What's new

Need to get Opinions on what people call a thing (Part 1) - Please!

What Do You Call This Part of an Adjustable Razor?

• Adjustment Plate

Votes: 19 37.3%
  • Bottom Plate

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • Base Plate

Votes: 22 43.1%
  • Other name

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't know

Votes: 4 7.8%

• Total voters
Bottom-B.jpg

R

romsitsa

Hello,

it's the adjuster plate in my nomenclature, Gillette called this platform.

Adam

R

romsitsa

Saw your comment in the anatomy topic Glenn. My logic is that the base plate on every razor is the part where you put the blade. Blade bed could also work, but for me the blade bed is only the upper surface of the base plate :001_huh:.
The adjuster plate is at the bottom of the head assembly, but the real function of it is to adjust the blade and gap, so to me it's more logical to call it adjuster plate.

Adam

Saw your comment in the anatomy topic Glenn. My logic is that the base plate on every razor is the part where you put the blade. Blade bed could also work, but for me the blade bed is only the upper surface of the base plate :001_huh:.
The adjuster plate is at the bottom of the head assembly, but the real function of it is to adjust the blade and gap, so to me it's more logical to call it adjuster plate.

Adam

Hey Adam. Thanks so much for your considered comments. I sincerely appreciate them. Could you do me a favor? I am trying to get untainted opinions from people. To people in general: Comments are super-valuable but even more so when they are used to explain your "Other name" poll response. Thanks again!

I say baseplate because there are British Aristocrats that look similar to an adjustable where that arrow is pointed.

Hi,

I call it the bottom plate, but adjuster plate would be equally good. And, if the designer called it that, then that is what it is.

Stan

Make sure to cast your vote friends. Let your opinions be heard. Only 1 in 10 are voting and there has to be a choice; either "Other" or "Don't know" works too.

Hi,

Yes, do vote. First, if possible. Don't let the chatter influence you. I voted first, then read, and so voted Bottom Plate. Then, I read that the Gillette term was Adjuster Plate. And, so I would have gone along with the creators and voted Adjuster Plate if I had read that before voting....

Although, I will admit, some parts have rather poor names from the creators....

Stan

I said "bottom plate" but to me that is synonymous with "base plate." That said, i also see the inside, i think you call it a "blade bed," as a base or bottom plate. So I would say "pat pending" is stamped on the underside or bottom on the base plate....or inside the razor head on the base plate / top of the base plate. How's that for terrible terminology slippage :)

I have declared a winner of the name for this part. It is an "Adjustment Plate". It is a different part than the "Blade Bed"/"Safety Bar Plate" and can not have the same name. I too have called this part by the wrong name so I am guilty too. We must all change our terminology or people will get confused and not know what the heck we are talking about.

This is Chris Evatt's terminology guide:

Fat Boy Anatomy-ChrisEvatt.jpg

Top Bottom