What's new

Needing something for very sensitive skin

Hey guys I'm finally back, been a while and I have let me beard grow out.
I'm looking to get back into the game, but I need a safety, soaps and blades that will be good if I have super sensitive skin

Thanks guys,
Joe

My throat/under-chin area is very sensitive. The best I've found so are is the Feather AS-D2. It's a bit pricey, but the most mild razor I've tried so far. There is a learning curve due to the very small gap and tiny blade exposure, but it is worth the effort. The second best that I've actually tired is a very, very cheap razor - the Lord LG. I think I paid $10 at Amazon for it and it shaves very close to good as the AS-D2. A third good choice is the Parker Variant. It is an adjustable that on the most mild setting (1) it is very mild and I can use it with very, very little irritation.

My research indicates that the Merkur 15C/25C Open Comb is also a very mild razor. I have a 25C (the long handle version of the 15C) being delivered today. I'll post a first shave review this afternoon or tomorrow morning.

My blade of choice so far is the very sharp Feathers. I find that I am able to get BBS with a lot less passes/clean up strokes with these blades. My second blade of choice is the Voshkods. I love the way they shave my upper face, but they do give me a little bit of throat irritation.

I've only bought a few full size containers of soap so far (PAA Gondolier, Schafmilch Rasierseife (Ewe`s Milk Shave Soap) by Haslinger) and ton of samples. The hands-down winner for slickness seems to be the Schafmilch Rasierseife. When using it I get virtually no razor burn on my throat.

My after shave routine involves the following: cold water rinse, witch hazel, Nivea Sensitive Skin Balm (after the witch hazel dries) and then PAA Gondolier After Shave or one of the Clubman after shave.

One other thing that really helps with my irritation issue doing cold water shave. I wet my face with cold water, make my lather with cold water and rinse my face with cold water.

Oh, and I forgot that I now use Proraso Mentholated pre-shave. I find it really helps too.

Good luck

Btw, I'm a noobie in the sense that I returned to wet shaving about 2 months ago after a 48-52 year hiatus.

You will really have to pick blade according to how coarse beard you have. A too dull blade will pull, tug, skip and maybe even cause the blade to slightly flex making the shave rough and unpleasant. Try at least (in approximate order of sharpness) Voskhod, Astra SP, Gillette Silver Blue, KAI, Feather. These blades are highly appreciated by many.

Most shaving soaps will work, but you could consider to get a bottle of glycerin. Add a tiny amount of glycerin to the soap before lathering up and the razor will glide better and the soap will dry less up during the shave.

The choice of razor for a sensitive skin is a more difficult problem. There are two common opinions: Use mild razors as they are mild for the face or use aggressive razors because you need fewer passes and each pass might irritate.

I belonged to the latter group for quite some time, but as my skills as been developing, I have been cutting down on my passes even with mild razors.

If you go the mild razor route, in my opinion you would get a great razor if you bought iKon ShaveCraft X3. Read a few reviews of this one! Many do not consider this to be a razor for a newbie, as it is "too mild". A mild razor got its quirks. Almost all mild razors requires good skills in finding the right angle and keeping it and this razor is not exception. Also, you hardly feel any blade at all and this might lead you to add pressure, which is a no-no! The biggest drawback with X3 is that you have to align the blade manually with help of the nails each time you load it.

Last edited:
My research indicates that the Merkur 15C/25C Open Comb is also a very mild razor.

This is very true. I have 15C and it is mild in the sense of not shaving ultra close. It got negative blade exposure, so if the skin would be completely flat and you truly had no pressure the blade would never touch the skin.

Still, this razor is very efficient. You could mow down a month of growth without trimming first.

Many agree on several similar forums, that most of the gentlemen with sensitive skin rather have a suboptimal preshave routine. Don't get me wrong, I'm not judging nor lecturing, let alone without even knowing you, just telling that improving on the preps might make wonders.
This can include showering before shaving although this is not working for everyone, hot towel on a generously pre-shaved face, longer work with the brush on your face, working out the water need for your soap, and finding the best razor-blade combo for your liking. The last one in fact can be a pretty long procedure.

Going with a mild and efficient razors like the ones already recommended is also a good idea. My 2c is any of the parker open combs, or the maggard open comb which share the same great head.

Good luck!

