What's new

Neighborhood grilling Etiquette...

What's the general etiquette for outdoor grilling in neighborhood's with close homes. Single family homes but of the cookie cutter type and pretty close to each other?

Most house have decks off the rear. I don't think people would appreciate charcoal very much considering that I grill almost daily... Right? Smoker is probably out of the question..

So a propane grill like a smallish Weber is what I'm thinking. Anything else to consider? And what are some good grilling ideas for standard grilling like this?

Nonsense. If I was your neighbor I’d encourage the grilling, even more so with charcoal. But really, unless the smoke is billowing into your neighbors windows or putting blankets of smoke into the air, grill on.

Nonsense. If I was your neighbor I’d encourage the grilling, even more so with charcoal. But really, unless the smoke is billowing into your neighbors windows or putting blankets of smoke into the air, grill on.
Okay good to know and thanks. I will check the air flow. Luckily neighbors have their corner deck on the other side..

I've never worried about it. I like to smell someone else's grill. Also like when the next door neighbor burns wood in the winter for heat. Didn't even mind his rooster. But the other neighbor's dog barking all night long I could do without.

I've never worried about it. I like to smell someone else's grill. Also like when the next door neighbor burns wood in the winter for heat. Didn't even mind his rooster. But the other neighbor's dog barking all night long I could do without.
I love to smell of BBQs wafting in too, so hopefully whoever moves in will be like you guys...

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member

Bingo.

I lived in a big city for...IDK...12-15 years. Never once was I ever upset because “bozo next door is grilling again”. Nor have I ever heard any of my friends, who also have only ever lived in a big city, complain to me about neighbors grilling.

Most neighbors are eager to talk about your grill! What kind of grill you got? What you cooking? How do you cook such and such?

And if by some astronomical amount of bad neighbor luck someone complains......just offer them some BBQ.

Bingo.

I lived in a big city for...IDK...12-15 years. Never once was I ever upset because “bozo next door is grilling again”. Nor have I ever heard any of my friends, who also have only ever lived in a big city, complain to me about neighbors grilling.

Most neighbors are eager to talk about your grill! What kind of grill you got? What you cooking? How do you cook such and such?

And if by some astronomical amount of bad neighbor luck someone complains......just offer them some BBQ.
Sweet! Okay thanks everyone.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I don't think people would appreciate charcoal very much considering that I grill almost daily...

All depends on whether or not you occasionally invite them over to share in the deliciousness.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
My neighbor lady just died- she was 92. She was also a lifelong vegetarian. I once asked her if my grilling bothered her. She said no- while she didn’t eat meat, she liked the smell of it grilling. Get to know your neighbors. They will do things that you may not like, and vice versa. But you can come to an understanding.

Your house, your property, grill away. I wouldn't even worry about the wind direction or smoke, you have no control over that outdoors.

If there's not good winds blowing I have to shut up the house or go inside if i'm out when my neighbour uses dryer sheets in her clothes dryer or uses the two stroke gas mower. I could see people having issues with the neighbours grilling habits. No different then the person stinking up the room after a aftershave/cologne bath.
dave

Unless you're one of the guys who puts a bottle of lighter fluid on the briquettes in place of actually knowing how to start a grill, you're good. Charcoal smell good. Lighter fluid smell bad.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
If you have enough smoke billowing that it's a problem for more than a few moments, then you're doing it wrong. I agree to put that lighter fluid aside and get a chimney starter.

It's good that you are thinking about your neighbors, though! That's something that seems to be going by the wayside. I also agree that true etiquette involves getting to know your neighbors or, at least, making a good faith effort. I know some neighbors don't want to be known, but there's nothing you can do about that.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
If there's not good winds blowing I have to shut up the house or go inside if i'm out when my neighbour uses dryer sheets in her clothes dryer or uses the two stroke gas mower. I could see people having issues with the neighbours grilling habits. No different then the person stinking up the room after a aftershave/cologne bath.
dave
If I smell a neighbor grilling and I can’t, I may get jealous but not mad. I would hope they feel the same if the shoe was on the other foot.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
If I was going to light a charcoal BBQ, I'd make sure none of the nearby neighbours had laundry out on the line first. If they did, I might either wait a while, or mention my intentions to them, so they have chance to bring it in if they wish. With a gas BBQ, I'd probably be less concerned. Otherwise, crack on.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
If I was going to light a charcoal BBQ, I'd make sure none of the nearby neighbours had laundry out on the line first. If they did, I might either wait a while, or mention my intentions to them, so they have chance to bring it in if they wish. With a gas BBQ, I'd probably be less concerned. Otherwise, crack on.
Valid point. None of mine do, but if they did I could relocate depending on wind.

I used to live in a fairly dense neighborhood, and about the only thing of my neighbors that I didn’t mind was the smell of a grill.

Top Bottom