What's new

Need some ideas for a box

I bought this box for my razors today.
I'm pretty pleased with it, it is nicely made and has a nifty 'secret lock' that is opened by sliding one of the panels sideways.

Obviously it's not specifically designed for razors, so I need to think of a way to fit my razors in there like a 7 day set.
I'd like to make the mountings as universal as possible so I can chop and change which razors I store in the box.
Any ideas?

Some photos (I have put a razor in there to give an idea of size)

proxy.php

proxy.php

WOW, great box!

I want one!!!!

Just make some sort of dividers, looks to be a perfect size for razors~

You may also want to consider having your razors go vertically (hinge to front), as opposed to horizontally, you may be able to fit more in that way.

It's pretty nice isn't it? They are quite widely available in the UK. They are imported from India and are hand carved. One of my business suppliers was an importer of this type of product, but I ended up buying this from a high street store for £20 (about $28USD)

Unfortunately the razors don't fit the other way round, the box is just a fraction too small from top to bottom.
It's big enough to fit seven razors though, which was the aim of the project really.
I've decided that to keep my collection 'sensible' I'm going to attempt to only have seven razors at any one time, if I want a new one, I have to get rid of one of the others.
Let's see how long that lasts :biggrin:

I've decided that to keep my collection 'sensible' I'm going to attempt to only have seven razors at any one time, if I want a new one, I have to get rid of one of the others.

That is exactly the same plan I have. Something like this would be pretty easy to make.

proxy.php

Where did you pick that box up? it's really nice.

Last edited:
That is exactly the same plan I have. Something like this would be pretty easy to make.

proxy.php

Where did you pick that box up? it's really nice.

Did you make that rack yourself?

I have a cigar box I was going to use to store some razors, but I have not decided on how to keep them vertical.

I was originally thinking balsa wood strips blued down vertically then covering with blue velvet type fabric, but I like the rack you have too.

It's pretty nice isn't it? They are quite widely available in the UK. They are imported from India and are hand carved. One of my business suppliers was an importer of this type of product, but I ended up buying this from a high street store for £20 (about $28USD)

Unfortunately the razors don't fit the other way round, the box is just a fraction too small from top to bottom.
It's big enough to fit seven razors though, which was the aim of the project really.

Nope. You'll just get more boxes......:lol:

Did you make that rack yourself?

I have a cigar box I was going to use to store some razors, but I have not decided on how to keep them vertical.

I was originally thinking balsa wood strips blued down vertically then covering with blue velvet type fabric, but I like the rack you have too.

I can't claim to have any thing to do with that box. A dude over at SRP went on holiday to australia, and brought a suitcase worth of razors home with him.

I think a more elaborate version of that rack would look good and still be functional, perhaps made out of the same wood as the box.

I got the box from a place called 'Shared Earth', it's a sort of new age type store with branches in the UK.
I've seen them for sale in a few places though, anywhere that sells trinkets and places like 'head shops'.

The reason for my seven razor limit is that I'm moving to the states soon, so I have to keep my possessions to a minimum. I don't want to take a load of junk with me.

Those little stand things are a nice idea, definitely something to think about. I've worked out that since the box is just over 14cm on its shortest side, I have about 2cm of width to play with per razor.

Sadly the box is not quite tall enough to allow a two tier arrangement, which is a shame because then I could have had fourteen razors (and so it begins :biggrin:)

I love the hidden locking mechanism of this box, it's almost like a puzzle box.
Ok, here comes the punchline...... Hellrazor :biggrin:
I'm here all week folks....

That is a nice box, I have also been thinking of either finding a box or putting one together.

How about if you build the rack stand so that the razors are tilted top to bottom slightly so that then they would fit that way? (and fit more inside the box like seraphim suggests), it looks like the box has enough depth for that.

I thought of that but unfortunately it's just not quite deep enough. I guess it's hard to tell from the photos.

I've made some wooden supports now. I haven't decided what I'm going to do with them yet, I might make a base board to fit the bottom of the box and glue the supports to it. I also haven't figured out whether I should put something at either end to stop the razors sliding laterally if the box is moved. I've also got a vague idea about using some rare earth magnets to secure the tails of the razors.
If I raise the supports on a plinth of wood, I could pad the lid of the box so that the razors would be held secure when the lid is closed.
I've also found some dark shellac that might make the wood match the colour of the box reasonably closely.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Ok, so I think I've decided how this is going to work.
I have removed the velvet lining from the bottom of the box and glued in two strips of wood to raise the razors to the right height.

I have also made corresponding cutouts on the bottoms of the supports, and deepened the slots in the support for the tail ends of the razors. The supports now sit in the box at a good hight and the razors sit at the right angle.

Now I have to line the box. I have some black leather, or I may use black velvet. Suggestions?

proxy.php

If you move the razors from the center, to either side, you would have room for a barber hone, and possibly a little bottle of oil.

You have a great deal of extra space in there, enough even to put a piece of thick glass, and a few sheets of lapping film.(you could put it beneath the supports) with a piece of wood covering it.

I didn't think of the barber hone but I did have the idea of a bottle of oil. Thing is, I did try moving the supports to the side to create such a space and also prevent the razors sliding sideways and it just didn't look right.
I'll get the velvet in and then I'll take some photos of the supports in both positions so see what people think.

Thank you for posting the name of the company. They have a great selection of useful boxes. I can see there my next project which will be simmilar to yours.

why don`t you just buy a flocking kit from a craft store ,that always looks like a more professional finish than trying to line the box with material, and it`s very easy to do
kind regards Peter

I did actually think of flocking.
I play miniature wargames (yes I do have a girlfriend :biggrin:) and I have used flocking many times to model grass.
The thing is, it's not very hardwearing and fibres come off all the time, and there's not a lot you can do about it.

I have actually finished the box now complete with velvet lining, which was an absolute nightmare to do but looks great. I don't know why, but the velvet on the supports looks very 'fuzzy' in the photos, but that isn't how they look in real life.

I also removed, trimmed down, and replaced the thin pieces of wood that form the inner lip of the box, because they made the box very stiff to open.

I added a restraining chain to prevent the lid from opening too far, as it was putting strain on the hinges

I decided in the end to place the supports so that the razors are positioned in the middle of the box. I decided that lateral movement was not an issue because this isn't a travel box, rather a static fixture to sit on a dresser.
For the same reason, I opted not to make provision for hones, oil bottles etc, this is strictly to hold/display a rotation of seven razors ready for use.

I also found out that the box is made of Indian Rosewood.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Now all I need to do is finish restoring and rescaling my other razors so that I actually have something to put in the thing....

Last edited:

I'm actually a bit disappointed about how it looks in the photos, it looks like there is loads of excess space either side of the razors. This isn't the case at all, but there is sufficient space that if I put an unusually long razor in there it will still fit.
For some reason the velvet looks crap in the photos too, but I think it's just the way the flash bounced off it.
I'm not a very good photographer....

Top Bottom