Many agree on several similar forums, that most of the gentlemen with sensitive skin rather have a suboptimal preshave routine. Don't get me wrong, I'm not judging nor lecturing, let alone without even knowing you, just telling that improving on the preps might make wonders.
This can include showering before shaving although this is not working for everyone, hot towel on a generously pre-shaved face, longer work with the brush on your face, working out the water need for your soap, and finding the best razor-blade combo for your liking. The last one in fact can be a pretty long procedure.

Going with a mild and efficient razors like the ones already recommended is also a good idea. My 2c is any of the parker open combs, or the maggard open comb which share the same great head.

Good luck!

+1. IME, there is no 'magic' hardware or software. The keys to a good shave are good prep plus good technique. Once you get those down, you can focus on the particular products that result in a bit more improvement. Just my $0.02.

My vote goes to the Rockwell 6 S. With a choice of 6 base plates, you will find the one that works best for you.
As for blades, Derby blades are very mild.
Finally, you can't go wrong with Nivea Sensitive Skin Aftershave Balm. Good luck!

I have super sensitive skin, and nothing will help you more than good technique combined with proper prep. That being said, my EJ de86 (now the de89) combined with a sharp blade and light touch give me incredibly close, irritation free shaves. Creams and soaps are a problem, get samples and see what works best. Many times, you'll get sensitized to a cream or soap that started off fine within a few weeks of using it, that's just the breaks with this kind of skin. It's happened to me with most of my faves. One thing that may help is to use a bit more water making a lather than you normally would. My GFT Coconut messes my skin up if I don't add sufficient water. I also shave as quickly as I can while still using good technique. The less time the lather spends on your face, the better your chances of not having a reaction. Lather in patches then shave and go onto the next if you need to. As for unscented stuff, the one I tried gave me the worst reaction to a soap I've ever had, so it means nothing IMO.

Go with a blue tip Gillette. It's what I started on and I used feathers to. Sharper can also mean less tugging which means less irritation. Just take it slow.

If you want an easy razor, how about the vintage Gillette tech? Should be able to get one fairly easily in the BST.

Happy Shaving
-Chris
US Army Veteran, Foxhole Shavers Club Member

I have sensitive skin and I'm prone to ingrown hairs. These are the things I do that work for me.
  • Use a preshave oil. I use Shave Secret because it's available locally, but I'm sure any of them will work.
  • Shave with cold water
  • Use an unscented shaving cream. This only makes a difference if you're sensitive to fragrances. Kiss My Face is a cheap option to try that is easy to lather and is probably available locally.
  • Use a razor with good blade feel. I find that it helps me to keep the correct angle and use minimal pressure if I can feel the blade.
  • Only shave with the grain.
These might not be the answer to your problems, but maybe some of it will help you. As far as blades go, I use Personna Lab. I think they're worth trying if you haven't tried them yet, but blades are so personal that you need to try a few different blades.

Nivea Sensitive after shave balm. Skip after shave with alcohol as it adds to drying of the skin.

Good advice above ^

I really like Soap Commander's Integrity balm, the non-mentholated one. No scent, and it really makes my skin feel good if I happen to get a bit of razor burn.

Prep and technique were the biggest eye-openers for me. When I started shaving with a DE razor (Merkur 34C), I took the advice I had found online: shower and make sure face is washed gently, so as to not start irritation by scrubbing. Mantic59 suggested trying some conditioner on the whiskers, as it was made for hair! I have been doing this daily for some time now. However, one day several months ago, I opted to shave the way I did for years when I shaved with carts and cans: I did a quick wash and splash in the sink and lathered up. Worst shave ever with DE for me. So if I ever shave before showering now, I really take my time to soak the beard. And time marched on, my technique improved to the point where I was getting great shaves with razors that I hadn't liked when I first got them early in my DE experience.

Bottom Line: focus on prep, technique will come, don't use alcohol splashes until you get irritation free shaves!
Good luck to you!

Good luck!

I agree with the Parker 24/26c. They are the best I've found for my sensitive skin paired with an Astra SP. Even better buy one of the heads paired with one of Maggards fantastic handles. The feather AS-D2 is a same or similar head to the Gillette Tech. You could pick one up on EBay fairly inexpensively. Watch out for brush burn as well. A good silvertip or synthetic helps. I personally like Mitchell's Wool Fat for protection and post shave. Happy shopping and good luck.

Top Bottom