What's new

Need Some Expert Advice

Every shave continues to get better for me. I consider myself a semi newbie at this point. I'm almost 6 months in and can get a pretty darn good shave now. I have one spot on my lower neck where my whiskers grow almost parallel with my skin. Every time I shave I end up with tiny red bumps in one spot. I'm positive I'm only going WTG in this spot. It seems if I keep a shallow angle they don't get cut. When I make the angle steep enough to cut the whiskers is when I get these bumps. I would think if it was too much pressure I would also get razor burn and not just the bumps but I may be wrong. Any tips for me?

Have you tried stretching the skin against your beard grain to pull the hair upright? It may allow that shallow angle to work.

Could be ingrowns or trapped hairs. You might try a little gentle exfoliation on that spot a little before shaving. Sometimes I use a dry, clean toothbrush for that.

For flat-growing hairs in general I find an open-comb razor does better.

Every shave continues to get better for me. I consider myself a semi newbie at this point. I'm almost 6 months in and can get a pretty darn good shave now. I have one spot on my lower neck where my whiskers grow almost parallel with my skin. Every time I shave I end up with tiny red bumps in one spot. I'm positive I'm only going WTG in this spot. It seems if I keep a shallow angle they don't get cut. When I make the angle steep enough to cut the whiskers is when I get these bumps. I would think if it was too much pressure I would also get razor burn and not just the bumps but I may be wrong. Any tips for me?
I would also try to map that area, see where the grain go.......
proxy.php

I've been stretching the skin to create a flat surface to shave. Is it possible I'm over stretching the skin? The hairs grow south to north and a tiny bit sideways from my nose to ear. The redness comes almost right after shaving. The hairs grow back fine and I don't feel any irritation. Just the redness. I don't really know what else to try.

Sounds like you have tried quite a few things. Does aftershave or a shave balm sooth the redness? I don't have to deal with much irritation but my skin does get slightly red after each shave. A cool water splash, a little witch hazel and then some Nivea shave balm and the redness is gone within 10 min.

You also mentioned only going WTG in that area. Have you tried an XTG or a between XTG/ATG pass? It sounds like this skin is sensitive and you have to find a way to cut the whiskers just above the skin using absolutely no pressure. I like the suggestion of an open comb razor. It may allow you to meet the no pressure goal and still get those stubborn hairs!

I've noticed that on some people when they stretch the skin taut, the follicle bulb raises a bump under the skin. For some, when shaving these hundreds of bumps are standing there for the blade to catch. If minimal it might result in the bumps you describe. less stretching might be in order.

It is counter intuitive, but an Italian barber tilted my head down and to the side, used his free hand to push the skin on my neck. that is to say the opposite of stretching. I later tried it and found that this was standing my whiskers up in that area. I never adopted the practice, but it was interesting. Not knowing just where it is, if it is possible to grab the patch of skin and make it bulge, you might find it works for you too. Good luck

You might try using your other hand. There is one patch on one side of my adam's apple that if I shave it with the razor in my right hand, regardless of WTG/XTG1/XTG2/ATG it just doesn't catch it. But if I switch to my left hand (extra careful to use zero pressure since I'm less agile with my left hand) and going XTG1+XTG2, it catches it.

Just a thought.

I had a very strange experience with R89 (same head as EJ 89): Exactly on the sides of the Adam's apple, I got really much red spots. They came the very same second I pulled the razor over those areas. No other razor did ever do that to me. At that point been using the very aggressive R41 for about a half of a year as only razor, so I knew how to have zero pressure. After a few more shaves, I simply gave up on that razor. It did not fit my face.

It is impossible for me to know if your razor is fitting you. Most of the time a razor would shave anyone OK. Often the problem is in the technique or having bad blades. But I am still throwing this in as this was the case for me.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice, everyone. It's been frustrating but I'll try out all these suggestions and see where it gets me.

Top Bottom