What's new

Need some expert opinions

I am new to this board and fairly new to wetshaving. I am looking for some help on buying my first quality brush. I currently have a col conk pure badger brush.

I am looking to buy either a chubby 1 in super or a SR 3120 or 3122. I plan on using both soaps and creams. I prefer a smaller sized brush because I also want to use it as a travel brush.

Can anyone list the pros/cons. I would like to know what is going to be more durable, best quality, most dense, produce the most quality lather, softest tips, least floppy, etc. I know there are a lot of experts on this site as I have been reading it for awhile and I appreciate your help. I would also like to know if you were a beginner would these be good brushes to start with?

Also if anyone could put up pictures that would be a great help.

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Chris. It depends a lot on what you are looking for. If I might suggest something, perhaps it would make sense to buy a mid-level brush first before shelling out big bucks on a Chubby, etc. This way you'll get a better sense of what you are looking for. I would suggest getting a SR-208 brush from Charles at QED. It is a handsome (tortoise shell), well packed, soft brush that is a joy to use. And, it only costs <$60. From there you can decide if you like softer, firmer, more/less bristle, etc. Jumping to a Chubby is a big risk, IMO.

Also keep in mind that the performance and quality of brushes above a certain price level are very subtle. Any of them will last a lifetime and whip up lather like no one's business. From there, there are differences in softness, stiffness, name recognition, etc. but in the end it is about your personal likes and dislikes.

This probably isn't the answer you are looking for, but hey, what are you going to do? :rolleyes:

I agree with Scotto, but Charles at QED also has some smaller brushes in that same line. The SR-208 is a 25mm brush, but he also has the SR-204 which I think is a 20mm. Any brush in the SR line would be a great choice.
Cheers, DJ.

Jack Bauer said:
I would like to know what is going to be more durable, best quality, most dense, produce the most quality lather, softest tips, least floppy

With the SR 3120 or 3122 you got all the qualifications you mentioned in one brush for a very decent price imo; i would look no further :wink: ......:biggrin:

Peter

Thanks for your help guys. Peter, since I have read that you have amassed a large collection of brushes, do you feel the SR 3120 or 3122 is better all around than the chubby 1 even though they are both considerably cheaper? Also I have seen on QED that the 3120 is not pictured on the website, is it still available?

I would rather spend more money and get a great brush now than buy something cheaper and figure out what I want from that.

Also, I was thinking of picking up some shave sticks, do the SRs work well with those too?

Chris,

The only difference between the SR 3120 and the SR 3122 is that the 3120 has a 2mm smaller knot size. I received my SR 3120 about two weeks ago and it is everything you described in your laundry list of what you desire in a brush. I had the same question about which size to order, so I decided to start with the 20mm and see how I liked it...and...I really like it. I like it so much I now plan to order the SR 3122 [when my shaving slush fund is replenished]. Nothing like collecting the whole 31- series! :wink:

I also have a ShaveMac 23mm handmade silvertip, which is my current favorite brush. However, the Savile Rows have that same 'lightbulb' shape of the ShaveMac and after using the SR, I found they also feel just as nice as the ShaveMac. The 23mm may be the perfect size brush...however, I want to have a 20mm, a 22mm and a 24mm before I make the final call on that one! Then again, wouldn't it be nice to have a brush for every day of the week? Or quite possibly, a different ShaveMac for 7 days...then a different Savile Row for 7 days? :biggrin:

So you might want to buy both to see which you like best, keep one and sell the other....or just keep 'em both and buy more! At any rate, I don't think you'll be disappointed in the Savile Row brushes. :smile:

Just to further clarify, as someone who owns many brushes, there is nothing like my beloved Savile Row silvertips. However, I feel I appreciate them even more now after having some other, less expensive brushes so I could figure out what I really like. I am sure you would be blissfully happy with any of the SR silvertips.

Scotto and Ron,

Thanks so much for your help it is really appreciated. I am going to give Charles a call tomorrow and figure this all out. I wish I could buy 2 right now but I just can justify it. Now its down to deciding between the 20mm and 22mm. I just cant justify paying an extra $50+ for a chubby or a Simpson even though I am sure they are great brushes. Maybe in the future.

Chris

Jack Bauer said:
Scotto and Ron,

Thanks so much for your help it is really appreciated. I am going to give Charles a call tomorrow and figure this all out. I wish I could buy 2 right now but I just can justify it. Now its down to deciding between the 20mm and 22mm. I just cant justify paying an extra $50+ for a chubby or a Simpson even though I am sure they are great brushes. Maybe in the future.

