What's new

Need to clean & polish some vintage razors - Is Scrubbing bubles safe?

Besides my gold aristocrat, I have several other vintage razors that are in need of a good cleaning and maybe some polishing. I wanted to know if Scrubbing Bubbles was OK to use on the plated razors.
Also, what's a good way to restore some of the shine and luster? Would metal polishing compounds be OK or are they too abrasive?

Bonus question: what is the silver colored metal that's used to plate the razors?

Scrubbing Bubbles is safe, avoid the one with bleach if you're cleaning razors with anodized aluminum handles like the Black Handle Super Speeds or Super Adjustables.

Most vintage razors are nickel plated and metal polish will be fine, MAAS, Flitz, Simichrome are some of the brands most people use.

If the razor is silver plated (i.e. older Gillettes like the Single Rings and New Improved models, some NEWs, etc) use only a silver polish, or the baking soda/aluminum foil method.

I don't recommend polishing gold plated razors.

I believe SB non-bleach is ok (Gang?), but I would stick with Dawn and hot - not boiling - water and a toothbrush.
I use an ultrasonic cleaner..
The gold is very thin, comes off easy.. The others are probably nickel plated..

Safe - Perhaps
Necessary - No

+1 to above, stick with hot soapy water, a toothbrush and elbow grease to clean. Then, polish properly and you should be all set.

The non-bleach Scrubbing Bubbles is perfectly safe and a common cleaning took of many members here. It will easily clean and disinfect your razor.

The Scrubbing Bubbles might be enough but if you have to polish them then I've had good luck with Flitz, it's pretty safe for all metals but if any of your razors are gold then you have to be careful since the gold wash is very thin. As others mentioned it might be safer to not polish gold razors.

$full_foaming_bathroom.jpg

Aside from Scrubbing Bubbles, I've also used Lime Away. I haven't had any issues so far using it on nickel plated razors (Super Speeds, Flare Tips, Techs, Fat Boy), gold plated razors (Techs and New), or chrome plated razors (Merkur 42c).

I use an old toothbrush to get into the small spaces.

If you need to polish a gold plated razor, I've had good luck with a soft toothbrush and toothpaste. Don't overdo it!

If you need to polish a gold plated razor, I've had good luck with a soft toothbrush and toothpaste. Don't overdo it!
I've never tried it on a gold-plated razor, but Bon Ami cleanser is an old-time non-abrasive product ("hasn't scratched yet" is their ad phrase). Should be good.

Top Bottom