What's new

Need some guidance on a grinder

First WHY I'm asking:

I have a Bonavita BV1800 and honestly I could not be happier. It makes a durned fine cuppa for my wife and I. I had been noticing however that the "level" on the filter was inconsistent day after day. In other words the water and grounds reached different levels in the filter while brewing. I thought maybe the grind was too fine but I had not changed that so I had a sneaking suspicion that the grinder was going wonky and I was getting inconsistency.

Well this morning I was browsing B&B and waiting for my coffee to brew and I heard "that sizzle." You know that sound. I jumped up and there was coffee all over the counter and maybe an inch in the pot. So being the mental midget I am I reached for the switch and turned it off (mistake #1), grabbed the pot and pulled it out (mistake #2) while receiving a nice properly heated shower on my hand (mistake #3). I did not drop the carafe, I moved it slowly to the sink but the basket was full of grounds and water so I of course poured THAT all over my hand (mistake #4). The good news is I am awake now.

Some cold water on my hand and a prolonged cleanup and things are back to normal. Seems like 1st degree burns only, but my hand is sore.

Pretty sure this grinder, after a couple years of faithful service, has bit the dust. I noticed a lot more fines in it lately and that little hint I got was the icing on the cake. This is the one I have now:

$81tMG6DLbGL._SL1500_.jpg

Mr. Coffee BVMC-BMH23 Automatic Burr Mill Grinder

The wife and I enjoy our coffee, a pot a day in the morning (because what woman would not like her man bringing her freshly ground/brewed coffee while she gets ready?) and I certainly don't want to go backwards in quality. I did a quick search on the Googles and I had minor heart failure when I saw what a guy could spend on a grinder.

What I liked about this:
  • It made a decent grind once upon a time
  • It was ~$40 new

What I did not like:
  • Dosing was inconsistent - Lately I have been weighing my beans and grinding the batch
  • Grind was never perfect (but was a lot closer than it is now)
  • The plastic bin had some static and the grounds would stick to the sides necessitating a lot of banging and scraping
  • I don't think the bin was the best for storing the beans. We go through a 12 oz bag of beans a week and that should be fast enough to keep fresh but I think it was way too "open"

So that brings me to what I would like to have in a new grinder.

Needs:

• Consistent grind
  • "Walk away" while it is grinding
  • Price that will not cause my wife to think Starbucks is not so expensive anymore

Nice to haves:

• Consistent dosing
  • Bean storage
  • Something that doesn't need cleaning after each use

Any suggestions? Please be gentle on my wallet. :001_smile

I think for a low-end grinder, most people will say wait for a refurbished Baratza. I would agree, but I personally got tired of waiting. And even if I did get the Baratza, it would have cost more than the grinder I wound up with: http://www.amazon.com/Capresso-560-01-Infinity-Grinder-Black/dp/B0000AR7SY

It's a pretty good grinder with a couple faults. The bin can get a little static-y at times...I've noticed that the issue is very bean dependent. There's almost zero cling with light roasts. The second issue is that while the burr is very well made, the chamber isn't the best designed. There's a little bit of a gap that results in some trapped grounds. However, it's nothing a tap or two towards the end of the grind can't fix. I purchased mine in the $60-70 range. I forgot what I paid exactly. I used a 20% off Bed, Bath and Beyond coupon and got extra cashback with my Discover card.

I can't help you with the purchase of a new grinder but I can say I have the one above and find I had to adjust my expectations of it. Foremost it's not really a grind per batch and not meant to be clean after each use. You just grind about how much you need and measure it if you want to be precise. Then the next day grind another batch on to of the left over coffee. Once a week blow it out with compressed air. I find the full coarse setting good for my electric perk and medium for the Keurig basket. It's not ideal but it's inexpensive and functional if managed this way.

