those days I feel rushed. I've not tried it yet. Guess I don't feel rushed yet.:laugh:

Top Bottom