What's new

Need to rethink the Pass 3 idea?

I am a daily shaver - both head and face. I can do one or two passes on my head with no problem and get an excellent shave. Part of the reason is that the grain on my head goes in one direction.

My face - particularly my neck - is another matter. The grain on my next goes in numerous directions and seems to change every inch or so. I have a similar problem on parts of my cheeks - but not as bad as my neck. For me, WTG and ATG are meaningless because with every direction I go it will be a mixture. What I have done is to find which direction my beard grows for the most part and that becomes my "WTG pass" even though it could be ATG or XTG in spots. So, my first pass is North to South. I do a four-pass shave and rarely get a cut and neck. However, I have found I need to use a less aggressive razor and use a light touch.

If you are fortunate and have grain that does not change direction that often you can safely use fewer passes. I wish I could be in that camp.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I don't think I have ever tried a 3 pass shave. I am more of a 2 pass modified? 1st pass face & neck is wtg. 2nd pass is xtg on face and atg on neck & chin.

I do a diagonal touch up, to get the 2 grooves or indentions on either side of my adam's apple and I'm done. Always a DFS. I don't personally believe there is any such thing as BBS.

I started off with a three pass shave (WTG, XTG, and ATG) but after a while and with a medium aggression razor, I cut out the XTG pass. My shaves now feel much better (well, when I'm using certain blades, anyway) such that I can even end up with a BBS with no irritation whatsoevet.

Start using a nice pre shave soap if possible use a sisal scrub spongue

Night before use some night cream or rubb some shaving oil in.

And last resort skip the atg at least in the neck (though I skip xtg in my neck).

I have moved to 2 mostly, BUT it has to be an efficient razor and a sharp blade...otherwise it's wasted effort. One pass down one up. No buffing. Might need a razor with more bite.....or try an adjustable....best thing on earth....can switch gap on the run.

Eben Stone

Staff member
Each pass gives more opportunity to cut and nick yourself.

IMO, the answer is not to reduce the passes, but to complete the most difficult pass (the ATG pass) first. That way the additional passes are easier on your face. I know YMMV and all that, probably not for everyone. But it definitely works well for me.

The quality of my shaves noticeably improved when I started going first pass ATG. Zero irritation. Took me about 10 shaves to get it right. Some razor + blade combinations are better for this than others. Now going first pass WTG feels so weird (I still try it sometimes, especially with new razors or blades).

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I wouldn't change your routine based on one bad experience. I'm two passes on face and four on neck and I generally shave daily so too me more passes doesn't cause any issues. Is your thinking just a matter of...the more passes you do the more likely you are of nicking yourself?

I stick to two passes with a third pass on neck and mustache. If I go against the grain on second pass I tend to regret it so I do two across grain.

I wouldn't change your routine based on one bad experience. I'm two passes on face and four on neck and I generally shave daily so too me more passes doesn't cause any issues. Is your thinking just a matter of...the more passes you do the more likely you are of nicking yourself?
Pretty much. Though the nick on my left cheek came from pass 2, and I don't do a pass 3 there.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Pretty much. Though the nick on my left cheek came from pass 2, and I don't do a pass 3 there.

You're very methodical...read your posts on the daily shave. I would chalk it up as an aberration. Better shaves ahead, comrade!

I don't think I have ever tried a 3 pass shave. I am more of a 2 pass modified? 1st pass face & neck is wtg. 2nd pass is xtg on face and atg on neck & chin.
I used to do a conventional three-pass shave, but this ^^^ is very similar to what I do now. Just as effective for me and a lot more comfortable as well. Am I getting BBS shaves? Don't know, don't really care.

You're very methodical...read your posts on the daily shave. I would chalk it up as an aberration. Better shaves ahead, comrade!
Too much Ellery Queen as a young lad!

Well, tomorrow is a day for one of my slants, and I usually do a 24-hour beard shave on Sundays. On Tuesday next week, then, I'll try 1 pass on the cheeks and 2 on the throat on a 48-hour beard instead of 2 and 3, and I'll see if I like the result.

Last edited:
I'm very lucky. I have, according to an old barber friend who's given me a couple of straight shaves, a beard that shaves average. I always go three passes and always get bbs results. No chasing, no touching up, and I often go a month or two without any weepers.

Do what works for you. I guess less passes does reduce the risk of getting sliced but as others have said you could also get cut on your first pass. Or you could focus on your technique. I sometimes get cut because I get overly comfortable and shave recklessly.

Top Bottom