What's new

Need some advice

Alright fellas, got what looks like the most important cup of coffee in my young career coming up on Friday. One hour of face time with a VP of Legal at my company (on the fortune global 500). I'm finishing law school this year and I figure this is my chance to pitch for a full-time job with the company later on. The meeting itself is pretty informal in nature - just to discuss what it's like to work as in-house counsel, so it's not by any means an interview. It being a Friday though kind of throws a kink into what I was planning on wearing. My company as a rule flies pretty casual on Fridays - my VP (not the same one) usually wears jeans on Friday - though lawyers tend to dress more conservatively. So I'm torn on how to present myself in this situation.

So, what'll it be: suit or no suit?

'No suit' would consist of dark jeans, black dress shoes, pressed white shirt (no tie) and blazer.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
, so it's not by any means an interview. .
Don't kid yourself. It is every bit an interview and you should not let the opportunity slip by if you have a chance to make a good impression and you are seeking full-time employment with this company. If the office policy is dress down Fridays then I would go with something a little more than jeans. A pair of gabs, dress shirt, tie and navy blue blazer and a pair of POLISHED shoes will exhibit an air of casual but neat, take me seriously kinda look. Jeans, imo, exhibit a "watch me do a tequila shooter" after work kinda look. I know that might be a bit extreme but after being an attorney for 25 years, the only time I ever wore jeans to the office was on the weekends and that was only if I wasn't meeting with clients. Good luck with the "face time".

Last edited:
..... shoes make or break a suit....

.....if you wear a suit... make sure the shoes are lace up and have leather soles.........

.........your Clark's or Hush Puppies are not going to cut it.........

.....and as johnniegold mentioned above ...... they have to be polished..

I agree with skipping the jeans, but as always I would only recomend wearing what you will feel most comfortable in. Confedence is more important than clothing here, good luck!

Don't kid yourself. It is every bit an interview and you should not let the opportunity slip by if you have a chance to make a good impression and you are seeking full-time employment with this company. If the office policy is dress down Fridays then I would go with something a little more than jeans. A pair of gabs, dress shirt, tie and navy blue blazer and a pair of POLISHED shoes will exhibit an air of casual but neat, take me seriously kinda look.Jeans, imo, exhibit a "watch me do a tequila shooter" after work kinda look. I know that might be a bit extreme but after being an attorney for 25 years, the only time I ever wore jeans to the office was on the weekends and that was only if I wasn't meeting with clients. Good luck with the "face time".

I agree with this 100%. Every second with someone high up is an interview. I would try talking with someone who works with or around the VP and try to find out what he wears on Fridays then dress accordingly. Personally, I always prefer to be overdressed than under.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Don't kid yourself. It is every bit an interview and you should not let the opportunity slip by if you have a chance to make a good impression and you are seeking full-time employment with this company. If the office policy is dress down Fridays then I would go with something a little more than jeans. A pair of gabs, dress shirt, tie and navy blue blazer and a pair of POLISHED shoes will exhibit an air of casual but neat, take me seriously kinda look. Jeans, imo, exhibit a "watch me do a tequila shooter" after work kinda look. I know that might be a bit extreme but after being an attorney for 25 years, the only time I ever wore jeans to the office was on the weekends and that was only if I wasn't meeting with clients. Good luck with the "face time".

do you want to be the odd man out showing up in a suit on casual Fridays? Go with pressed Chino's, pressed button down shirt (solid or nice pattern), no tie, and a nice Sportcoat. clean polished shoes (but not what you would wear with a suit), fresh clean shave, go lite or skip the cologne. Stay relaxed and be honest don't try to BS you way.

Yes ... yes ...

Put as much "business" in your "business casual" as you can ... without taking out the "casual" altogether, of course ...

Agree. You don't want to be "that guy", with the 3 piece suit that is trying to brown nose his way to a position, but as we said in the job fair thread, you want to be remembered positively, and memorably. Do you have a nice portfolio to write notes in, and a fountain pen? That is also a great way to look unique and professional and a little beyond your years.

I work in a similar Fortune 500 environment. I would wear gray or olive slacks, open collar dress shirt, ana a blazer. And the leather polished shoes. Good luck!

My vote goes to the slacks/chino with a well fitted dress shirt. Make sure your shoes look good, they tell everything.

Thanks for the input guys! I've set on a happy medium. Fitted grey flannel suit, well pressed white shirt, black polished shoes.

Wish me luck!

EDIT: also no tie.

Last edited:
Let's see, you are meeting with a VP of of a fortune 500 company that could employ you in the future. He's giving you an hour of his time. God knows what that't worth in dollars.... hmmmmm SUIT!!!! Is there really a question? Anything less will say to him that you have don't have much respect for his effort to meet with you, or for the company, or even enough respect for youself to put on a suit, which from the sound of it is the standard for the other 4 days of the week.

You don't dress for the day of the week. You dress for the purpose of what you have to do that day.

You don't dress for the day of the week. You dress for the purpose of what you have to do that day.

Great quote. I do that, yet I didn't think of it before now. I do a parenting tip on our local tv station, and I always wear a suit. Because of what I want to represent.
Good job. "shaveitoff"

Marty

Thanks for the input guys! I've set on a happy medium. Fitted grey flannel suit, well pressed white shirt, black polished shoes.

Wish me luck!

EDIT: also no tie.

Sounds good, but do you have a nice pair of black trousers to tone down the suit angle? This might come across as just as nice without running the risk of trying too hard.
Just my tuppence-worth.
Good luck.
And yes, be honest. I'm 100% sure he will know when you're being insincere. And it might be difficult, but try to relax a little, while still being respectful.

Top Bottom