I think for a low-end grinder, most people will say wait for a refurbished Baratza. I would agree, but I personally got tired of waiting. And even if I did get the Baratza, it would have cost more than the grinder I wound up with: http://www.amazon.com/Capresso-560-01-Infinity-Grinder-Black/dp/B0000AR7SY

It's a pretty good grinder with a couple faults. The bin can get a little static-y at times...I've noticed that the issue is very bean dependent. There's almost zero cling with light roasts. The second issue is that while the burr is very well made, the chamber isn't the best designed. There's a little bit of a gap that results in some trapped grounds. However, it's nothing a tap or two towards the end of the grind can't fix. I purchased mine in the $60-70 range. I forgot what I paid exactly. I used a 20% off Bed, Bath and Beyond coupon and got extra cashback with my Discover card.
Where does one get in line (or hunt) for a refurbished Baratza?

Is the one you use good at dosing or is it more of a timer?

I can't help you with the purchase of a new grinder but I can say I have the one above and find I had to adjust my expectations of it. Foremost it's not really a grind per batch and not meant to be clean after each use. You just grind about how much you need and measure it if you want to be precise. Then the next day grind another batch on to of the left over coffee. Once a week blow it out with compressed air. I find the full coarse setting good for my electric perk and medium for the Keurig basket. It's not ideal but it's inexpensive and functional if managed this way.
Which one, the Capresso?

The Mr Coffee I have is imprecise as well so I just weigh the beans and grind till they are done.

Lee,
is a manual grinder completely out of the question? If not, check out the reviews of the Hario Skerton. I like not having to rely on electricity and motors and this does a very nice job. Probably as good as your Mr. Coffee, but not as well as the high end grinders others will recommend.

Of course, I'm enjoying immensely roasting my beans in a cast iron skillet so consider the source.

is a manual grinder completely out of the question? If not, check out the reviews of the Hario Skerton. I like not having to rely on electricity and motors and this does a very nice job. Probably as good as your Mr. Coffee, but not as well as the high end grinders others will recommend.

Of course, I'm enjoying immensely roasting my beans in a cast iron skillet so consider the source.
Mark you guys are NOT gonna get me roasting my own beans! :w00t:

I think for this application hand grinding is out. At 4:00 AM I need things to work without too much hassle. Weighing the beans is about as much work as I can manage.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. That's what I said. Life2short kept sending me crack in the form of freshly roasted coffee and next thing I know, I can't live without it.

If you don't want to roast beans, then my suggestion is don't ever have fresh roasted coffee more than three mornings in a row.

We use a KRUPS F203 Electric Spice and Coffee Grinder with Stainless Steel Blades. It works like a charm. $20 delivered with Amazon Prime.

Don't like it? Return it for a full refund (less return shipping). What do you have to lose?

Yeah, yeah, yeah. That's what I said. Life2short kept sending me crack in the form of freshly roasted coffee and next thing I know, I can't live without it.

If you don't want to roast beans, then my suggestion is don't ever have fresh roasted coffee more than three mornings in a row.
Well I have a local roaster actually so I'm already more than a little spoiled. I used to work 50 yards from the place so I could get beans every day.

We use a KRUPS F203 Electric Spice and Coffee Grinder with Stainless Steel Blades. It works like a charm. $20 delivered with Amazon Prime.

Don't like it? Return it for a full refund (less return shipping). What do you have to lose?
I've actually gone through a few of those. I felt the burr grinder was a small step up from there, looking to try a conical this time. I still have three of those I use for ... spices of all things. :thumbup1:

I'd join in with the others with a recommendation of a Baratza. If you think about how much you love your coffee, even the extra $30 (vs the Capresso) if you don't wait for a refurbished model isn't so bad. It's not even one week of Starbucks if you can't brew at home! And customer service is hard to beat with Baratza.

The Black and Decker might function okay as an entry level grinder, but it appears to use more internal plastic than most, so it may not last as long. For more feedback, you will be interested in reading this thread: Black and decker burr grinder review.

