What's new

Need some help

5 shaves isn't all that many to not get the greatest shave. I had a lot of shaves early on where under the USB microscope on my face , I could see hairs that were cut, but only partially along the diameter (like string cheese pulls or breaking off celery stalks from the bunch). IMO it was from an edge that may have been sharp earlier, but wasn't nearly sharp enough.

My thought is the edge is probably meh by now and needs some care.

I'm in DC/VA area, if you'd like me to take a look at it, rehone it at no cost to you other than shipping both ways, just PM me. I'd be happy to help.

I did already have the straight honed by a member here so i trust it was done correctly. What i need to figure out is whether my technique just sucks to the point that i’m just so far off angle that it won’t cut, or whether the razor itself needs to be sharper. I think if i try a shavette at least i know it’s as sharp as can be. Then if it’s still not cutting i know it’s me. I appreciate the offer though.

I'm still new but that razor is exactly like my AP Donovan razor. I will say that razor does not work as good as my ERN. I have to do more passes with the donovan razor vs the ERN. I have learned though on the donovan I have to use a more shallow angle than the ERN and I can get a decent shave. My neck though there are some spots I can never get bbs with either razor. Here are pics of my donovan.

View attachment 971088 View attachment 971089

Yeah that looks identical. Like i said previously, i’m very wary of blaming the razor right now but the results are so bad that i think i’ll buy a shavette and try that out. If i can’t get the shavette to work, i’ll post back here and try and sort out what i’m doing wrong technique-wise.

Don't give up. Try a shavette or a SR with a different profile. You say your beard is wiry, so perhaps a wedge SR is better suited for you.

If a straight doesn't cut hair, well then it doesn't cut hair, a good edge will cut hair at any angle. What you want from a straight razor edge is silent non-pulling tree topping. I like to test on my arm hair against the grain mid air where I can get the feel of HOW its cutting and not if its cutting.
Bad stropping could be a factor, but one more razor to compare the 2 would be favorable.

FWIW, I'm also a new straight shaver, 19 shaves in.

I'm pretty certain that my clumsy newbie shaving technique and stropping technique are dulling my edges quickly.

I got a great edge from Larry at Whipped Dog, and a great edge from Brad Maggard. They cut very well the first time I used them. And after 5-6 shaves, even with careful stropping (30 linen, 50 leather, slowly, with a fairly tight strop, and what feels like little to no pressure, spine always on the strop) before and after, they are noticeably duller.

I'm chalking this up to the learning experience. It's me, not the blades, and certainly not the edges they came with.

And even when they were sharp, I was leaving a lot of whiskers behind with each pass, especially on the first 5-7 shaves. I don't expect to achieve a clean face with a straight until after shave 30, maybe after shave 50. But it's been fun to watch my technique improve day by day, even though I've got a very long way to go.

i think i’ll buy a shavette and try that out
@Macduff have you had a chance to try the shavette? Please do provide an update. I am in suspense as to how your situation will turn out because I had a similar experience and thoughts (such as quality of razor or technique etc.) -- but for me, the badness was only with the first shave (first after out-of-box-factory hone, and first after professional hone), and things got better -- dramatically, significantly -- with the second shave!

Top Bottom