What's new

Need some input gents on blade tryout

Ok, so I've explained being away from the forums since 2015, and some have seen the PIF I'm running in the newbie forum.

The idea is, I went crazy like most is one way or another when I started. With a "budget" mindset, instead of buying sample packs to try blades or use tryablande (more expensive for just a few blades) I found deals on bulk packs of blades for trying out.
I ended up with quite a collection.
For the past 5 years I've been using GSB happily with a few razors and my favorite soaps.
Then a couple weeks ago out of nowhere my interest was renewed in the hobby side of this shaving chore. I've been enjoying shaving still, but you know what I mean I hope.

So first thing I did was throw a personal red IP in my 37c (not a good combo from what I remembered) and it went great!!!
Then tried in krona and again it was great!!!
Well then I was off to the races with that same blade trying different razors. All worked well.
This made me realize that what I thought of these and other blades may not be the same now that I have 5+ years under my belt.

So finally getting to what I'm asking.
This is purely a subjective thread asking opinions.

What I'd like to know is what blades from this list should I try and why.

This is the list of what I have now.
So far I've tried GSB obviously, personna red IP, and new Wizamet iridium super.
Throughout the life of this thread I'm sure I'll be trying blades and adding to that list that I've tried but it won't let me edit it past however long until its locked.

Personna Lab blue USA
Personna Med prep USA
Personna blue Israeli Crystal
Personna red Israeili
Gillette Silver blues
Gillette platinum
Gillette nacet stainless
Gillette 7oclock super platinum (black)
Gillette 7oclock super stainless (green)
Gillette 7oclock sharpedge (yellow)
Derby Extra pre-2016
Derby extra post-2016
Derby premium
Derby USTA (master)
Supermax platinum
Supermax super platinum
Supermax titanium
Shark super chrome
Shark super stainless
Shark platinum
Lord platinum class
Treet platinum
Treet black beauty (carbon steel)
Perma sharp super (gold pack)
Voskhod
Feather
Astra SP (green)
Astra SS (blue)
Bic chrome platinum
Wizamet iridium super
Polsilver super iridium

Also what I think are personna german reds (israeli red "platinum chrome" made in Germany) that came in 100 pack although have a blue and black wrapper that says comfort coated. These were in place of the listing I used for personna lab blues on Amazon back in 2015. I hope this doesn't mean they aren't making lab blues anymore. :-/

At any rate please post what you think I should try next and why. I have many razors but maybe list your favorite to use said blade in. I have many, but definitely not all. Especially anything released after 2015 besides my just ordered fatip and schone since my fatip grande is before the mold change and was curious.

Thanks all for the suggestions!!! It's hard for me to decide, but as time goes on I will and after all it was this forums knowledge and opinion that got me started and taught me what I use today.

Why not all of them? Yes I'm an enabler :D :D :D
Yes I will get there.
Decisions are getting hard to come by.
I have so many razors, blades, soaps, etc. That just deciding what to shave with is a process.
Fire I'll see what the community says and ginny most popular.

You have some GREAT BLADES in that stash!!

That includes a number that I find ’top-tier’ or very close:
GSB
Nacet
Personna labs/med preps (which I find very similar if not the same)
Astra SP (which I prefer to the SS by a small margin)
Personna reds (Israeli, still haven’t tried the German version)
Wizamet (which may or may not be the same or very similar to Polsilvers)
I suggest ‘starting’ with those.

Save the Sharks for next year’s SHARK WEEK!

Enjoy! :a29:

Blade choice is very personal I tried about 12 different ones and narrowed it down to 4 which I found to work best for me and rotate with

Polsilver SI
Perma sharp
King C Gillette blade
Gillette Nacet

You have some GREAT BLADES in that stash!!

That includes a number that I find ’top-tier’ or very close:
GSB
Nacet
Personna labs/med preps (which I find very similar if not the same)
Astra SP (which I prefer to the SS by a small margin)
Personna reds (Israeli, still haven’t tried the German version)
Wizamet (which may or may not be the same or very similar to Polsilvers)
I suggest ‘starting’ with those.

