What's new

need some help about a failure to feed issue with Wilson Combat 920 magazines

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I have a couple new Wilson Combat 8 round magazines that just enjoy giving me grief. When I first tried them the recoil ejected the magazine on every shot. Even though this was just with the new Tisas US. Army 1911A1 the only thing I could think of was that perhaps the magazine release button spring was weak. It only happened with the two Wilson mags, all the other magazines I owned, new and old worked just fine.

Even though the pistol that was ejecting the magazines at every shot was new I ordered some new Wolf factory 1911 magazine release springs and put a new factory spec spring in the magazine release and that solved the ejection problem.

But both of the 920 magazines still fail to feed the last round in the magazine consistently and in three different Tisas 1911s. None of my other magazines have that issue. Other magazines are from Mec-Gar and Check-Mate and Ed Brown & Colt (likely also Check-Mate). About half are 7 round and half 8 round. Some relatively new and others decades old.

The Tisas are the "U.S.Army" full size version, the "Carry" which is an enhanced commander size and a "Tanker" which is also commander size but only GI sights, trigger and hammer. All are series 70 internals and all have a polished feed ramp.

What I find really strange is that if I load a single round it always chambers correctly but if it is the last round of several it fails to feed. The symptom is nose to feed ramp and a tap rack will chamber the round. It's the same in both the longer slide and the two shorter slides pistols. Both magazines do lock slide open on empty. Finally whether I load two or five or seven or eight rounds the last round fails to feed.

The biggest difference I can see is that the 920s are among the examples I have with the narrow GI follower. Most of the others have the wider enhanced follower or a hybrid follower but two of my Check-Mate magazines also have the narrow GI follower and work as they should

I'm quite frankly stumped on this one.

These magazines will only be used as range mags so this is not a serious issue but really more just a "That's Strange!" moment. More an annoying itch right below the back of my neck where I can't quite reach.

Open to any and all suggestions.

I would bet that switching to the poly followers would fix the issue. Chip MCormick, Wilson, OEM Springfield mags with the metal followers have always had one or two crop up with issues.

I got the mags straightened out, then I started buying guns with tight chambers...😜

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Well, final outcome. Totally disappointing since I am still totally clueless about WHY or WHAT caused the issue.

The story so far...

Bought a couple new Wilson Combat 920 1911 magazines.

Initially, when using them in the Tisas U.S. Army 1911A1 every time I fired a round it ejected the magazine. I figured it had to be related to the magazine release spring but none of my other magazines suffered the same problem.

But I ordered a couple factory 1911 magazine springs from Wolff and putting one of those in solved that problem.

But once I got to the point the magazine would stick around long enough to shot more than one round I found that both magazines failed to feed the last round. Suggesting from folk smarter than me said magazine springs too weak.

That kinda made sense so to test it I loaded just two rounds, racked the slide and fired the first round but the second round, now the last round and under the weakest spring tension, loaded just as it should. When I loaded three or more rounds though all but the last round would feed and the last round just nosed into the feed ramp.

Since all worked jess fine with only two rounds it simply couldn't be just a weak spring. It would feed all but the last round when there were 3 to 8 rounds and since both magazines behaved the same with three different 1911s there had to be something magazine specific. I had no ideas and the good folk at Wilson had no ideas and I'd already spent several times the cost of new magazines in ammo so it was time to try taking stuff apart.

I marked the two magazines with white nail polish. Then I took one apart and checked inside visually and with a copper brush and finally with long handle q-tips but there just were no burrs or obvious issues with the frame, spring or follower. Just the normal black gunk and not even all that much of that.

And of course when reassembled all worked as it should.

The second magazine still showed the same problems as expected. Took it apart and again, absolutely nothing that I could find wrong. Reassembled, out to the range and it feed all rounds and locked open on empty just as it should.

And I still want to know what in the world could cause what was seen and evidenced?

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Does the follower on the problem mags have the little dimple on it. It sounds like the last round is walking forward and jumping the extractor. Is the round nose diving into the feed ramp?

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
This thread might help a little. I don’t think 1911Tuner posts much anymore but anything he posts can be taken for gospel if it concerns a 1911

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Does the follower on the problem mags have the little dimple on it. It sounds like the last round is walking forward and jumping the extractor. Is the round nose diving into the feed ramp?
Yes it has the dimple and is the basic GI follower.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Yes it has the dimple and is the basic GI follower.

fail2feed.jpg

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
This thread might help a little. I don’t think 1911Tuner posts much anymore but anything he posts can be taken for gospel if it concerns a 1911

Yes, that was one of the many threads I researched but it doesn't relate to this exact problem.

Look at post #4 in this thread for more details on what was happening.

