What's new

Need some ideas for cool Tampers

proxy.php

I use this from the Trollhill Forge on Etsy. They're based out of Finland and it's made to order.
I have that same set as well. I'm a big fan of hand forged items in general. Great stuff. I seem to be acquiring a tamper collection now, suddenly... lol

I have that same set as well. I'm a big fan of hand forged items in general. Great stuff. I seem to be acquiring a tamper collection now, suddenly... lol
Luckily, I haven't caught the tamper bug. I liked the durability and function aspect of that set, and it's my workhorse. I don't want a "nice" tamper, because I don't want to worry about cleaning it or keeping it nice.

The Trollhill Forge set? It looks nicer the grungier it gets. :lol:

Luckily, I haven't caught the tamper bug. I liked the durability and function aspect of that set, and it's my workhorse. I don't want a "nice" tamper, because I don't want to worry about cleaning it or keeping it nice.

The Trollhill Forge set? It looks nicer the grungier it gets. :lol:
That is a huge reason I like the natural out of the forge look to those things.

I haven't caught the tamper bug, but keep finding ones that speak to me enough to grab them. *shrug* Maybe that is the "bug" then? Dunno..

Find an inexpensive souvenir spoon (probably want one with no plastic or enamel work), and cut the the bowl end off. Bend the other end over in a vise.
It may take a while to find one with a nicely rounded handle end.

The second from the left (lawn bowling?) looks promising, unless it's too large in diameter:
proxy.php

Last edited:
IMG_20170509_180550.jpg

Arrived over the weekend, but I wanted to give it some use before posting about it. It's hefty for it's size, but I'd expect that from solid forged steel. I prefer heavier tampers by far, since that allows me to actually use the weight of the tamper to do the work (that doesn't work with golf tees, which is why I pretty much never use those).

The blacksmith was super fast on communicating the expectation for when it would be done and shipped by, and he actually finished and shipped it a day earlier than he quoted. It took about a week to get her via Canada post to USPS.

As for how does it do? Well, it's a tamper... does it tamp pipe tobacco ash down successfully? Yes, yes it does. The only small thing I'd say is that if you order one and you have a good number of smaller bowled pipes, you may want to communicate with the blacksmith to make the spoon end a bit more narrow than he usually does. This one I have the ash spoon is a slight bit wide for my smaller pipes (if you are one that even uses that spoon part).

View attachment 787942

Arrived over the weekend, but I wanted to give it some use before posting about it. It's hefty for it's size, but I'd expect that from solid forged steel. I prefer heavier tampers by far, since that allows me to actually use the weight of the tamper to do the work (that doesn't work with golf tees, which is why I pretty much never use those).

The blacksmith was super fast on communicating the expectation for when it would be done and shipped by, and he actually finished and shipped it a day earlier than he quoted. It took about a week to get her via Canada post to USPS.

As for how does it do? Well, it's a tamper... does it tamp pipe tobacco ash down successfully? Yes, yes it does. The only small thing I'd say is that if you order one and you have a good number of smaller bowled pipes, you may want to communicate with the blacksmith to make the spoon end a bit more narrow than he usually does. This one I have the ash spoon is a slight bit wide for my smaller pipes (if you are one that even uses that spoon part).
I so definitely do not need to start on a tamper acquisition run, but uhh...I might need to know where you sourced that from, Dustin.

While it says sold on the etsy page, I'd bet a fast message to him would get one on the list to be made for anyone looking for one.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Could be. He could be more like how I am, where it takes something pretty unique, tamper wise, to catch my eye. Pipes are still by far the more dangerous in that regard. lol
ADs never really affect me much, when it come to hardware. Like with razors, I am happy with a handful of pipes that do their jobs well. Tampers I am too likely to lose. Software (soap and tobacco) are a different story.

ADs never really affect me much, when it come to hardware. Like with razors, I am happy with a handful of pipes that do their jobs well. Tampers I am too likely to lose. Software (soap and tobacco) are a different story.
I fall hard into some of the collecting aspects, hardware wise. Pipes and razors, mostly. Brushes and tampers, not as much.

Could be. He could be more like how I am, where it takes something pretty unique, tamper wise, to catch my eye. Pipes are still by far the more dangerous in that regard. lol
This is 100% true. Every Monday and Thursday I have to fight myself to stay the hell off of the SP site, because about one in every four pipes catches my eye in some way. I've got two nice tampers, one of which was a gift, and about a half dozen pipe nails in various locations. It would take something pretty unique for me to buy another tamper.

This is 100% true. Every Monday and Thursday I have to fight myself to stay the hell off of the SP site, because about one in every four pipes catches my eye in some way. I've got two nice tampers, one of which was a gift, and about a half dozen pipe nails in various locations. It would take something pretty unique for me to buy another tamper.
Yep... something like a hand forged dragon tamper. lol

Top Bottom