What's new

Need soap recommendation: Slick and protective for neck

In typical B&B fashion, almost everyone is ignoring what OP said and just focusing on passing their respected shaving expertise. He stated that when he combines using a Shaving oil with his non tallow soaps then he does not experience the irritation. He's looking for a SOAP that is more PROTECTIVE and SLICK then Colonel Conk (a soap that is in nobody's top ten list) and Proraso.

I
In typical B&B fashion, almost everyone is ignoring what OP said and just focusing on passing their respected shaving expertise. He stated that when he combines using a Shaving oil with his non tallow soaps then he does not experience the irritation. He's looking for a SOAP that is more PROTECTIVE and SLICK then Colonel Conk (a soap that is in nobody's top ten list) and Proraso.
If your post was directed at me, that's fair. In my defense, I was trying to address the underlying issue (shaving irritation) instead of focusing solely on the question presented. It's like when someone complains that his car won't turn over and asks for advice on replacing his starter in his steering column but someone recommends he take a look at his spark plugs and battery first. It's possible the problem could be the starter in the steering column but it's more likely to be an issue with the battery or spark plug. 🙂

I

If your post was directed at me, that's fair. In my defense, I was trying to address the underlying issue (shaving irritation) instead of focusing solely on the question presented. It's like when someone complains that his car won't turn over and asks for advice on replacing his starter in his steering column but someone recommends he take a look at his spark plugs and battery first. It's possible the problem could be the starter in the steering column but it's more likely to be an issue with the battery or spark plug. 🙂
It was just in general no worries 😊

...address the underlying issue (shaving irritation) instead of focusing solely on the question presented...
This is in general a good approach to problem-solving: Instead of just answering a question, attempting to solve the underlying problem.

However, in my defense, I did provide some details that may have been overlooked by those answering (as pointed out by @godlike).

I guess my question could be written this way: "What can B&B members recommend as the slickest and most protective shave soaps?" (The neck irritation is background as to why I am asking.)

I’ll probably get booed off the stage for this but the two slickest things I’ve tried are regular hair conditioner and Cremo oh and American crew ultra glide shave oil. Try hair conditioner. You might be surprised
Combined or separate?

This is in general a good approach to problem-solving: Instead of just answering a question, attempting to solve the underlying problem.

However, in my defense, I did provide some details that may have been overlooked by those answering (as pointed out by @godlike).

I guess my question could be written this way: "What can B&B members recommend as the slickest and most protective shave soaps?" (The neck irritation is background as to why I am asking.)
Honestly, unless there's a reason you don't like your current shaving routine, if you're getting good shaves with it, why change it? Shaving is so much YMMV, who knows, maybe you need your current preshave routine for irritation-free shaves. Of course, if you want to find an excuse to try different soaps, hardware, shaving procedures, etc. you're in the right place--we're a bunch of enablers here! 😁

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
If its just the soap you want to change I would suggest the Body Shop Macca root Aloe cream. It's one of the slickest soaps/creams I've ever used with good ingredients. Hope this helps I get mine off Amazon and its not the most expensive I've ever used.

Honestly, unless there's a reason you don't like your current shaving routine, if you're getting good shaves with it, why change it? Shaving is so much YMMV, who knows, maybe you need your current preshave routine for irritation-free shaves. Of course, if you want to find an excuse to try different soaps, hardware, shaving procedures, etc. you're in the right place--we're a bunch of enablers here! 😁
This is a good point: With the cream gel and cream shave products I am using, I get better protection and irritation-free shaves (not so with soap). It is possible that shave soap is a product that just does not work well for me.

Using soap is fun, though. I am going to see if when I add some product to the soap (such as hair conditioner, as suggested here) when lathering whether it may improve the soap's performance to a level I find acceptable.