Save the Sharks for next year’s SHARK WEEK!

Enjoy! :a29:
Sir, you have literally explained my last 5 years (GSB) but also explained my early years of Astra sp (as didn't work as well, but worked that time) and nacet easy favorite in NEW LC.
You know what's funny.....
Astra was my first blade that worked for me (SP) which is why I have like 800 lol. But I never revisited them.

So first on. The docket, astra SP and SS.
If you saw the pics of my blade stash Astra SP should have been my first one after the GSB since it was what worked before that.
This is why I asked this.
Simple ideas repeated back. !!!!
Astra SP is next!!! No corking (I used to for comfort)

A very nice selection of blades. I really like the following:

Personna red Israeili
Gillette Silver blues
Gillette platinum
Gillette nacet stainless
Derby extra post-2016
Astra SP (green)

These I weren't so keen on. I found them tuggy:

Supermax super platinum
Shark platinum
Lord platinum class
Treet platinum
Astra SS (blue)

My faves:

Gillette platinum
Gillette nacet stainless
Astra SS (blue)
Wizamet iridium super
Polsilver super iridium

Gillette Platinums are my current #1. Sharp, smooth, and long lasting.

Most of the St Petersburgh blades are good performers but the GSB is fantastic. I have not tried the Gillette Platinum yet and hear good things about that blade but it is expensive.

Most of the St Petersburgh blades are good performers but the GSB is fantastic. I have not tried the Gillette Platinum yet and hear good things about that blade but it is expensive.

As far as I seen in Amazon US or eBay, Gillette Silver Blue seems more expensive or equal to Gillette Platinum.
Only Gillette Nacet in ebay with bulk purchases (500+) might have lower prices...

You list looks a lot like mine, minus the odd stuff I can't resist!

German Wilkinsons are great.
7 O'Clock blacks are the best blade I've tried yet.
Anything Personna is great (so far)
Derby's are so so, all of them, and short lived for me. Close shaves, but tuggy beyond what I will tolerate.
Nacet doesn't suit me at all, tossed the first one half way through the shave.

But I suspect you will find them all pretty good to excellent, good technique makes any razor blade usable. If find the biggest differences are in longevity -- platinum coated blades last a very long time for me, stainless less, and bottom tier won't make 30 shaves.

Also what I think are personna german reds (israeli red "platinum chrome" made in Germany) that came in 100 pack although have a blue and black wrapper that says comfort coated. These were in place of the listing I used for personna lab blues on Amazon back in 2015. I hope this doesn't mean they aren't making lab blues anymore. :-/

Accutec's website still shows the Lab Blues, at least in cases of 5000.

I assume retailers of the Blues are buying from Accutec and breaking the cases up for smaller purchases. So your beef would be with the vendor who made the switch.

Accutec's website still shows the Lab Blues, at least in cases of 5000.

I assume retailers of the Blues are buying from Accutec and breaking the cases up for smaller purchases. So your beef would be with the vendor who made the switch.
Just got a box in. 120 blades, bonus 20. They say accutec on the box. They are the new box blues. Just wanted to check them against my "2013 energizer" boxes of lab blues

Eben Stone

Staff member
The Polsilver are by far the best blade I've used but they're made out of unobtanium. I've read a few posts here that say things like the Wizamet are "mostly" the same. Any chance you can give them a good comparison test? I'd like to know if they are really equal or not.

The Polsilver are by far the best blade I've used but they're made out of unobtanium. I've read a few posts here that say things like the Wizamet are "mostly" the same. Any chance you can give them a good comparison test? I'd like to know if they are really equal or not.
I haven't done a direct comparison, but they seem the same to me. Great blades!!
If you're in the ConUS I can mail you some to test for yourself. Blades are so YMMV that my opinion or anyone elses won't tell you.
The gent I got them from did say they are from same factory and machines and he believes when P&G took over they didn't want to have same blade with 2 different packaging. Since polsilver were believed to be the "bargain" brand in morocco or wherever else that the packaging that was dropped.
The blades look exactly identical as far as printing.
I really like the blades
Some brands like vidyut put identical blades in different packaging sometimes for different merkets and other times just because.
Cost saving measure to just have one packaging I guess.

