What's new

Need some help with my new pens...

I got my order of fountain pens in today. I decided to start with attempting to clean them as I have read that is a good place to start. I ran some water with a few drops of dish soap through them and then flushed with just water. This seemed to work fine with the Pilot 78G (f) and the Hero 616s, but I seem to still have some water in them I couldn't flush out. I sat them nib down on a paper towel to dry. The issue with these is there is still some water in the ink sac that I don't think will come out by sitting that way overnight. Is there something else I should do or will the water not hurt anything if it stays there (we're talking about a few small drops).

The other pen is a Noodler's Ahab. I would run some soapy water through it too, but I can't get the cover off. I'm afraid to grip it too tightly or twist too hard as it may break. I've put all the force on it that I thought was safe, and it won't budge. I even looked up videos of people messing with it to make sure that it came apart the way I thought it did, but mine doesn't want to come apart.

Once these dry, how do I fill them? I had to dip the nib completely under water to get them to fill adequately with water (pumping them repeatedly). If I didn't submerge them nearly to where you hold them, they took in a lot of air. Is there something else I should be doing?

Sorry for the noob questions, the only FP's I've used are Pilot Varsitys and the Zebra 301.

D

Water won't hurt your pens. I tend to 'flick' them like a thermometer to get as much water out as possible and then set them out to dry overnight. After that, I don't worry about it. Ink is mostly water.

To fill them, you want to dip the nib all the way into the ink. As you said, ensure that it's dipped up to the section where you hold it. You were doing it the right way.

I don't have an Ahab, but from my understanding it should just come off.

Water won't hurt your pens. I tend to 'flick' them like a thermometer to get as much water out as possible and then set them out to dry overnight. After that, I don't worry about it. Ink is mostly water.

To fill them, you want to dip the nib all the way into the ink. As you said, ensure that it's dipped up to the section where you hold it. You were doing it the right way.

I don't have an Ahab, but from my understanding it should just come off.

I flicked them as you describe as well. Good to know a little water won't hurt anything.

I see a bit of a mess ensuing by dipping the pen that far into the ink. Is there an easy way to clean it up? I assume you guys wear gloves when you do this? I'm not sure how concetrated this ink is, but it's advertised as bulletproof so I'm trying not to make a mess I can't clean up and ruin something.

Anyone have a problem with the Ahab not coming apart? I'm afraid I've put about all the force on it I can without risking damage.

D

I see a bit of a mess ensuing by dipping the pen that far into the ink. Is there an easy way to clean it up? I assume you guys wear gloves when you do this? I'm not sure how concetrated this ink is, but it's advertised as bulletproof so I'm trying not to make a mess I can't clean up and ruin something.

The standard recommendation is to use a paper towel to clean up. I take a paper towel, fold it into quarters and then wipe off the section and nib after filling my pens. It can be a little bit messy, but rest assured you can do it without getting ink anywhere you don't want it. At the worst, I'll get a little bit of ink on my fingers. You can wear gloves, but I wouldn't consider that necessary.

The Ahab does completely disassemble so I wouldn't worry potentially breaking it as long as you follow Nathan's instructions or the many videos. I am guessing that it is the nature of the vegetal resin that makes it necessary to apply a bit of force to break free some of the parts. Application of a bit of silicone grease should help keep the parts moving more freely. I put some on the threads and on the plunger o-ring. Given my previous experiences with Noodler's piston-fillers I was hesitant to purchase any Ahabs but mine have been great thus far.

Top Bottom