What's new

Need some LIFE advice from you all seasoned fellas.

Question occurs to me - were you hoping to get different advice this time around than from 6 months ago? Is this the same situation?
(Sorry I'm cursed with an indelible forum memory :) )

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence...are you sure you know all that is involved with job B? How will you feel once the novelty wears off?

Hopefully I'm wrong, I'm trying to be polite, but based on what you wrote it seems that perhaps you might be yearning for your past college glory days. Before throwing away a good paying job in this economy to "follow your heart", remember that the heart is very fickle.

If you want to alleviate your boredom, I would strongly suggest you to find a cause or hobby which would enable you to meet passionate people.

I've seen a lot of people who get well paying jobs early in life go through what you are going through today. I bet if you asked the guy who has job B right now, he would take your job A.

Last edited:
I'm in your situation, except there is no job B. I say, and I've heard the same from others, take the risk now while you are young. I don't know what job B is, but just because the pay is low now doesn't mean it won't lead to much, much better things. Think of all of the mega-rich people there are (musicians, actors, CEOs, just about anyone successful) that started out dirt poor but did it because the loved it, and made it into something. Besides being close to family, you have little other attachment or responsibility now. Take the risk. Everyone else will understand. If you feel it isn't working out after a while, you still have your degree. I'm sure there will be plenty more Job A's around there for you.

You only live once. Don't let life waste away when you're clearly unhappy.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Back in the day, it was the done thing for kids out of college to go do some work for the Peace Corps. You know, go to some isolated village in Africa or Borneo or something, and teach the locals how to use mosquito nets, drive a stick, and tie a half windsor. It was fun ... it was a blast ... it was "the best time of my life ... living in a little mud hut with no electricity" yada yada yada. Then they come home, get real jobs with real paycheques, and start living the comfortable first-world life.

Not many people had the fortitude to stick it out in Bora Bora for decades decades, in the same mud hut. Yes, there are people who enjoy living "non-normal" lives of frugality, simplicity, servitude, whatever. Those are strange, special people.

Are you one of them?

None of us will know ... only you will ... and a few close family and friends who know you well. Personally, a dream job with no pay and no time off would wear thin after a few years, and I'd get fed up with living in a tiny apartment, having nothing set away for retirement, and having no prospects of improvement or of being able to consider a wife and kids the way I'd want to. (And yes, "wife and kids" can spring up on you all of a sudden, even at your age. There's as many women in this world as men, so ... you know.)

One more thought.

Some people think that life should be a "plateau of contentment", where every day you are happy and content with your lot in life and all is going well and so forth. Maybe, but maybe life should be a "peaks and valleys" sort of thing: you spend most of your time slogging through the valleys of "meh", and occasionally rise up to peaks of true enjoyment and "moments of a lifetime". Make a list of the ten things you want to do or places you want to go in your lifetime. Shoot for the moon, here. Anything at all. A month backpacking around India? Golfing the Old Course at St. Andrews? Dinner at every three-star restaurant in Paris and London? Just walk into Mordor with a ring? Hey, it's your list (and it'll be subject to change as you age ... deal with it). Which job will help you finish that list?

My first thought (and current one) is that you have answered your own question:

Job B:
-Very fun and very passionate about.

-In an amazing city that I use to live in, went to college in and love to death. Been dying to go back.

-I actually would wake up every day motivated and happy, rather than counting down to 5pm like I do with Job A.

Most choices in life are not permanent. You are still young enough to change your job again, but if you don't do it soon you probably can't ever go back and do it again later...

One thing that is missing from your post, and most likely your thought process, is where you want to be in the future. Where do you want to be in life 5, 10, 20, and even 50 years from now? It's more complicated than just a wife and kids.

I dropped out of college and joined the Marines at 21. I gave my four to the Corps, and moved on to a federal agency with good pay and a good retirement. I loved my job for the first seven years, it was amazing and fulfilling. Things changed. The last few years have been terrible. I'm still employed by the same agency, but it's one of the most poorly run agencies in the civilized world. My pay and retirement are under attack from within the agency and congress. It's a thankless and joyless job. That said, in a little over 20 years I'll be retired.