Last edited:
Good luck to you my friend. I have settled in on Feather blades. The current blade has 12 shaves on it and it has become smooth as glass. I get DFS and an occasional BBS shave on this blade with just two passes. Right now I’m in love with this blade.

Ok, so I've explained being away from the forums since 2015, and some have seen the PIF I'm running in the newbie forum.

The idea is, I went crazy like most is one way or another when I started. With a "budget" mindset, instead of buying sample packs to try blades or use tryablande (more expensive for just a few blades) I found deals on bulk packs of blades for trying out.
I ended up with quite a collection.
For the past 5 years I've been using GSB happily with a few razors and my favorite soaps.
Then a couple weeks ago out of nowhere my interest was renewed in the hobby side of this shaving chore. I've been enjoying shaving still, but you know what I mean I hope.

So first thing I did was throw a personal red IP in my 37c (not a good combo from what I remembered) and it went great!!!
Then tried in krona and again it was great!!!
Well then I was off to the races with that same blade trying different razors. All worked well.
This made me realize that what I thought of these and other blades may not be the same now that I have 5+ years under my belt.

So finally getting to what I'm asking.
This is purely a subjective thread asking opinions.

What I'd like to know is what blades from this list should I try and why.

This is the list of what I have now.
So far I've tried GSB obviously, personna red IP, and new Wizamet iridium super.
Throughout the life of this thread I'm sure I'll be trying blades and adding to that list that I've tried but it won't let me edit it past however long until its locked.

Personna Lab blue USA
Personna Med prep USA
Personna blue Israeli Crystal
Personna red Israeili
Gillette Silver blues
Gillette platinum
Gillette nacet stainless
Derby Extra pre-2016
Derby extra post-2016
Derby premium
Derby USTA (master)
Supermax platinum
Supermax super platinum
Supermax titanium
Shark super chrome
Shark super stainless
Shark platinum
Lord platinum class
Treet platinum
Treet black beauty (carbon steel)
Voskhod
Feather
Astra SP (green)
Astra SS (blue)
Bic chrome platinum
Wizamet iridium super
Polsilver super iridium

At any rate please post what you think I should try next and why. I have many razors but maybe list your favorite to use said blade in. I have many, but definitely not all. Especially anything released after 2015 besides my just ordered fatip and schone since my fatip grande is before the mold change and was curious.

Thanks all for the suggestions!!! It's hard for me to decide, but as time goes on I will and after all it was this forums knowledge and opinion that got me started and taught me what I use today.
Starting DE I was in hurry to try Feathers which seemed to tear my face off. Four months later not much difference. A year later I could shave with any blade. My technique will adapt and get the most out of any blade. Sounds like that is where you are. I use Feathers exclusively single use only, for a face and head shave. In my Grande there is no blade feel whatsoever. In my Lo Storto there is blade feel. Lo Storto delivers a closer tighter BBS than Grande with a little less skin comfort than the Grande. I prefer the Grande which is my favourite DE razor. I like and prefer sharp blades for their efficiency. I’m learning straights now and the Grande cleans up the face shave and shaves the head delivering BBS shaves every shave. The sharper the blade the less strokes. Since your technique allows you to use any blade. It works down to best comfort with razor and blade combination. You have to try the combinations for you to know your preferences. The Voskhods worked beautifully in the Grande but awful in Lo Storto.

9B715531-6FD9-45E6-A40B-8DC603D083CC.jpeg

Good luck to you my friend. I have settled in on Feather blades. The current blade has 12 shaves on it and it has become smooth as glass. I get DFS and an occasional BBS shave on this blade with just two passes. Right now I’m in love with this blade.

Top Bottom