What's new

Neosporin as Aftershave?

Has anyone tried Neosporin as an aftershave? The packaging says it can be used for burns so I would assume it has some way of relieving bad razor burn. Do you believe this would be effective?

I would strongly recommend against it. Antibiotics should only be used for infections. Our skin has normal bacteria that belong there and are symbiotic. There are lots of fabulous aftershave balms that will do a much better job for less and smell better.

PS: I'm and MD with some experience with wound care.

Burns from heat and razor burn are not synonymous. Neosporin would just leave a greasy film on your skin anyway.

I would strongly recommend against it. Antibiotics should only be used for infections. Our skin has normal bacteria that belong there and are symbiotic.

With the explosion of MRSA (antibiotic resistant Staph) I too would recommend against any "extra" use of antibiotics.

(Not an MD but have been accussed of practicing without a license)

I would think for similar money you could by a decent balm. I have not tried it but a lot of members speak highly of nivea products.

I would strongly recommend against it. Antibiotics should only be used for infections. Our skin has normal bacteria that belong there and are symbiotic. There are lots of fabulous aftershave balms that will do a much better job for less and smell better.

PS: I'm and MD with some experience with wound care.

+1

marty

Razor Burn is not an infection so there would be no help from antibiotics. I have not come across a razor burn ever getting infected so likely no preventative benefit from antibiotics. As mentioned above, we have normal skin bacteria that would be affected by chronic topical antibiotics. This may well promote resistant pathogens that would have a greater opportunity for infection given the destruction of the skins normal bacteria. Topical antibiotics for razor burn are a no go for many reasons.

There is something soothing about Neosporin. I love this stuff and I can see how it would sooth a razor burn. I have never tried it that way, (usually only use it on a cut), it sure could not hurt.

I don't think it would be that great to use it by itself ... mixing some Neosporin with a conventional ASB would be the best way to try it out as an experiment.

Still, I would think you'd have to have a really severe case of razor burn to warrant using something like this. If you do experience burn that bad, its likely something else is wrong. Bad lather, dull blade, poor technique, etc.

As others have pointed out, don't over use antibiotics, either as an ASB or for any other purpose ... it probably won't hurt to experiment with once or twice just to check it out, but don't make a regular habit of it.

Top Bottom