What's new

Nerdmans Razor Thread

Hello Gents, Ive been away for a while agao, lots pf personal stuff came up, and works been hectic to say the least! but i hope to be an active member on here like i used to be!:thumbup1:

I spent half my day in my work cave today and came up with this! hope you guys like!

Heres a restore rescale for a member

proxy.php

proxy.php

After a lil love!

proxy.php

proxy.php

Here it is all polished out and rescales in red g10

proxy.php

proxy.php

Friodur done in ivory paper micarta, black lined ivory micarta wedge. Gave the blade a nice hand polish as it was in great shape to start with.

proxy.php

proxy.php

This one was a hand polish and rescale in Faux tortoise, amber swirled, lol, i dont know, the name, i just like it!! lol.

proxy.php

proxy.php

These two I finished up a couple of weeks ago,

this lovely fili belongs to Drybonz, I dont have any before pics, but it needed a good cleanup!

Scales are black horn with a butterscotch micarta wedge!

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

This one is MrScruffysm thanks for letting me expirement with this new material! i think it came out great! its very hard to capture the color change but it goes from rootbear brown to orange! looks awesome in sunlight!

proxy.php

proxy.php

I should have about 5 more to finish and post this weekend! Thanks for looking!:thumbup:

Ernie, it looks fantastic! Guys, I will post a couple more pics when my shipment from Nerdman arrives. :thumbup1:

*edit* Also... fantastic cleanup on that Solingen in the red scales.

Last edited:
Great looking work.

Thank you.

Ernie, it looks fantastic! Guys, I will post a couple more pics when my shipment from Nerdman arrives. :thumbup1:

*edit* Also... fantastic cleanup on that Solingen in the red scales.

Thank you Jay, good choice on that butterscotch wedge!

Great work Ernie! I may have another 2 coming your way in the near future

Thank you, anytime man!

Thanks Ernie! The "rootbeer" scales are indeed beautiful.

Thanks Harry, i like the orange color on there so much that im painting one of my cars in that shade. lol.

Cant wait to see what you do with what I sent ! :thumbup:

Well your gonna have to pal! get in line lol. Just kidding, should be all caught up by mid this week and ill get on your this weekend!!:thumbup1:

I finished these up yesterday!! I did a few other restores and cut scales for about 7 other razors. 10 straight hours hunched over infront of a buffer and a belt sander takes it toll. lol. Please excuse the bad indoor pics, but we had rain the whole day! literaly from 6 am to 1 am it rained non stop!! So I couldnt get outside for nicer pics.

Cleaned up the blade a bit, scales are ebony with a bras lined bone wedge. Brass pins.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Here a crazy one lol. Mark approached me with his vision for scales. He wanted abalone and drew me a picture of the scale desin he wanted. So, i polished up the blade, and made the scales out of abalone from masecraft. It was kind of hard sanding inside the wedge area and rear pin, but i think its a cool difrent design. Kind of fish like if you will. I really like the colors in the shell, they go from light to dark, blue to purple. very nice.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

This is a nice lil razor. scales are canvas micarta with a black wedge with a white liner.

proxy.php

proxy.php

This one is AWESOME!! Ive always wanted one, but couldnt find one, so i will settle with restoring it! The scales were nice when it came to me, but the inlays and end caps were a bit tarnished. I sanded the the scales with 600 and 800 thenbuffed them out. The razor hd some bad rust spots so i hit it with greaseless and rouges. it looks as if the razor had never been used and just put away, its a very nice razor!!

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Awesome Razors Ernie ! Fantastic job on all of em, and yes I can't wait to shave with the "Fish" ! Those scales turned out better than I could imagine, and the colors our outstanding, Thanks for a great job Ernie !!!

Mark

Otto Deutsch Hans are superlative razors. I had to resort to restoring one for myself as well, but it definitely had some hone ware and is narrower than original. Still a fabulous shaver and I'm now on the hunt for a mint one to replace it.

Man... that Otto looks great.

Here are some pics of two great restored and rescaled razors I just got back from Nerdman.

The first one is the same Filarmonica in black horn that Ernie has pictured, above. His pics are better (all I have to work with is an iphone camera), but I wanted to show a couple things. The first pic you can really see the white grain in the horn on the back scale. I really love this. In the second one, you can see the fine, light grain on the front scale. It's hard to capture this properly in a picture as you can only see it in good light.

The second razor is an old Wade and Butcher wedge. I asked Ernie to use some traditional materials for this one and he went with wood scales (ebony) and a bone wedge. This was a great cleanup of this blade, actually, if you had seen it before. There is some deep pitting high on the blade, which can't be removed, but really shows the character of the razor and won't affect it functionally in my lifetime. I have tried to show the grain of the wood, the wedge, and the great pinning work (check out how perfect his pins are).

I held the razors in these pics to try to give some idea of the scale/size. Both scales are hefty and feel great in the hand. The wood is particularly light for its size.

I honed the Filarmonica up last night. Got a fantastic shave with it this morning and felt like a king with that great looking razor. I just wanted to put in some good words for Nerdman because I am so happy about how these razors turned out.

Awesome Razors Ernie ! Fantastic job on all of em, and yes I can't wait to shave with the "Fish" ! Those scales turned out better than I could imagine, and the colors our outstanding, Thanks for a great job Ernie !!!

Mark

Thanks Mark! It was fun! Im glad you are happy, its leaving today and should be to you shortly!

Otto Deutsch Hans are superlative razors. I had to resort to restoring one for myself as well, but it definitely had some hone ware and is narrower than original. Still a fabulous shaver and I'm now on the hunt for a mint one to replace it.

Yes they are very nice! It was hard to capture the color but the scales are translucent green!

The abalone scales are very creative and well executed.

N.

Thank you!

Man... that Otto looks great.

Here are some pics of two great restored and rescaled razors I just got back from Nerdman.

The first one is the same Filarmonica in black horn that Ernie has pictured, above. His pics are better (all I have to work with is an iphone camera)....

Thank Jay, I got your voice message, Ill buzz ya a lil later today! But im glad you are happy with the blades! You almost didnt get that Filly back lol:biggrin1:
And your pics are good!! Believe it or not, i use my iphone 4 for all my pics. I have a nice canon d50, but its just collecting dust now. Any buyers???:lol:

The Filly is amazing man... I seriously love the scales.

:thumbup1:

I finished these up today, I posted them earlier, but i just noticed its not here, so lets try again!

all of these were polished, they had a lot of tarnish etc.. cleaned them up the best that i could without removing too much metal. The owner of the blades whanted me to reuse the original pewter wedges. So i was very limited to scale designs, but I still managed to change them up a bit!

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Great work, Ernie! I have a Fish brand razor, and was envisioning getting it restored with scales somewhat like the design you did for Blugill, but your finished product looks better than my imaginary finsihed one does!:lol:

Great work, Ernie! I have a Fish brand razor, and was envisioning getting it restored with scales somewhat like the design you did for Blugill, but your finished product looks better than my imaginary finsihed one does!:lol:

Thank you!! Im sure yours will look awesome man!! Send me some pics when you finish it up!! Always nice too see everyones work!!

Top Bottom