What's new

Need some advice

I have one RazoRock mission razor and a Parker PT shavette. I really like and completely happy with my mission razor. I didn't like the Parker for the simple fact that I was spending an hour shaving with it and the shave wasn't as good as the DE. I did however enjoy the aspect of the straight shave.
I am thinking about another razor. I am pondering a proper straight or a slant de. Can I get some pros and con's of these two from their owners.
Cheers
John

I own the Shavecraft #102 Slant by Ikon. It's a mild but very efficient shave. I can get a DFS to BBS with it fast. I grab it any time I'm in a hurry. It's not my everyday razor, but I do use it a couple of times every week. Don't get me wrong, I could use it every day, but I love my RR Mission for my everyday shave. I would definitely recommend the slant as a second razor (or in this case, third razor)

I regularly use a Merkur 37c slant bar. A very hefty compact razor that gives glorious shaves. The more exposed blade seems to cut more whiskers with few passes. I can get a very nice shave with 2 WTG passes, whereas I need XTG or ATG passes to get the same results with a regular safety razor. The tricky thing using a slant bar is working it under your nose and around your upper lip; you need to be very careful because that exposed blade can bite you badly. Can't comment on straight razors as I've only had a straight razor shave at a barber shop. Hope this helped; good luck on the search.

I think the common transition works like this, cartridge >DE razor closed comb> DE open comb> DE more aggressive razors/ adjustable>Slant razors> straight razors.

Razorock stealth slant is the best for beginner, but very difficult to get.

You won't really know what you like until you try them. But the good news is you can sell off any of the things you're considering without losing a whole lot. Slants and straights both get snapped up quickly as long as they're quality pieces in good condition.

I had a couple slants and after giving them plenty of time I decided they weren't as good for me as several other "normal" DE's. I'm still working on straights. A tough beard makes for an extra-steep learning curve with them so I'm still climbing that. A straight is more forgiving than the shavette you've got, so if you were struggling with nicks and razor burn, a real straight may be just the thing for you.

A straight is more forgiving than the shavette you've got, so if you were struggling with nicks and razor burn, a real straight may be just the thing for you.

Nicks wasn't the problem at first, the blood letting was. I did get quite a bit better. My biggest problem with the shavette was the one inch blade. It would take an hour for a full shave. I think I would enjoy a straight. The reason, wrong or right, I started with a shavette was the learning curve. I surmised by reading loads of posts that angle and technique on a shavette is a little more forgiving than on a straight. I figured that once I got that down then I could move onto a straight. Time and I actually got a better shave from DE was reason I gave up on the shavette.
This might be one of things were I will have to try a slant and a proper straight before I pony up some dollars for either.
Thank you for the info as it was very helpful.
John

+2 Merkur slant. Efficient, smooth razor. Gets DFS/BBS in 2 passes for me, same as R41, but feels as mild as my EJ.
I have some sensitive areas right under my entire jaw line. It seems like no two hairs grown in the same direction. If I go straight down with my Mission razor no hair at all removed from my entire neck. My question is do you think the Merkur slant will help or make that area worse?
Thanks
John

I regularly use a Merkur 37c slant bar. A very hefty compact razor that gives glorious shaves. The more exposed blade seems to cut more whiskers with few passes. I can get a very nice shave with 2 WTG passes, whereas I need XTG or ATG passes to get the same results with a regular safety razor. The tricky thing using a slant bar is working it under your nose and around your upper lip; you need to be very careful because that exposed blade can bite you badly. Can't comment on straight razors as I've only had a straight razor shave at a barber shop. Hope this helped; good luck on the search.

I was thinking about just letting the barber use a straight on me once a month; for about $12 can't go wrong with that. The 37c is the one that I keep looking at. From the posts and reviews it seems like a nice middle of the road razor.
Thank you for the tip on the under the nose thing. I have not read about or seen any posts on that but it makes complete sense.
John

+1 On the 37c, much better price and quality shaver. I love mine. If you like the 34 HD you will love the Slant bar. Its pretty much the same head only slanted.

I think the common transition works like this, cartridge >DE razor closed comb> DE open comb> DE more aggressive razors/ adjustable>Slant razors> straight razors.

I did the opposite. Straight razor> Weber PH. It was a difficult way to start wet shaving, but very rewarding. I am pretty good with a straight but it was the maintenance that persuaded me to turn it into a "once in a while" proposition. I guess it all comes down to what you want from your wet shaving experience. Some see it as a very rewarding hobbie. I personally like the shave itself. A good soap, brush, razor and AS = happiness.

Top Bottom