What's new

Need restoration

http://imgur.com/a/Rxj9J

I need help finding someone who can restore this razor, I'm new to this forum thought this would be the best place to look.
I have some questions:

Can this razor be restored?
Should I have it restored?
Should I just have it honed?
how much should I expect it to cost to hone?
how much should I expect it to cost to fully restore?
Is there anyone you recommend?
Can it be done on a college guys budget?

sorry if I ask to many questions this razor has a ton of sentimental value to me and I'm new to the razor restoration thing.

Who should I send it to if I want it honed? Out of curiosity how much is the blade worth in the first place?

Since there is sentimental value....

If you replace the scales, does that decrease the sentiment in your opinion?

How well is the string holding it together?

I don't know if many honers would want to have an issue with that string..

You could buy new plastic scales at maggards shop online for $25 or less and diy....

Custom made scales will be 2-4x the price depending what material and who...

Honing seems to run $25 more or less plus shipping costs... Most stores that sell straights will also sell honing services..

Check the hobbyists, vendors forum for some who hone. Also check http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Honemeister

Forums don't do valuations, but there is likely way more sentimental value than cash value..

Last edited:
To me the actual blade has sentimental value since without it can't do anything, the scales are not holding up well I actually expect them to fall off at any moment. My uncle is currently shipping the blade to me as I bought it off him.

Looks like a good DIY project. Scales can be very simple, select a wood that you like and is fairly moisture resistant, milled to about 1/8" thick. Cut them out - carve, scroll saw, coping saw, whatever you have. Sand to a shape you like. Pin them to the blade, if you don't like it, try it again. The blade has more sentimental value than retail. Doing a rescale yourself will only add to the personal value. Once you have scales you like, send it out to be honed, or learn to hone yourself with a Chinese blade first. DO NOT try to polish or otherwise "restore" the blade, it is in good shape keep it like it is.

I think paying someone else to restore your razor will diminish the value in your eyes. Take your time and think it through.

Looks like a good DIY project. Scales can be very simple, select a wood that you like and is fairly moisture resistant, milled to about 1/8" thick. Cut them out - carve, scroll saw, coping saw, whatever you have. Sand to a shape you like. Pin them to the blade, if you don't like it, try it again. The blade has more sentimental value than retail. Doing a rescale yourself will only add to the personal value. Once you have scales you like, send it out to be honed, or learn to hone yourself with a Chinese blade first. DO NOT try to polish or otherwise "restore" the blade, it is in good shape keep it like it is.

I think paying someone else to restore your razor will diminish the value in your eyes. Take your time and think it through.

Great idea, I haven't thought about it like that before! what type of woods would you suggest and what would you suggest it be sealed with?

I would suggest going at that blade with a 600 1k 2k wet/dry progression. It would be pretty easy to make it shine again. It's not in that bad of shape (except whatever happened to the toe). I would look for a nice set of black horn scales on either the Bay or Etsy. This one could shine with very little effort.

I have ordered some black horn to remake the scales with. Using large paint sticks from home depot I made some different designs I could use as templates.

Trace the outline of the blade on a piece of typing paper. Then sketch a pleasing scale shape over the outline. Cut out the scale sketch. Stick to the stock of your choice. Cut, shape, install, enjoy, repeat.

Hey man. Just started reading your thread. I've done about 12 redtorations with blades in much worse condition. If you want to PM me feel free and I can guide you through the process. I'll even do one of my own and we can just do step by step walking through. Let me know if you're interested.

Hey I recently did my first restoration with horn, here is the end result:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/450886-English-steel-re-scale-and-clean-up?highlight=

But most important that that, was the advise from MyCarver in a previous post I had, there is a "tutorial" on how to work with the horn slate, just scrawl down to the pictures. This helped me tremendously, I hope you will benefit from it as well.
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/447520-How-to-split-a-horn-slate?highlight=

And keep posting your progress and any questions you may have, the gentlemen here love to help.

So after attempting to pin my new handles onto my blade for the 6th time I have failed again after watching many a YouTube videos and reading many forum posts is there anyone out there willing to pin and hone my razor for a reasonable price?

Top Bottom