Chris

Chris,

Since I already had a 23mm is the reason I ordered the 20mm SR. I didn't think 1mm smaller was enough of a difference to warrant buying the 22mm brush. I just thought I wanted to try a smaller brush, so I ordered the 20mm [they also come in an 18mm, which is just too small IMHO] and I can now tell you that the 20mm is definitely the smallest brush I want in my rotation. In all seriousness, I think the 22mm just might be close to an ideal size for me; I have thus far not had a desire for the larger brushes [above 24mm]. Now that could change in the future.

The 20mm works just fine for lathering, and it just takes a nanosecond or two longer to lather over the entire face. It's efficiency in making great lather is equally as good as my 23mm ShaveMac. It all boils down to what works for you, what your size preferences are. Personally, and knowing what I know now, if I were to be limited to 'only one brush size', it would be in the 21 to 24 mm size range. YMMV!

Lemme throw you for a loop.... if you want a great brush that can be used daily - and will excel as a travel brush, and you prefer smaller brushes (as you stated) why not get a Simpson Major in Super? :001_wub:

Joel,

I have thought about the Simpson major but am unsure if that is an adequate size brush to use everyday. Would you prefer the major to the SR 3120 or 3122? There is a men's clothing store here in Portland (Mario's) that offers the major in super for $110 (which is a great price I saw mentioned by another poster on this board). This is all way to confusing to figure out.

Let me know what you think.

Also, no one seems to be coming to the defense of the Chubby 1.

Chris

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I'm also considering the SR 3120. I'm looking for a small brush to use primarily with soaps and want something stiffer than my Vulfix Best. Can someone comment on how the SR 3120 works with soaps? Is it reasonabley stiff? Thanks

Jordan

Just a slightly opposing view, I have a SR 208 in super, a Chubby 2 in Super, a T&H Turnback in Super, and an AOS in pure badger. Out of all of them the one I like the best is the Chubby 2. I'm going to guess that it would be a slightly different beast then a Chubby 1 because I think the loft of the Chubby 1 is shorter than the 2 which would probably make it a pretty stiff brush. Having said that I would personally prefer the Chubby to the SR, for my money my SR is just to floppy. The key here is that I prefer a brush that has soft tips and a shaft that is stiffer. If you have a good idea what your preference is regarding flex of the brush that might make it easier to decide which one to order. I do think Joel has a great point, while I don't have one myself (yet) it might be worth thinking about the Simpson major, the reviews all seem to be really good and it would be hard to beat for travel. I use my T&H at the moment when I want a really small brush and it works great but I'll be picking up a Major for myself at some point in the near future.

Have fun and it will be interesting to hear your decision and how it works out once you receive the brush!

jnich67 said:
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I'm also considering the SR 3120. I'm looking for a small brush to use primarily with soaps and want something stiffer than my Vulfix Best. Can someone comment on how the SR 3120 works with soaps? Is it reasonabley stiff? Thanks

Jordan

SR 3120 = Stiff shafts, soft tips and densely packed! Works great on all my HoneyBee soaps as well as Tabac soap. I have NO complaints with my SR!

If you're chasing classy looks, rugged quality and a name, buy Simpsons, but when it comes to performance they're often very overrated IMO. I prefer my Savile Row silvertips, Rooney, etc. to the three Simpsons I've sold. I will keep the PJ2 Best though; it's a winner. But the SR-3322 is as close to the perfect brush as any I've tried.

And from what I've seen, Simpsons Best hair is definitely softer than their Super.

John

An off topic question but something I am very interested in.

I have read some places that people don't use certain brushes with colored shaving creams. Why? Does the cream stain or ruin the brushes? Just curious.

Chris

greendyk said:
If you're chasing classy looks, rugged quality and a name, buy Simpsons, but when it comes to performance they're often very overrated IMO. I prefer my Savile Row silvertips, Rooney, etc. to the three Simpsons I've sold. I will keep the PJ2 Best though; it's a winner. But the SR-3322 is as close to the perfect brush as any I've tried.

And from what I've seen, Simpsons Best hair is definitely softer than their Super.

John

John,

You say the PJ2 Best is softer than the super, which I have read from other members as well. Since I also have a Savile Row, can you compare the "feel on the face" of the PJ2 Best & the Savile Row Silvertip?

Jack Bauer said:
An off topic question but something I am very interested in.

I have read some places that people don't use certain brushes with colored shaving creams. Why? Does the cream stain or ruin the brushes? Just curious.

Chris

Wow. You are good! You answered your own question!

Randy

rtaylor61 said:
Wow. You are good! You answered your own question!

Randy

Does this mean that you can't use high end creams i.e. Trumpers or Taylors because they are colored and will stain? This seems pretty ridiculous.

Chris

Chris,

No, it doesn't mean that at all. But some gents have found that some of the creams do stain their brushes, and choose to use their less expensive brushes for that reason. I've never had any issues with my brushes being stained by any creams.

Randy

Top Bottom