What's new

Need some help identifying the accuracy of these vintage Slims

Hey all! I just traded a razor I didn’t like for these two vintage slim adjustables.

The trader told me the K2 was with the blue box, and the L1 with the gold.

Does anyone know if that’s accurate? I’d love to get the period correct pack of blades for them each.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you asking which razor is which or which case each razor would have came in?

If its which case is which, I think that is going to be difficult because Gillette released a lot of cases with different models / sets each year (ie. British set, French ..) and you may have a case that does not match your razor. Still, would be fun to try and track that down.

If its which razor is which, the bottom of the head has the date code just to the left of where it meets the handle.

Assuming they’re both US razors, according to gilletteadjustable.com the gold box would go with a razor with a date code starting with G H or I (1961-63) and blue was a special edition made in 1965 (date code K)

So it’s possible the gold box and L code 1966 razors are mismatched. L1 should have been in a case with a red insert.

In fact, reviewing this page ought to answer all your questions. Note that razors that came with Super Blue blades had a 6-pack dispenser, while the ones that came with stainless blades had 2-packs.

Assuming they’re both US razors, according to gilletteadjustable.com the gold box would go with a razor with a date code starting with G H or I (1961-63) and blue was a special edition made in 1965 (date code K)

So it’s possible the gold box and L code 1966 razors are mismatched. L1 should have been in a case with a red insert.

In fact, reviewing this page ought to answer all your questions. Note that razors that came with Super Blue blades had a 6-pack dispenser, while the ones that came with stainless blades had 2-packs.
My Slim came from eBay with a red insert case ('64 to '66), but the razor itself is from 1962. Does that mean my case does not match the razor?

+1! Great resource!! :clap: :clap:

My Slim came from eBay with a red insert case ('64 to '66), but the razor itself is from 1962. Does that mean my case does not match the razor?

I'm no authority myself but the author of that site seems to have spent enough time with NOS Slims to narrow it down pretty tightly, so I'm in no position to disagree. Unless you bought the razor new then it's always possible that some previous owner played mix and match. I know the one time I ran across a wild Slim in its original case, it was an I-1 (1963) with a gold box, as expected.

OTOH, it's a factory making consumer products in the '60s. Weird things could have happened any time, like someone finding a bin full of old gold-insert cases long after they'd switched to the reds, so one can just never write off anything.

I'm no authority myself but the author of that site seems to have spent enough time with NOS Slims to narrow it down pretty tightly, so I'm in no position to disagree. Unless you bought the razor new then it's always possible that some previous owner played mix and match. I know the one time I ran across a wild Slim in its original case, it was an I-1 (1963) with a gold box, as expected.

OTOH, it's a factory making consumer products in the '60s. Weird things could have happened any time, like someone finding a bin full of old gold-insert cases long after they'd switched to the reds, so one can just never write off anything.
Very possible. Okay, then, I won't ditch the Slim! (I kid, I kid)

Top Bottom