What's new

need some help with zingari man

do you have any experience with declration grooming? i seem to have the same problem with that particular soap. im wondering if might need to use more product as well. i do a 3 pass shave as a 2 pass headshave
There are quite a few Declaration Grooming formulas. The most recent is Milksteak. I use exactly the same procedure with Milksteak that I use with Sego as posted in #7 above.

I never have an issue with insufficient lather. I do a four pass face shave and then do a fifth bonus pass to improve the post shave. However, I always have enough soap left in the bowl and brush to do at least one more pass if I needed it. I suspect a headshave does take more lather than a face shave, but I believe I could do a 3 pass faceshave and 2 pass headshave with making more lather than I do currently.

There are quite a few Declaration Grooming formulas. The most recent is Milksteak. I use exactly the same procedure with Milksteak that I use with Sego as posted in #7 above.

I never have an issue with insufficient lather. I do a four pass face shave and then do a fifth bonus pass to improve the post shave. However, I always have enough soap left in the bowl and brush to do at least one more pass if I needed it. I suspect a headshave does take more lather than a face shave, but I believe I could do a 3 pass faceshave and 2 pass headshave with making more lather than I do currently.
okie dokie, gonna mess around somewhere with the lather tomrrow. thanks for the info. much aprecaited. im currently using the milksteak base for declration grooming

do you have any experience with declration grooming? i seem to have the same problem with that particular soap. im wondering if might need to use more product as well. i do a 3 pass shave as a 2 pass headshave
Not familiar with that one. When in doubt load up.

I got curious so I took out my 26mm badger for a test shave with my ZM The Essentials soap. Suprisingly, I got a similar result as you @newwetsahver

IMG_20210415_170241608~2.jpg

I started off with my usual amount of soap (Almond sized) and sprinkled several drips of water on the bowl.

IMG_20210415_170319444~2.jpg
IMG_20210415_170514311.jpg

IMG_20210415_170718776.jpg

Pretty watery result. I definitely put too much water or too little soap.
So I doubled the amount of soap.

IMG_20210415_170858371.jpg
IMG_20210415_171014877.jpg

IMG_20210415_171247695.jpg
Now that's what I like to see.
But it took twice the amount to get to a creamy result.

I thought I put too much water in the first round so I started off with a drier brush.
Same amount of soap

IMG_20210415_174842207.jpg
IMG_20210415_175130507.jpg

Even with less water, I didn't get much lather. Seems like I need to use more soap with a 26mm badger brush.

Now going with a Synthetic brush. When you're having trouble lathering, a Synthetic brush is the go-to.
Going with a almond size.

IMG_20210415_175315027.jpg
IMG_20210415_175404070.jpg

IMG_20210415_175455311.jpg
IMG_20210415_175612268.jpg

IMG_20210415_175650506.jpg
IMG_20210415_175801005.jpg

There we go. Same amount as the 26mm badger load but resulted in a ton better lather.

So my theory is that:

ZM Sego base works better with a heavy loading with the natural hair brushes. Also, it works better with Synthetics.

If you want to use a natural hair brush with ZM soaps, load more. If you want to use less of ZM soap each shave, use a synthetic brush.

Now going with a Synthetic brush. When you're having trouble lathering, a Synthetic brush is the go-to.

View attachment 1252140 View attachment 1252141
View attachment 1252142 View attachment 1252143
View attachment 1252144 View attachment 1252145

There we go. Same amount as the 26mm badger load but resulted in a ton better lather.

So my theory is that:

ZM Sego base works better with a heavy loading with the natural hair brushes. Also, it works better with Synthetics.

If you want to use a natural hair brush with ZM soaps, load more. If you want to use less of ZM soap each shave, use a synthetic brush.
Nice demonstration.

View attachment 1252140 View attachment 1252141
View attachment 1252142 View attachment 1252143
View attachment 1252144 View attachment 1252145

So my theory is that:

im thinking i may need to go with 1/2 a teaspoon as well instead of 1/4 teaspoon. someone posted they were using a tablespoon of product which seems like too much for just 1 shave. ill keep at it. also is this particular soap suppose to look that foamy or is that normal for this type of soap? also how much water do you tend to use when starting out and how much water do yu add to your lather as you build your lather?

im thinking i may need to go with 1/2 a teaspoon as well instead of 1/4 teaspoon. someone posted they were using a tablespoon of product which seems like too much for just 1 shave. ill keep at it. also is this particular soap suppose to look that foamy or is that normal for this type of soap? also how much water do you tend to use when starting out and how much water do yu add to your lather as you build your lather?
Yes, try using more product and I think that'll help with getting a creamier lather. This type of soap is supposed to result in creamy, dense lather, not a foamy airy one. At least that's the intention from the artisan I believe with a lot of oils, butters, lanolin in the soap.

I think I'm in the minority. With all the hype, I had to buy a tub of Zingari Man. I bought Wanderer. Wonderful barbershop scent some where between CRSW and Mike's versions. I'm not into the lather, however. I've tried all the super soaps from A&E to DG and others. I think I've concluded that I prefer clean, simple, high performance shave soaps that don't include a lot of face food. Face foods are nice for post shave but my experience is that they diminish the performance of the shave itself, or at least make it less enjoyable by complicating lather development. I prefer soaps like Caties, Mike's, and Sudsey Soapery that offer awesome shaves without the complications of face food ingredients. I add face food as a post shave and prefer that.

I think I'm in the minority. With all the hype, I had to buy a tub of Zingari Man. I bought Wanderer. Wonderful barbershop scent some where between CRSW and Mike's versions. I'm not into the lather, however. I've tried all the super soaps from A&E to DG and others. I think I've concluded that I prefer clean, simple, high performance shave soaps that don't include a lot of face food. Face foods are nice for post shave but my experience is that they diminish the performance of the shave itself, or at least make it less enjoyable by complicating lather development. I prefer soaps like Caties, Mike's, and Sudsey Soapery that offer awesome shaves without the complications of face food ingredients. I add face food as a post shave and prefer that.
yea, i agree. im very new to this, but sometimes i get a quicker easier shave with uncle jons soap compared to artisan soaps that have a finicky base with tons of skin foods.

yea, i agree. im very new to this, but sometimes i get a quicker easier shave with uncle jons soap compared to artisan soaps that have a finicky base with tons of skin foods.
I started wet shaving in 2018 and don't have the patience for finicky soaps because there are so many other awesome soaps that aren't finicky and produce equal or better shaves. I also don't like the amount of residue that ZM produces. I have to dump my rinse water more often that I'd like and I spend equally more time rinsing my shaving brushes as well. None of this in necessary with other soaps. On the flip-side, however, some people like a really moisturized post-shave and are okay with the trade-off of residues, etc. Wholly Kaw is about a far as I'll go with post shave but it's easy to lather and rinses clean.

Top Bottom