What's new

need your help/advice

I am almost embarrassed to post this but here goes. Yesterday, late morning, I walk into my bathroom and see my Rooney brush sitting upside down on side of sink. I realized I forgot to rinse it off after shaving the day before. In over 10 yrs of wet shaving this has never happened. I immediately started rinsing it off and even let it sit in water for about 10 minutes. It is still a little stiff a day later. It sat on side of sink after shaving for about 18-20 hours I figure. I began to ask myself how this happened and then I remembered that I was real angry when I dropped my Alum block and had it break into small pieces on the floor. I guess when I went to clean that off the floor I forgot about cleaning the brush.
It is no fun getting old.
Anyway, the brush still feels a little stiff. I haven't used it since. (working from home means grooming gets lax). Is the brush still alright to use?

Lather it with something to get soap residue out. Shampoo would be the ticket. Doesn't have to be long, a 30 second lathering. You can do it a few times and then after rinsing let it dry. It isn't good it was left as such, but it was an accident, and time will reveal if it did anything. The reason it isn't good is that the soap residue weakens the hair over time.

Shampoo would be the ticket. Doesn't have to be long, a 30 second lathering.
Agree with that fix and it will return to normal condition after just one shampoo. Worst case scenario would be a clean with a 10% solution of white vinegar but do not soak in the solution for more than 30 minutes. Care and maintenance in the Shaving brush Wiki is covered in the Wiki here: Interactive Guide to the Shaving Brushes | Badger & Blade

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
My go-to for cleaning brushes is Dr. Bronner’s Liquid 18-in-1 Castile Soap. It’s concentrated and a great all around cleaning item to have around the house. My brushes seem to stay nice and clean with an occasional wash with it.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Yep, a gentle shampoo, water rinse, then swish in some vinegar a couple times.
Should be better than it was two days ago.

Reactions: bjm
Your brush should be fine. I've got Rooneys, Simpsons, 2-band Thater and Shavemac brushes. I'm on well water and even rinsing well after shaving doesn't get it all out. If I don't use a shave brush for a couple of weeks, they all feel somewhat stiff when dry. At least once a year, more with frequently used brushes, I palm-lather them with some Dawn dish soap, rinse, then do a short soak in diluted vinegar. They come out feeling as soft as new. Nothing better than vinegar for rinsing anything. My wife and I have used it in the rinse cycle of our clothes washer (instead of stinky Downy crap) for over 20 years.

Tips for dealing with a broken or unwanted alum block:
- use the larger portion as a deodorant. Wet the block and apply. Let the pits dry before putting on clothes and it works better than any store deodorant.
- put the small pieces into a baggie and pulverize with a hammer. For weepers or nicks, nothing stops bleeding faster than using a wet finger to apply pulverized alum. Make a paste for more serious cuts. Just brush off when dry. I've used alum for shaving cuts since the mid 1960s. Back then they actually sold shaving alum. The stuff lasted forever. I still keep some 60s alum around, mostly to annoy my wife. It drives her nuts and she's been threatening to throw it out for more than 50 years. I keep it well hidden and sometimes taunt her by saying I used it, but for most minor weepers today I'll use McCormicks Alum from the grocery spice aisle.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Your brush should be fine. I've got Rooneys, Simpsons, 2-band Thater and Shavemac brushes. I'm on well water and even rinsing well after shaving doesn't get it all out. If I don't use a shave brush for a couple of weeks, they all feel somewhat stiff when dry. At least once a year, more with frequently used brushes, I palm-lather them with some Dawn dish soap, rinse, then do a short soak in diluted vinegar. They come out feeling as soft as new. Nothing better than vinegar for rinsing anything. My wife and I have used it in the rinse cycle of our clothes washer (instead of stinky Downy crap) for over 20 years.

Tips for dealing with a broken or unwanted alum block:
- use the larger portion as a deodorant. Wet the block and apply. Let the pits dry before putting on clothes and it works better than any store deodorant.
- put the small pieces into a baggie and pulverize with a hammer. For weepers or nicks, nothing stops bleeding faster than using a wet finger to apply pulverized alum. Make a paste for more serious cuts. Just brush off when dry. I've used alum for shaving cuts since the mid 1960s. Back then they actually sold shaving alum. The stuff lasted forever. I still keep some 60s alum around, mostly to annoy my wife. It drives her nuts and she's been threatening to throw it out for more than 50 years. I keep it well hidden and sometimes taunt her by saying I used it, but for most minor weepers today I'll use McCormicks Alum from the grocery spice aisle.
My wife obviously has no hope of me maturing as I age!

I'd try Borax if you had any. Tablespoon in a cup of warm water for 10 minutes.

From the thread; 'Have you ever worn our a brush?' Click to Expand

Of course, several. Always left lather in them for the next day's shave which means they were rinsed... occasionally. Ever wonder why a brush looks like this?

proxy.php

It's from leaving them on the puck of Williams (or Cogate or OS) after every shave like this.

proxy.php

Last edited:

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Follow the advice from our esteemed members and you should be fine. Give the brush a spa and it should come out in top form. Some of the used brushes that I have bought have turned up needing a really good clean and they have worked out well.

Thanks guys. I gave the brush a shampoo with some mild hair shampoo, thoroughly rinsed and it seems fine. It's a 10+ yr old Rooney so maybe it's near time for a new brush.

Reactions: bjm
This is a place full of good advice. Glad you weren't waiting for mine!

Good to here you got it cleaned & it will be back to lathering in no time. Enjoy!

Top Bottom