What's new

Neighborhood grilling Etiquette...

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Typically a grill (not gas but charcoal) puts out less smoke and for a short amount time. The smoker I could see being a problem for the neighbor, since a large brisket could be a 15 hour smoke.

What's the general etiquette for outdoor grilling in neighborhood's with close homes. Single family homes but of the cookie cutter type and pretty close to each other?

Most house have decks off the rear. I don't think people would appreciate charcoal very much considering that I grill almost daily... Right? Smoker is probably out of the question..

So a propane grill like a smallish Weber is what I'm thinking. Anything else to consider? And what are some good grilling ideas for standard grilling like this?

Personally, I wouldn't care what grilling method you choose. No way that would bother me. Now, having your radio up too loud while you grill is another issue.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
If I have deal with your dog braking 6-8 hours a day.An little smoke shouldn’t be an issue.
Sounds like a dog that is being ignored. I hate it when people get animals just to have them. If you can't give a pet the attention it needs, you shouldn't have one. Same goes for children.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Sounds like a dog that is being ignored. I hate it when people get animals just to have them. If you can't give a pet the attention it needs, you shouldn't have one. Same goes for children.
+1

Oh, but he/she was a rescue dog so I'm morally superior to anyone in the world.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
+1

Oh, but he/she was a rescue dog so I'm morally superior to anyone in the world.

This is the new addition to the family- found it abandoned. He will be going to the vet soon for his shots and neutering (not looking forward to the two weeks of wearing the cone of shame). This shot was after about an hour of intense "hunting". One second he was "slaying" my hand, then next he was out like a light.
shadow.jpeg

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
This is the new addition to the family- found it abandoned. He will be going to the vet soon for his shots and neutering (not looking forward to the two weeks of wearing the cone of shame). This shot was after about an hour of intense "hunting". One second he was "slaying" my hand, then next he was out like a light.
View attachment 987585
He's adorable Owen. Call him Hunter.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I don't use a leave blower on my BBQ and still they complain.
BBQ when it's raining...….one problem solved.

Nonsense. If I was your neighbor I’d encourage the grilling, even more so with charcoal. But really, unless the smoke is billowing into your neighbors windows or putting blankets of smoke into the air, grill on.

While I enjoy the smell, myself, not everyone does. It's best to ask before making assumptions.

1. Some people are ethically opposed to eating meat, and wouldn't want to smell it cooking.
2. Some people have trouble breathing when smoke is present.
3. Some people are on special diets, and would not appreciate the temptation of smelling food that they can't eat.

If you ask around, with any luck your neighbors will be fine with it. Then you can enjoy your grilling without guilt, and they will appreciate the courtesy that you have shown them. Sounds like a win all around.

While I enjoy the smell, myself, not everyone does. It's best to ask before making assumptions.

1. Some people are ethically opposed to eating meat, and wouldn't want to smell it cooking.
2. Some people have trouble breathing when smoke is present.
3. Some people are on special diets, and would not appreciate the temptation of smelling food that they can't eat.

If you ask around, with any luck your neighbors will be fine with it. Then you can enjoy your grilling without guilt, and they will appreciate the courtesy that you have shown them. Sounds like a win all around.
Is this a California joke because if so it’s hilarious? Your number two point I will concede but the rest are truly ridiculous. Where’s OP supposed to use his grill, his bathroom? All because someone is on a diet and we don’t want to offend them with the temptation of food. How about they close the window and go eat a piece of broccoli in the corner while rocking back and forth?

What's the general etiquette for outdoor grilling in neighborhood's with close homes. Single family homes but of the cookie cutter type and pretty close to each other?

Most house have decks off the rear. I don't think people would appreciate charcoal very much considering that I grill almost daily... Right? Smoker is probably out of the question..

So a propane grill like a smallish Weber is what I'm thinking. Anything else to consider? And what are some good grilling ideas for standard grilling like this?

Just invite your neighbors over for a beer and a burger. You might even make new friends

Top Bottom