What's new

Need some help in selecting a second DE

Gents,

I've been wetshaving for about a month now and really enjoy it. My shaves have improved dramatically and I don't feel like I'm throwing money away when I toss the blade after about a week. RAD has finally set in and I'm looking to expand a little bit. I've been considering the following razors:

• 1950 - 1960 Superspeed
  • Gillette Fatboy
  • Wilkinson Sword Sticky

I've read the other threads and don't want a brand new Merkur again (I already own the Futur). I know the Sticky has received high praise, but is also extremely difficult to find. As for the other two, very easy to fine, but there are so many more razors out there I'm a little lost. What are your best suggestions for a second razor?

Since it's only razor #2, I'll vote for the Super Speed. You'll have the challenge of learning a new head design without the temptation of adjustability.

Randy

I think it's a bit hard to find but I picked up a Gillette President from one of the members here and man is that a nice razor! I had planned on putting it on the shelf since it was in such good shape but finally broke down one day to give it a try and now it's my everyday razor. A bit more aggressive than a superspeed but still very comfortable and easy to use every day. If you can find one and don't want something adjustable I'd highly recommend giving it a try!

rtaylor61 said:
Since it's only razor #2, I'll vote for the Super Speed. You'll have the challenge of learning a new head design without the temptation of adjustability.

Randy

I agree 100%. Well said.

I'm not a huge fans of the SS or the Fatboy.

I'd say go with a Merkur HD or classic - I know these aren't on your list, but since you asked...

Hi Joe,

I agree with Jim... why not get them all??? :thumbup:

I started with a Tech about 3 months ago and have now acquired 13 other DE's which I am having a good 'ole time trying out. If you find that either of the razors isn't cutting it for you (pun intended), I'm sure you'd have no problem selling it on the forum.

My wife hates to think that I'm actually collecting vintage razors, but nobody is immune to RAD! :devil: :devil: :devil:

Cheers,

boboakalfb said:
Why not just keep your options open and pick up whichever one comes up as a decent deal.

Agree. I bet that in three months, you're going to want *another* one, and then probably *another* one after that. So you might as well keep your eyes and your options open.

Also, you haven't mentioned a Gillette Skinny Adjustable. That's my sole razor, and I really like it. I don't even know why I'm also sort of on the lookout for a 40's SuperSpeed or early 60's Fatboy - I can't see how my shaves could be getting any better than they are now...

-Warr

The Super Speed would be my pick of the ones you've listed. OTOH, if your technique is pretty solid now and you're getting good shaves with the Futur, why not go for the Merkur Slant Bar? Wonderful shaves with that (if you use a Feather, at least for me).

Thanks to everyone whose replied. I've decided to purchase the SuperSpeed. I've been looking at them for some time and after seeing everyone's suggestions, decided that was the best choice right now. Thanks once again for everyone's input.

Top Bottom