There are a lot of other jobs out there that will be more enjoyable and fulfilling. Some of my hobbies are cooking BBQ, making sausage, and gunsmithing. I've been offered money to do all of those things. I could make a living at all of those things. I already love doing all of those things. None of them will offer the retirement that I will have with my current job. I don't want to spend my entire life working. That is what's important to me. At the end of the day, that's why I'll stick it out. In addition to all of that, it's a job. I get my enjoyment in my off time.

Figure out where you want to be in your life and make and make an educated decision. It's easy to say that you want a fun job in an exciting city, but someday the party will be over. I'm not saying that you shouldn't take option b. I'm just saying that you should give proper consideration to everything before making that decision.

Follow your bliss... straight into the poor house. Work is called "work" because it isn't "fun".

Stick with Job A and find yourself a mate and a hobby. If you take Job B and quietly starve in a cheap apartment, penniless and alone, will you truly be happy?

Define yourself by how you live, not by the job you have. Stick with the good-paying job and get a life outside of work. You'll be happier in the long run.

Is job A a job you can find anywhere and get any time? Sounds like it. If so why not do job B, if doesn't work out, find a similar job A in new city. Probably dime-a-dozen accounting job and can fall back on that. Or can you just return to current job A if job B doesn't work out? Doesn't sound like have much to lose by trying other job you want, if doesn't work out just schlep back to the grind.

from someone who has seen quite a bit:

is stay with job a. I've been where you currently are, kind of. I had a great career lined up, but was bored with it. I chose to do something that interested me more at the time. Lower pay, et al. The lower pay longer hours thing really gets old, no matter how much you enjoy the job. Then, you try to make up for it in your sparse time off, only to realize that because of the low pay, you are now living beyond your means. You get late on your bills, you ruin your credit, you have trouble buying a house when you go back to the good paying job because your credit is toast. so my advice is stay with the good job, enjoy your time off

Sorry for the late reply fellas. Was a very bad day. My house was robbed and gutted. The worst of all, and most sickening, was that they took our dog. She meant the world to our family.

If I could, I would quote every single contributor to this thread and give them a response. Everybody had great things to say. Much more support on here than I expected. And I get that it is ultimately going to come down to me and my decision, but it is always nice to gain different perspectives. Especially from people who are a lot further down life's road than me.

Not nearly enough information. Twice the hours. You are young and this seems exciting now. But 20 years from now how excited are you going to be working 80 hours a week at anything, much less for low pay. Hard to imagine what job you are talking about. Are you talking about being a bartender or a social worker? At twice the hours, what social life?

This other city gets by without accountants?

You are 28 and have never had a girlfriend? I am having trouble figuring out what that means for you. What do you think it means?

I also find myself wondering how secure your current job is. If you are that unmotivated, are you really going to last there? No colleagues that you like at all at work?

You are young. You do not want to live your life regretting that you did not try to do what you were drawn to.

Anyway to just try out the college town thing for a couple of years?

I am always apprehensive to divulge information. But my previous career was in sports. I worked for a D1 team and got to travel with them, run practice, be on the sidelines during games, and the locker room was my office. I then did the same job but in the NFL. In the NFL I worked 100+ hour work weeks. Most amazing time of my life. It was just a 1 year internship. Left the career after that after getting an accounting job. I miss my previous career and I have a couple offers to get back into it. Take that road, or continue down the accounting path that will probably lead to more financial security.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Sorry to hear about your robbery!

And I get that it is ultimately going to come down to me and my decision ...

Yep.

Hopefully you can digest all that you have read here, and use it to give you some perspective.

Good luck!

:thumbup1:

Option 'C' which is come combination of both? Or at least something that you like more that pays more, meaning be patient and keep looking. If only given option A & B the temptation is to suggest option B, though I suspect A will be better for you over the long term (too little information for you and me to say with any certainty). I recently read something related to this on my flipboard feed, and could not find it now, but this article comes pretty close to expressing the same thoughts: Why People Choose Boring Careers

If you were 22 instead of 28 I would be more in the option B camp, but 6 years is 20% into a 30 year career and a later start on such rewards; not that very many people other than certain favored groups get to retire after 30 years of service.