If its just the soap you want to change I would suggest the Body Shop Macca root Aloe cream. It's one of the slickest soaps/creams I've ever used with good ingredients. Hope this helps I get mine off Amazon and its not the most expensive I've ever used.
I am using two products that work really well for me: Hempz shave gel and Alba Botanica "very emollient" cream shave. I use a small plastic bowl and squeeze some of either of those two products (about a tablespoon or so) into the bowl. I wet my synthetic brush, swirl the product with the brush (there's no lather, really, just coat the brush tip with the product), apply to the face, and shave. This provides me a close, comfortable, and irritation-free shave. I was hoping I could get this with shave soap, but this just may not be possible for me. Oh well. I'll keep practicing, though.

I would try altering my technique (lighter pressure, try changing the angle of the handle either/both ways to see if that makes a difference) and razor blade choice. I'd get a sampler of 5-10 different blades.

Soap can make a difference, but you might be asking too much from soap.

+3! Technique trumps most everything else in ‘traditional’ wet shaving! :straight::straight:

For sure. Technique is super important.

Perhaps one day I will be skilled enough to use shave soap alone and not get irritation on my neck. (Shave soap alone works fine for my face -- just not my neck.)

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I hesitate to add anything because I'm so new to wet shaving. But............ you know how it is, right? We pass on the things we've learned.

Based on the recommendations of more seasoned wet shavers, I purchased some Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel-Cream extra dry skin... for an after shave balm. I have a few places on my face that sometimes burn after a close shave. The Hydro Boost calms those places down immediately.

So just something to consider. My technique has improved dramatically over the past 6 weeks of wet shaving. I found the perfect razor for me, personally... and using one razor has been a good thing for me. I know "YMMV", obviously. I'm still playing around with which AC blade works best,.. and based on some recommendations here, I'm trying a new cream that will show up today (Baume.be cream).

Still, the Neutrogena Hydro Boost has been amazing. I was using a great product from Executive Shaving Company as an after shave balm. I wasn't really looking for a new product, but a thread came up here, started by CzechCzar so I decided to give it a try. I couldn't be more pleased. New best-in-class: Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel-Cream - an absolute game changer - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/new-best-in-class-neutrogena-hydro-boost-gel-cream-an-absolute-game-changer.613733/

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Colonel Conk (a soap that is in nobody's top ten list)

Not so fast! Their discontinued Unscented soap has been my daily shave soap since Valentine’s Day, so it’s definitely one of my favorites. Their newer soaps are even slicker, but fragrance things aren’t my bag (aside from ARKO!, of course).

Col. Conk is produced about 30 miles south of where I live, so I will probably continue to buy their products to support local business in my area. FWIW, their almond soap lathers really nicely and I like the smell. Combined with an underlying "slickening" agent it provides a very nice shave.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Background: I am fairly new at DE shaving and enjoying my daily ritual immensely. I have tried two soaps so far: Proraso white and Col Conk almond.

I have a small plastic food container that fits my palm for bowl lathering. I use a potato peeler to peel off some soap and mash about a 2 inch diameter circle of thin soap on the bottom of the container and add about a teaspoon of water on top of the soap. I wet my synthetic brush (RazoRock plissoft "Disruptor"), squeeze it so it's not dripping, and swirl in the container. As far as I can tell, I get a really nice lather from either soap: Not too runny but still seems wet enough. We have hard water.

Even with a mild razor and a not-too-sharp blade (Van Der Hagen short handle TTO with a Dorco ST-300 blade), I get neck irritation. To avoid the irritation, I have found that Shave Secret oil (about 3 drops, massaged into my neck) as well as combining the shave soap with Alba Botanica "very emollient" cream shave provides a slickness and protective layer that prevents neck irritation.

Recommendation request: it would be nice in the long term to be able to shave only with the soap and get the slickness and protection I need. Has anyone else had this problem and solved it with a soap? What are some recommendations for a very slick and protective shave soap?

Thanks!

StewB
I don't know where you are in your quest.... I just got some Baume.be pre-shave and shaving cream yesterday. The difference between the slickness and lather, even compared to a couple of excellent soaps/cream I already had is sort of astounding... I couldn't find both products in stock at any of the smaller shaving companies so I purchased them from Amazon.

I just checked.. the Shaving cream is out of stock... only 3 left in stock of the Pre-Shave.... I bought them because Tomo and APBinNCA recommended them to me... so it isn't just a newbie who likes them. ;)

Top Bottom