What's new

need some guidance on next purchase

What brush/brush type do you recommend?

• Saville Row - any of the new 3000 silver tip series of 24mm+ knot size

• Shavemac - any of the silver tips (including custom made) of 23mm+ knot size

• Simpson's Persian Jar 2 in super badger

• Other (When choosing this option, be sure to post your recommendation/s)

Results are only viewable after voting.
*** On the Poll, I meant to enter "Simpson's PJ2" and not Polo 2***

OK gents,

For the last several weeks I have feverishly been working to find my next new brush. I have read an incredible amount of information about several different brands and I have worn out several of our moderators with questions. Unfortunately, just when I think the search has begun to zero in on a product or three, I find out some new fact that destroys the old parameters.

What I Currently Use:
My brush of choice right now is a Vulfix #41. It is a large, somewhat floppy brush that I find to perform spectacularly with creams and only adequately with soaps.

What I Am Looking For
The biggest criterion is simply a brush that is noticeably different from the Vulfix #41. The Vulfix does not have an especially dense knot, no scritch/scratch, and very little firmness to the bristle. Since I honestly don't know which of these characteristics I will find most appealing in a brush, I simply want to try something that exhibits different qualities than what I currently have.

Price Range
I am willing to spend whatever is necessary. Like most sane people, I would prefer not to waste money but am also not willing to dig through the Goodwill box in search of the cheapest solution. As long as the cost reflects the quality and not just the label, I'll consider it.

All suggestions are welcome and information that has been gleaned from personal use of a product is highly desired.

The attached poll contains the 3 main brushes/brush types that I am currently most educated about and interested in. I am certainly still interested in brushes that I may have overlooked. (This poll will stay active until 4-9-06)

Kyle:

I voted Savile Row but could have easily picked Shavemac. There are pros and cons to both. You can purchase SR in the US, and the speculation is they're likely made by Shavemac anyway. You can only get faux ivory with SRs and you can get different handles with Shavemac.

I have one SR silvertip and am fighting off ordering another......but I want another Shavemac......, oh yeah, a PJ2......ARGH!!!!:mad2:

Greetings Kyle,

The PJ2 Super is one of my favorite all around brushes. It performs superbly with both soaps and creams. The size is ideal - retains heat, holds copious amount of lather and easy to clean. The bristles are very firm but not prickly.
The only negative I could think of would be the price.
That being said, if were only to have one brush, this would be the one.

Rik said:
Greetings Kyle,

The PJ2 Super is one of my favorite all around brushes. It performs superbly with both soaps and creams. The size is ideal - retains heat, holds copious amount of lather and easy to clean. The bristles are very firm but not prickly.
The only negative I could think of would be the price.
That being said, if were only to have one brush, this would be the one.

I also voted for the PJ2. One thing to keep in mind... with Simpsons price decrease, the PJ2 from the gentlemens shop is really not that different $ wise to the other alternatives. For example, a PJ2 is $145 from TGS, where as a shavemac or SR is going to run $100-130. It IS more expensive - yes, but in MY opinion, not enough so to make a difference, as brushes last so long, in for a penny in for a pound. If treated right, they'll last 10 years with daily use.... an extra $20, hell $50 ambertized over 10 years is a measily $5 a year. I'd rather have the brush I'll enjoy most (whether it be the most, or least expensive).

That said.... all of the choices are superb.

Austin said:
Kyle, have you been by Enchante and checked out the remaining Simpson stock?

Unfortunately, they are out of PJ2's. I may swing by and eyeball the remaining stock. I just have to find a day that I can dedicate the adequate time to get in and out of there (those of you who have stopped in know exactly what I'm talking about).

Kyle

Contact Lee at leesrazors.com. He'll match or better any price on a Simpsons and will ship free until April 15th.

Steve

Kyle, forget the Simpsons. SR or Shavemac all the way. Better value for your $$ even with the discounts. Trust me.

Top Bottom