What's new

Neighborhood grilling Etiquette...

Unless you're one of the guys who puts a bottle of lighter fluid on the briquettes in place of actually knowing how to start a grill, you're good. Charcoal smell good. Lighter fluid smell bad.
So true. I was just at the state park yesterday, Someone started a grill and the lighter fluid scent hung around for a good 20 min to a half hour. An hour later the burgers did smell great. Another half hour after that someone else was using lighter fluid. With chimney starters being so cheap and easy I really don't understand why anyone uses lighter fluid or even worse match light charcoal.

Is this a California joke because if so it’s hilarious? Your number two point I will concede but the rest are truly ridiculous. Where’s OP supposed to use his grill, his bathroom? All because someone is on a diet and we don’t want to offend them with the temptation of food. How about they close the window and go eat a piece of broccoli in the corner while rocking back and forth?
Lol!! Agreed. I've made a decision based on these posts (thanks everyone), to just test the wind, make sure the neighbors are okay and I'm going to use a gas grill. No worries. Weber grills are sweet anyway ,so I'll move to new era

With the chimney starter once the two sheets of newspaper have burned the smoke issues over and you're a good neighbour again, a few minutes at most.
dave

We are all different and I get the fact that some people don't like the smell of charcoal with lighter fluid. Call me crazy but thats one of my favorite smells. Pure summer and baseball. I thought most folks liked it too but yall have opened my eyes a bit.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
So true. I was just at the state park yesterday, Someone started a grill and the lighter fluid scent hung around for a good 20 min to a half hour. An hour later the burgers did smell great. Another half hour after that someone else was using lighter fluid. With chimney starters being so cheap and easy I really don't understand why anyone uses lighter fluid or even worse match light charcoal.
Newspapers are getting harder to come by. Luckily, we have a classified paper (free) call the Green Sheet. Their slogan is “The Green Sheet brings you buyers”. I have modified that to “The Green Sheet lights my fires”. :)

Newspapers are getting harder to come by. Luckily, we have a classified paper (free) call the Green Sheet. Their slogan is “The Green Sheet brings you buyers”. I have modified that to “The Green Sheet lights my fires”. :)
True, we also get a couple free local ones in the mail. If I do run out I just rip a hunk of the bag off and use it.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I use fire sticks. Cheap, easy to light, and no chemicals.

Is this a California joke because if so it’s hilarious? Your number two point I will concede but the rest are truly ridiculous. Where’s OP supposed to use his grill, his bathroom? All because someone is on a diet and we don’t want to offend them with the temptation of food. How about they close the window and go eat a piece of broccoli in the corner while rocking back and forth?

All that I suggested was for the OP to be friendly and talk to his neighbors.

A dedicated wet shaver uses aftershave to light his briquettes :001_tongu

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
the smell of charcoal with lighter fluid. Call me crazy but thats one of my favorite smells. Pure summer and baseball.

proxy.php

Top Bottom