What's new

Need some ideas on reshaping a pipe

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
IMG_6334.JPG

So many moons ago I was into that huge poker pipe fad and bought this massive rough briar from Mark Tinsky and carved the behemoth above.
Fast forward 5 years and now it doesn't do anything for me.
So any ideas on what to reshape it to? I was thinking a volcano, maybe a shallow pot etc. The chamber must be 2" deep so I can cut it down a lot.

Any other ideas?

That's a lot of briar you still have left to work with. Maybe round the bowl some and do kind of a brandy?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I just realized upon taking some test puffs that I never refined the stem too lol, never noticed how sharp the button was. Amazing what a few months of experience does to educate a person!

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
With the way that the grain is flaring up and outward, I think that a freehand, acorn, or pickaxe would be sweet. What do the other sides of it look like?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
It's actually really decent grain that was wasted on me lol.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
IMG_6335.JPG
IMG_6336.JPG
IMG_6337.JPG

I beveled the bottom so I might be pretty close to the bore. A volcano would lose the grain on the rim so maybe the pick ax would be nice too.

I think pot for ease of shaping and billiard for the challenge. That cross grain is perfect for that.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Hmm...I have no clue how to discern that. I'll post more pics to get your opinion.
If that flame grain continued throughout the briar, then I was thinking it would be nice to just follow the pattern of the grain. Although, now from the pictures, I can see that the flame grain isn't on the other side of the pipe.

I think a Castello 55 would work nicely. The current stem could be shaped a bit more without too much effort to get the taper and the 55 shape is not too drastic of a change from the current status.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I beveled the bottom of the pipe so there isn't enough material on the bottom to do that jutting chin shape, sadly. Not really digging smooth finishes anymore so I might rusticated.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
With that grain, a Dublin might be nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I was going to post that picture of Jennifer Lopez' rear, because it makes for a lovely pipe shape, but I didn't want to be redundant.

Top Bottom