What's new

Need some help/advice from you audiophiles/Vinyl Nerds/Jazz Lovers

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
So I want to purchase a vinyl copy of Miles Davis Kind of Blue. Holy Smokes I had no idea there were so many different reissues, pressings, mono vs stereo, imports, etc etc

So, what do I purchase if I'm just a casual listener and not a hard core aficionado?

Leaning towards the 2011 stereo version, but then I also see this blue disc version that is a 2018 UK import. Thoughts?

I own several versions, but they are all CD, SACD, DualDisc, etc. I'm afraid I'm not much help on the vinyl front. Hopefully someone will chime in. This may be the greatest jazz album ever recorded.

I don't have any special knowledge here to draw from really, other than that I went down a small rabbit hole a few weeks ago looking into a similar question. There's a cool article you may want to check out...

I suspect the biggest decision point comes down to mono vs stereo. Based on what that article is saying at least, for recordings made before 1959-1960, "stereo" recordings may need to be approached with a bit of caution. (I think Kind of Blue was 1959 fwiw.) That said, this may not be a hard and fast rule.

I gave Miles' Porgy and Bess (my favourite album of his along with Sketches of Spain) a complete listen in both mono and stereo and liked the mono much better. It's subjective though. Spotify has both versions of several of his records, which may be a useful resource.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
My preference is for the Columbia 6-Eye Mono.

The Columbia 2-Eye Stereo is good if you don't have your turntable, cartridge, etc. optimized for mono records.

The 2013 Sony Columbia Mono reissue is also reported to be quite good.

Vinyl can be one incredible rabbit hole. ;)

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
So, what do I purchase if I'm just a casual listener and not a hard core aficionado?

If that's the case, then (like many of us) you'll like any of them. Keep a few things in mind.

First, the condition of the actual piece of vinyl is more important than what's recorded on it. If it's all warped or scratched, good luck enjoying it.

Second, don't get to wound up in a rare issue of you just want the sound. Collectors might get excited by cover art, where and when it was released, moon phase, etc. We listeners just want to hear what's on it, and that's often pretty similar (not always, of course).

Third, mono v. stereo is a matter of taste and the work. If cost isn't an issue, try listening to both.

Finally, Miles died in '91. Anything after that was done without him, and the man was not known for being quiet about his work.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
If that's the case, then (like many of us) you'll like any of them. Keep a few things in mind.

First, the condition of the actual piece of vinyl is more important than what's recorded on it. If it's all warped or scratched, good luck enjoying it.

Second, don't get to wound up in a rare issue of you just want the sound. Collectors might get excited by cover art, where and when it was released, moon phase, etc. We listeners just want to hear what's on it, and that's often pretty similar (not always, of course).

Third, mono v. stereo is a matter of taste and the work. If cost isn't an issue, try listening to both.

Finally, Miles died in '91. Anything after that was done without him, and the man was not known for being quiet about his work.
Exactly this.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

Getting the version with the best sound is why I listen to vinyl. ;)

Speaking as an audiophile here, it's all too easy to get caught up in which release/remaster is the best. To the detriment of simply enjoying the music. I've put a conscious effort into just enjoying good sound without engaging my OCD.

Here are my credentials ;)

1622053830854.png

Attachments

• 1622053833479.png
    1622053833479.png
    5.3 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
As someone who ruined that album having used it as a “test” recording back in 2001 when I was bit by the hifi bug, let me also say that although it’s an amazing performance from all parties involved, the recording itself is not that great no matter which version you get. The bass is recorded incredibly boomy and lacks definition.

The walking bass-line on So What should go a dum dum dum with even volume and note clarity but instead goes BOOM BOOM BOOM and smears all the transients and the harmonic overtones of the individual notes making it hard to really enjoy the rhythmic timing of the tunes.

Now if you have a system that has somewhat anemic bass and you have a table that runs a little fast, the sloppy bass is somewhat ameliorated, but it’s still not a very good recording, you could end up chasing pavements on this one, I know I did!

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
Do you want some original vinyl records? Go to a St. Vincent de Paul give away place. Your town should be big. There you will find some of these records, and they cost only one dollar each.

Picked up some new vinyl. Anyone got information on the Pet Sounds? English pressing?

I'm not seeing a '98 UK pressing for Pet Sounds, though there is a '97 pressing. I always look at Discogs to get info about pressings. Here's the master listing for Pet Sounds. I would start with the catalogue number and go from there. You can find it on the spine of the cover.

Great pick-ups though!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I'm not seeing a '98 UK pressing for Pet Sounds, though there is a '97 pressing. I always look at Discogs to get info about pressings. Here's the master listing for Pet Sounds. I would start with the catalogue number and go from there. You can find it on the spine of the cover.

Great pick-ups though!

Thanks! I was able to find it is a 1999 UK Mono pressing.

So I want to purchase a vinyl copy of Miles Davis Kind of Blue. Holy Smokes I had no idea there were so many different reissues, pressings, mono vs stereo, imports, etc etc

Leaning towards the 2011 stereo version, but then I also see this blue disc version that is a 2018 UK import. Thoughts?
So many versions, and they all have their little quirks. Another thing to think about (because let's add another variable in there for fun 'n' giggles!) is that after CD remastering in '92 the pitch was corrected, so some vinyl versions might adhere to that too, vs the original speed.

Such a great album, and one I've listened to countless times. Welcome to the rabbit hole of vinyl pressings, sir!

Top Bottom