Go for the job you love in the town you love. Go minimalist...frugal on steroids. And if you ever meet "THE ONE" she'll beg happy to be frugal with you. Life is two short to trade your happiness for security.

Sorry for the late reply fellas. Was a very bad day. My house was robbed and gutted. The worst of all, and most sickening, was that they took our dog. She meant the world to our family.

If I could, I would quote every single contributor to this thread and give them a response. Everybody had great things to say. Much more support on here than I expected. And I get that it is ultimately going to come down to me and my decision, but it is always nice to gain different perspectives. Especially from people who are a lot further down life's road than me.

I am always apprehensive to divulge information. But my previous career was in sports. I worked for a D1 team and got to travel with them, run practice, be on the sidelines during games, and the locker room was my office. I then did the same job but in the NFL. In the NFL I worked 100+ hour work weeks. Most amazing time of my life. It was just a 1 year internship. Left the career after that after getting an accounting job. I miss my previous career and I have a couple offers to get back into it. Take that road, or continue down the accounting path that will probably lead to more financial security.

Thanks. I do not blame you for being hesitant to divulge information. That helps a lot though. I find myself kind of envious of your previous experiences!

I do not know what to tell you in part because I do not have much of an idea of what doing that for a sports team is like. Is it the kind of thing where you can get fired at an instant's notice just because someone wants to bring in someone's nephew for your job? Do you have any control over your own life in that gig? There is huge money in the NFL, which makes me wonder why there is no upward mobility. For that matter there should be money in D1 sports, I would think. Are you going to feel bitter after awhile that you have devoted your life to it, and there are people around you with tons of money, but you have never gotten any of it or even had a chance to get any of it. Are you going to end up working for folks that are a lot younger than you are that know a lot less? Could you come to resent that?

I think as we age we develop more and more of an aversion to living on the road, which might be another factor.

I suppose you are young enough to give this a try for a few years and then come back to accounting. It is not like you are quitting your accounting partner track job to go live at the beach and tend bar. Folks like me would not understand that, but might well understand this. (Are you truly on a partnership track in accounting? That is a pretty fair accomplishment. Lots of young folks enter accounting firms compared to the number that make partner.)

Also, sounds like it is the type of gig where you might not end up staying at the same place your whole career. What are the chances you would have to move to a college town that does not appeal to you nearly as much?

This sounds like coaching. Isn't there upward mobility in coaching? I mean you are bright enough to be an accountant and you are working 100 hour weeks anyway. Why wouldn't you have a shot at being a successful coach?

I have heard recently actually that sports are a bad place for some reason to develop and apply a traditional business skill. For instance, that if you want to get into sports marketing you are much better off to develop a career in marketing outside of the marketing part of a sports team's organization and then come into it from the outside more developed. I have no idea why that is or what it would mean for you. I do not know pro sports at all, but there is a lot about college sports I perceive as manipulative, abusive even. Not that I do not love college sports.

I do not think I am being of much help. I am trying to think of what I would tell one of my sons in this circumstance, but it has sure never come up. I suggest that you talk to everyone you can that is in the position you are thinking of taking, say 20 or even ten years in. That may tell you something.

Best of luck.

The experience of Job B will make you richer. And as others have pointed out, it is just one step on a journey. Better to move toward what interests you than what does not, so long as you can pay your bills.

I worked low-end jobs that were fun for a while, and then figured it was time to haul in more. I took my education and skills, added some more training targeted to the market that was hot at the moment, and it wasn't hard to change my paycheque substantially.

Bring on the real estate and family.

Work has been more boring since then. Now I am training again for work that is more engaging (like where I started out) but better paid. Having been there in some way, I am confident about what I can do, and have an idea what opportunities I am looking for. One thing is building on another.

Neither choice is a dead end. All the best to you.

Top Bottom