What's new

Need to replace a brush in rotation.

So i have a total of 3 brushes.

One is a cheap Clubman Pinaud synthetic that came in a kit with some soap and aftershave. This one will become a travel brush. Its not great but its functional.

The next is my pure badger. I cant remember the brand but it came from Amazon. I paid about $10 for it because it was my first brush and i was trying to get started without a huge investment. I find it to scritchy and it doesn't have a lot of loft. It works good for painting the lather on though which is what i typically do anyway.

My favorite brush is from Rocky mountain barber supply, which i also bought on amazon. This one is advertised as "best 100% pure badger hair" which before i knew what these terms meant i didn't know any better. I am assuming at a price point of $20 it is probably pure badger, but it is definitely less scritchy. It has more loft and is softer.

I am not opposed to other brands of brushes, but i really want to try a Simpson this go around.

I am looking for something lofty, soft, and around the $50 price point. I have been doing some research and found the best badger special for about $32, but i also noticed there is the berkeley for about $5 more.

I dont know enough about the specifications yet to be knowledgeable, but it appears the Berkeley may have more loft and a different handle over the special?

It looks like there is a comodore and duke also in the sub $50 range.

If i had to pick a brush with loft and softness which of these is my best bet?

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Go ahead and get the Berkeley in best badger. It's not what I'd call lofty but it is a great way to see what the Simpson line is all about and is a very good and well-made brush. I've got two and use them regularly.

If it doesn't meet your expectations the resale on that brand is good and you'll be able to easily sell it with only a small loss. A Commodore X2 for under $50 would be a great value by the way.

Commodore or Colonel are both longer handled/loft. If you are in the USA the Colonel X2L and Commodore X1/X2 are under $50US and great brushes.

I would guess you are in Canada (I may be wrong) as Rocky Mountain stuff is mainly sold thru Amazon Canada. In Canada, the best deal going is the Simpson Special. $40CAD in Pure Badger and $50 in Best Badger. Both on Amazon. The best is my choice. These aren’t exactly tall lofted brushes, but a great into to badger and Simpson.

Commodore or Colonel are both longer handled/loft. If you are in the USA the Colonel X2L and Commodore X1/X2 are under $50US and great brushes.

I would guess you are in Canada (I may be wrong) as Rocky Mountain stuff is mainly sold thru Amazon Canada. In Canada, the best deal going is the Simpson Special. $40CAD in Pure Badger and $50 in Best Badger. Both on Amazon. The best is my choice. These aren’t exactly tall lofted brushes, but a great into to badger and Simpson.

I am in the USA, Wisconsin to be exact. Which some days feels like Canada.

I have been to Ignace in Ontario, Canada once actually. Nice place, good food, and lots of pine trees and moose.

I am in the USA, Wisconsin to be exact. Which some days feels like Canada.

I have been to Ignace in Ontario, Canada once actually. Nice place, good food, and lots of pine trees and moose.
Cool.

here are some great options. Alrossa thru Amazon is legit and the cheapest IME for Simpson...

X3. Big brush but the best Simpson value IMO

Colonel. One of my favourites. Similar to above but with a thinner knot

The $37 Berkeley. Nice brush but a shorter handle and loft.

You really can’t go wrong with either but I would go Colonel for $49.

"I am looking for something lofty, soft,"

I was about to say, lets not forget Kent brushes. Soft, lofty and a very good quality. Having just been on their site its clear they no longer do badger as everything I could see was now synthetic. Price wise all below the £50 mark. I'm excited to see that they have reinstated the the Kent "V" handle in both ivory and black. Could my Kent collection get a little bigger?

As regards the original post, have you considered any of the Muhle range or Omega badgers?

Last edited:
Top Bottom