What's new

Need Some Advice

I did not like the tuxedo knot in my Yaqi Sagrada Familia, so I steamed it out. So far, so good. Here's what it looks like:
IMG_20210119_203842.jpg

The brush is supposedly a 24 mm, but the opening is more like 25-26 mm. A US quarter fits comfortably in that opening with some room to spare. I measure it with a ruler at 26. You can also see a ledge around the perimeter of the opening at a depth of about 10 mm from the top. Should I try to remove that? The section you can't see in the photo has a portion missing so it's not entirely intact. If I am to remove it, how do you recommend doing it? I have a Dremel. Should I try cutting it or sanding it? Do you think it likely that the plug of a 24 mm knot will fit inside that ring? If not, I don't think that I'll have enough depth without removing that ring.

Any advice is welcome. I have done other restores, but this one doesn't look like the others I've done.

It may be best to aquire the new knot and check the fitment before doing any further modification. A knot should have a 1 to 2 mm around it in the hole so a 26mm hole sounds about right for a 24mm knot. The knots are generally mesured at the base of the glue plug and they flair out as they go up. That's why they need the extra room in the hole.
Hope this makes sense and is helpful.

Here’s what I did to mine:

Here’s what I did to mine:

You are certainly much more ambitious than I (also better equipped with tools apparently). I was happy that I was able to Dremel out the handle fairly evenly, as I was holding the handle in one hand and the Dremel in the other.

Don’t like it much. Has a lotta stitch. Maybe after a bunch more uses it will chill out.
Sorry to hear that you don't like the new knot that much (at least so far). I did a re-knot on an old Made Rite handle in which I placed a 20 mm Maggard 2 band badger. It's one of my favorite brushes.

I wanted the Sagrada Familia to be a travel brush, since it has such a compact handle, so the synthetic knots seemed a better choice for me.

Top Bottom