What's new

Need some direction.

So I just started a few months ago.

My first brush was the omega 11047 banded boar.

proxy.php

Total Height: 73 mm
Loft: 43mm
Knot: 20mm
Hair: Banded boar / Badger mix

The brush works fine...........has shed close to a dozen hairs but who cares, it was cheap.

My problem is the brush is a little small. It's kind of a pain in the butt to bowl lather and a REAL pain in the butt if not near impossible to lather in my GTP 20 scuttle. I really like the scuttle but it's such a pain trying to make a lather in it with such a little brush so I never use the darn thing.

So fast forward about a month and I decided to try a different brush. I bought Maggards Synthetic brush.

proxy.php

Total Height114mm
Loft57mm
Knot24mm
Handle Height57mm
Handle Waist23mm

I really enjoy the size of this brush. I also enjoy the softness of this brush, its way softer than my omega although the softness isn't a big deal breaker for me.

There are two things I DO NOT like about this brush.

#1. It takes twice as long to build a lather with it. I'd suppose because it's so soft and also because of reason #2.

#2. The brush itself absorbs roughly 40% of my lather..........I dunno that this is a big deal really, I guess I just don't like it.

SO

What can you guys recommend to me that is:

• somewhat soft
  • has good backbone for hard soaps
  • is a decent size brush that would be easy to use with my bowl and scuttle.

I would be comfortable around the $100 range but I'm not gonna be spending much over $125.........especially on a whim. Cheaper is better for right now until I figure out what is going to work best for me.

Last edited:
I do not know if I can post a link since I am unsure if they are B&B vendors.

I would recommend a:
Vintage Blades Finest 24mm badger brush around $40

Stirling Finest badger brush in 24 or 26mm. around $40 currently on sale for $32.

Omega 10290 boar- $10 its 24mm

or have Rudy Vey make you a custom brush with a TGN Finest knot. That's going to be around $100, depending on material.

I have tried the Vintage Blades and have multiple RV brushes. I also own multiple brushes with TGN knots.
To be completely honest, I have not tried the Stirling. But they have received really good reviews and sold out pretty quickly. Usually when a new hot item appears and gets glowing reviews, if you wait a couple of months they reappear on the BST. This has not happened with the Stirling Finest brushes. This confirms the reviews as the owners are not willing to let them go.

Last edited:
Semogue 620. It is boar, so a little hard to start with, but breaks in nicely with smooth tips and solid backbone. Also not a lather hog.

Just go Omega Pro 49 and done. You know you like the Omega bristles, the price point is still roughly $10 and it's firmly in the large brush category.

Of course, if you want to go even bigger, the Pro 48 is awesome!

You might want to try to improve your technique with the synthetic. One mistake that I saw some people do is not pressing enough so the brush will splay.
For me, these kind of synthetics (Plisson) are much more efficient than any kind of natural hair brush. They need less soap, they build lather very fast, and they distribute it very well.

I suspect you'd like the omega 48 since you bowl lather. It's huge so your knuckles don't whack the bowl :)

If you just want to try out different brushes, then check out whippeddog.com's brushes.
Their performance competes with brushes that are much more expensive.

However, the shave revolution brush is a 4th gen synthetic. And the 3rd + 4th gens ALL make lather with less soap and faster than ANY boar or badger brush. They don't hold heat, and splay unnaturally, and ones with backbone have a tendency to dump their water all at once if you bowl lather - but they make great lather faster with less soap.

For your synthetic brush - Just dunk it in water, swirl it around a bit to make sure it's fully loaded with water, gently flick out excess water, and load the brush on your soap for 30 seconds. Then add a dribble of water to the center of the knot, and start making lather.

Ps: none of the synthetics absorb water. Plastic bristles just can't.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Just go Omega Pro 49 and done. You know you like the Omega bristles, the price point is still roughly $10 and it's firmly in the large brush category.

I was going to say the same thing. Any brush is going to hold on to lather, and a larger brush will hold on to more than a smaller one, but this brush is certainly worth a try.

I suspect you'd like the omega 48 since you bowl lather. It's huge so your knuckles don't whack the bowl :)

If you just want to try out different brushes, then check out whippeddog.com's brushes.
Their performance competes with brushes that are much more expensive.

However, the shave revolution brush is a 4th gen synthetic. And the 3rd + 4th gens ALL make lather with less soap and faster than ANY boar or badger brush. They don't hold heat, and splay unnaturally, and ones with backbone have a tendency to dump their water all at once if you bowl lather - but they make great lather faster with less soap.

For your synthetic brush - Just dunk it in water, swirl it around a bit to make sure it's fully loaded with water, gently flick out excess water, and load the brush on your soap for 30 seconds. Then add a dribble of water to the center of the knot, and start making lather.

Ps: none of the synthetics absorb water. Plastic bristles just can't.

I have a really hard time believing the synthetics don't absorb water. I can likely squeeze 3-4 tablespoons our of mine after I soak it.

Last edited:
You might want to try to improve your technique with the synthetic. One mistake that I saw some people do is not pressing enough so the brush will splay.
For me, these kind of synthetics (Plisson) are much more efficient than any kind of natural hair brush. They need less soap, they build lather very fast, and they distribute it very well.

I've tried it a bunch of different ways a bunch of different times. Same results

I'd recommend a Semogue SOC Badger. I believe that it is a 24mm brush. It has good backbone and can be had for about $75.

The synthetic bristles themselves don't absorb water - but water IS held between the bristles by surface tension. That is why they don't need soaking before lathering and why they dry so fast.

The synthetic bristles themselves don't absorb water - but water IS held between the bristles by surface tension. That is why they don't need soaking before lathering and why they dry so fast.
Ah, that makes more sense.

Thanks

Given that you have tried a boar and a synthetic, I suggest you try a badger. For me that would be one of Simpsons options.

Simpson Colonel X2L is pretty well regarded. I think it's the best reasonably priced all around brush out there.

Top Bottom