What's new

Need some advice on picking my first quality de razor :

I tried franz's method of lathering and I actually got a better shave :thumbup: the razor glided better and I ended up with fewer rough spots.
Chrome, with a nice gripy handle would be awesome. I love classic cars so I say chrome is king :)

Do you guys think the reason I'm leaning towards a longer handle is because the last de razor I used was too small all around? or maybe I'm just too used to longer handled disposable razors.

I also want to thank everyone for their input. Usually when I join a forum not many people reply, but this forum is different and I'm looking forward to being on here :)

Check out Italian Barber (they are in Canada). They have their RazoRock line of products and they are all excellent products.
The RazoRock Mission is a great razor to start with and it comes with a sample pack of blades.

I do not own the RazoRock Mission, but it looks like an amazing deal, especially considering that you prefer a longer handle.

I tried franz's method of lathering and I actually got a better shave :thumbup: the razor glided better and I ended up with fewer rough spots.
Chrome, with a nice gripy handle would be awesome. I love classic cars so I say chrome is king :)

Do you guys think the reason I'm leaning towards a longer handle is because the last de razor I used was too small all around? or maybe I'm just too used to longer handled disposable razors.

In my experience, I like different handles for different reasons and length is not the biggest factor. For example, I love the short, faceted handle of the Merkur 1904 razor. However, I also own the FaTip Piccolo (short, heavy handle) and FaTip Grande (longer, hollow handle), and I prefer the handle on the Grande every time.

IMO the best thing to do is just pick any of the beginners' razors (Merkur 1904, 34C, or long-handle 38C; Edwin Jagger DE89; Muhle R89; RazoRock Mission) and work on your technique. As you learn how to properly shave, your face will tell you what you need to know, whether you need a more aggressive razor to avoid irritation from too many touch-ups, or whether you need a sharper or smoother blade, etc.

I have to recommend the RazoRock Mission again, if for no other reason than you get what seems to be a great beginners' razor and a sample pack of 20 blades.

You've got tons of great advice here already, and though I'm new here too I'll just throw in my 2 cents re: handle length. I was kind of frustrated with how short most DE handles are (compared to cartridges), until I read this post: http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Safety_Razor_Grips and tried holding it at the balance point, which is right next to the head, because it allows for the lightest grip. You should get what appeals to you from the above suggestions, sounds like you're already making great progress!

If you can find a Gillette Heavy Tech you won't be disappointed. An excellent razor, both efficient and mild.

There is no Gillette Heavy Tech razor....you must mean Fat Handle Tech.

$1939-1945 Fat Handle Tech Canada unusual handle.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom