What's new

Neo-Lux ultra slant razor

Being a fan of ultra slanted razors, I just bought the following German Neo-Lux razor. Does anyone know anything about the company that produced it?

Best regards,
Alex

Attachments

• $b8e1_1.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 1,307
That's a little scary looking... is the handle/bottom plate hard plastic?

Yes, I believe it is bakelite. The nice thing is that this razor has a few more parts in metal than a similar model I have. It would be great to have one of these completely in metal. One day I will build my own...

Alex

Hi Alex, my trusty "Safety Razor Compendium" edited by Robert Waits says that Neo Lux was a company started by Hermann Zaiss in Solingen-Ohligs, Germany. In addition to the fore mentioned razor the company produced at least 8 models with straight, tilted and adjustable angle heads. There were closed comb, smooth or ribbed bar guards, metal & various colors of plastic, fluted handles. German patents dating back to 1937 and on into the '50s. Three variations of the eight noted are shown in the Compendium, the Neo Lux ,the Neo Ras, and the Neo Gam-Neorador. I am told that the "Schragschnitt" on the box means diagonal head. Here are two that I picked up along the way. I have never shaved with one although I have read of others who shaved with this style and found it very effective.

Attachments

• $neoraz.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 1,359
"Schrägschnitt" means diagonal cut, i.e., these razors have a guillotine-like cutting action, which is identical to the "Gillette slide".

I'm probably preaching to the choir here...

Best - MM

Am I correct: instead of twisting the blade the way the Merkur slant does (I know: it may or may not be a helix), these razors have the entire head on a diagonal? Is that correct?

How heavy is the razor, how does it compare with a Merkur slant for example?

How much do these things usually fetch? I would be extremely interested. They look so...weird (in a good way).

Am I correct: instead of twisting the blade the way the Merkur slant does (I know: it may or may not be a helix), these razors have the entire head on a diagonal? Is that correct?

How heavy is the razor, how does it compare with a Merkur slant for example?

They are like the Mulcato metal Schragschnitt in that the head is straight rather then twisted and tilted on the handle. These are very light and I have as fore mentioned never tried one. I have a few standard slant razors from various manufacturers made of Bakelite. I have read that they were made during WW2 when conservation of metal was mandatory.

How much do these things usually fetch? I would be extremely interested. They look so...weird (in a good way).
I got my two in a package deal with a fellow in Germany and cannot recall what the price breakdown was. Keep your eye on ebay and one will undoubtedly turn up.

Slant-fan,

Thanks for the information. It would be interesting to see pictures of more Neo-Lux razors. Has anyone ever come across other models?
I have shaved with my Swedish Sesam razor, which is very similar to the Neo-Lux, but almost completely made of bakelite. It has given me some sublime shaves, but it has also punished me severely when I wasn't careful. It requires close attention throughout the shave, which is perhaps the only reason why I keep my other razors with which I can shave almost with my eyes closed.

Alex

They are like the Mulcato metal Schragschnitt in that the head is straight rather then twisted and tilted on the handle. These are very light and I have as fore mentioned never tried one. I have a few standard slant razors from various manufacturers made of Bakelite. I have read that they were made during WW2 when conservation of metal was mandatory.

Thanks Jimmy, that's what I thought. I have a notion that they'll shave very well. I may be wrong, but I also suspect that being plastic, they won't stand up to being used the same that a nickel plated brass razor metal razor would.

I got my two in a package deal with a fellow in Germany and cannot recall what the price breakdown was. Keep your eye on ebay and one will undoubtedly turn up.

I have seen one, advertised as a lady's razor (seems to be the same model as that in the first picture in this thread), but no paypal is being accepted.

I got mine on eBay for $15 plus shipping, but I wouldn't part from it for many times that sum, because I really like these types of razors.
Let us know if you ever find one. I'm always interested in learning more about them.

Alex

Are there any other razors of this type? Also, can you get old bakelite slant razors like the Merkur Slant (or old slant razors in general)? Don't really want to spend too much, and Merkur slants are quite pricey.

Are there any other razors of this type? Also, can you get old bakelite slant razors like the Merkur Slant (or old slant razors in general)? Don't really want to spend too much, and Merkur slants are quite pricey.

The only ones that I've ever come across with a slanted head like this are the Neo-razors and the Sesam that I have. They don't seem to be very common. There are other bakelite slants, for example a French model which has been discussed here, but I don't know how common it is. In general these razors shave in quite a different way from the Merkur slant. If you've never tried a slant before, I suggest you try out the Merkur first. Despite some people's claiming it is not a beginner's razor, it is in my opinion much easier to shave with than a Sesam or Neo-Lux.

Alex

By the way, I see that your Neo-Lux has a part-red handle. In addition to mine, with a part-blue handle, I've also seen one with black. Do you know if there is any difference between these razors other than the colour? It reminds me a bit of the red-blue-black-tipped Gillettes. Perhaps they have different angles on the heads, or perhaps it is purely a decoration thing.

Regards,
Alex

I have always been curious about the slant (and now these cool things) but I just could never justify getting one just out of curiosity.

Top Bottom