The puzzling part for me is that the issue was consistently only seen when there were three or more initial rounds. If I loaded only two rounds, racked and fired the second (last round) chambered and fired. Add one more round though and it failed to feed the last round. The two round test eliminated spring tension as well as eliminating any gun related mechanical issues. Things like extractors just don't know whether only two or more than two rounds were loaded.

Unfortunately taking the suckers apart and reassembling them seems to have cured the problem so I'm left as ignorant as I began.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Yes, that was one of the many threads I researched but it doesn't relate to this exact problem.

Look at post #4 in this thread for more details on what was happening.

The puzzling part for me is that the issue was consistently only seen when there were three or more initial rounds. If I loaded only two rounds, racked and fired the second (last round) chambered and fired. Add one more round though and it failed to feed the last round. The two round test eliminated spring tension as well as eliminating any gun related mechanical issues. Things like extractors just don't know whether only two or more than two rounds were loaded.

Unfortunately taking the suckers apart and reassembling them seems to have cured the problem so I'm left as ignorant as I began.
Spoke too soon.

Will try new spring and new follower.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Finally resolution and resurrection of the Wilson Combat 920s.

The answer turned out to be really simple; replace the Wilson follower with a CheckMate follower and no more Trouble with a capital T which rhymes with "P" and ... in River City.

Now I can insert my WC 920 magazines without having to push the mag release button, I can insert them fully loaded with eight rounds; even in an 8+1 configuration.

They even feed all eight rounds.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I have 3 brand new Checkmate mags that came with my Springfield Range Officer I don’t even use because the Springfield just doesn’t like them.

Wilson Combat ETM’s have been 100% trouble free.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I have 3 brand new Checkmate mags that came with my Springfield Range Officer I don’t even use because the Springfield just doesn’t like them.

Wilson Combat ETM’s have been 100% trouble free.
That's another thing I really, really, really like about the Tisas 1911s and even the Girsan 1911. They like magazines from ACT and Mec-Gar and Ed Brown and Checkmate and Wilson and Sarco and Brownells and Chip McCormick. Haven't had any ProMag to try but I'd bet even those would work in the Tisas.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I have 1 Wilson Combat mag. Is it normal to be difficult to unload by hand? The rounds do not want to pop out, they eject fine when fired. All of my other 1911 mags unload without any effort.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I have 1 Wilson Combat mag. Is it normal to be difficult to unload by hand? The rounds do not want to pop out, they eject fine when fired. All of my other 1911 mags unload without any effort.
I find the Wilson Combat magazines, except for the Chip McCormick ones, very hard to unload.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
From WC in a blog I found. It makes sense.

"9mm mags feature the steel followers for reliability purposes and can be difficult to remove ammo from the mag by hand. It's this way by design because we want that follower to be consistent."

I have switched to Tripp Resaerch Cobra magazines, and never had an issue.

Totally agree! Fifteen years ago, I sent my Sig P220 German blued pistol to Virgil Tripp to get a muted grey hard chromed finish put on the slide. Incredible workmanship. It was so well done, I called Virgil to thank him and mentioned that I had some difficulty with a couple of Wilson Mags for my 1911 Govt.

We talked briefly about his Cobra Mags and said to him that I’ll check ‘em out and come back soon to order a few for three of my pistols.

A few days later, a package arrived with a complimentary mag for my 1911. Wow! That was a first class gesture on his part! I went and ordered a dozen mags and to this day, never have had a problem with any.

It’s too bad Virgil stopped his chroming business but I can understand his moving to mag production. Virgil Tripp and his wife are really neat folks who manufacture top notch mags.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Totally agree! Fifteen years ago, I sent my Sig P220 German blued pistol to Virgil Tripp to get a muted grey hard chromed finish put on the slide. Incredible workmanship. It was so well done, I called Virgil to thank him and mentioned that I had some difficulty with a couple of Wilson Mags for my 1911 Govt.

We talked briefly about his Cobra Mags and said to him that I’ll check ‘em out and come back soon to order a few for three of my pistols.

A few days later, a package arrived with a complimentary mag for my 1911. Wow! That was a first class gesture on his part! I went and ordered a dozen mags and to this day, never have had a problem with any.

It’s too bad Virgil stopped his chroming business but I can understand his moving to mag production. Virgil Tripp and his wife are really neat folks who manufacture top notch mags.

Any pics of the 220? :)

Any pics of the 220? :)

I sold it a few years ago here in Colorado when I was made an offer that I could not refuse. The P220 was an excellent.45ACP, smooth as silk on the rails. I preferred my 1911 Lightweight CCO, both for the trigger and easier to carry. It was at that time, that I began to move away from DA/SA pistols. I loved the older classic Sigs. 😉

Top Bottom