It is rare to find a refurbished drip grinder for sale on the Baratza website, so I would only shop there if considering one of their higher end espresso grinders. I would recommend a Baratza Encore model for you needs, but it costs about 3x more than the B&D.

I would echo the Baratza recommendations. For the price, I don't think that you can get a more consistent grind, and a more versatile grinder. I have a Preciso, and grind for espresso daily. It can grind fine enough for Turkish, and course enough for French press. The grind is reasonably consistent, considering the price. To get a more consistent grind, the jump in price to better grinders is considerable. However, the best thing about Baratza is their customer service. They are friendly, helpful, and prompt. They also have some good how to videos on their website regarding maintenance and repair.

Pour over coffee like you are making does not require as consistent a grind as espresso, and you can probably get by with a less expensive grinder, but I don't think that you would regret purchasing a Baratza. It will give you greater flexibility should you want to start trying other brewing methods, and will also give you the latitude to try different grinds to find what suits your taste best with the method that you are currently using.

Finally, don't even consider a blade type grinder if you want consistency. There is simply no way that you can even approach a uniform particle size with a blade grinder. Only a burr grinder can achieve that.

Hope this helps.

Matt

I'd join in with the others with a recommendation of a Baratza. If you think about how much you love your coffee, even the extra $30 (vs the Capresso) if you don't wait for a refurbished model isn't so bad. It's not even one week of Starbucks if you can't brew at home! And customer service is hard to beat with Baratza.
I just felt the need to say I was using Starbucks as a price comparison ... thankfully (and bragging a little) we have a cafe where I work and they use locally roasted coffee. Yeah, not spoiled at all.

The Black and Decker might function okay as an entry level grinder, but it appears to use more internal plastic than most, so it may not last as long. For more feedback, you will be interested in reading this thread: Black and decker burr grinder review..
Mine lasted ... a year maybe? And it's still working, just producing a much less consistent grind than it used to. If I shake up the container to evenly distribute coarse and fines, it behaves better but I'm working too hard just to get the coffee ground and I'm sure it's not an optimal cup.

I would echo the Baratza recommendations. For the price, I don't think that you can get a more consistent grind, and a more versatile grinder.
I should have known better than to ask here. :w00t:

I am looking at the Encore, but he wife has not reached the same conclusion I have. I'll keep working on her. I also like that the whole line has a grind by weight mechanism (Esatto) available which speaks to my gadgetry need.

Finally, don't even consider a blade type grinder if you want consistency. There is simply no way that you can even approach a uniform particle size with a blade grinder. Only a burr grinder can achieve that.
BTDT. What also worries me is the heat created which is non-trivial. I have another pastime where I occasionally have to grind a small amount of chemicals. One of those decomposes at 284 °F and the chemical very obviously decomposed. That gives me all I need to know about how a blade grinder will hurt the delicate components of the coffee. It should be noted that nothing feels warm (unless you run it too long) coming out of there, the temperature increases are at the point of impact.

I always read the 1 star reviews on Amazon for any item I'm considering. Those reviews are the most telling, IMO. None of the 1 star reviews of the burr grinders recommended here inspire confidence in the products (and there are quite a few 1 star reviews)...particularly considering the high price tags.

Last edited:
Mark you guys are NOT gonna get me roasting my own beans! :w00t:

I think for this application hand grinding is out. At 4:00 AM I need things to work without too much hassle. Weighing the beans is about as much work as I can manage.

Roasting your own beans saves you soo much money though... :lol:

I have a Rancilo Rocky, I love it.

I always read the 1 star reviews on Amazon for any item I'm considering. Those reviews are the most telling, IMO. None of the 1 star reviews of the burr grinders recommended here inspire confidence in the products (and there are quite a few 1 star reviews)...particularly considering the high price tags.

I look at 1 star reviews, but don't give them the weight as much as 2 and 3 star ones. I look for trends in the 1 star reviews. I also don't give much weight to 5 star ones either. And doing an "eyeball" bell curve on the number of starred reviews is also informative.

-jim

Top Bottom