What's new

Need recommendation on first soap purchase

Tabac: easy to lather, great performance, distinctive scent
Cella: Italian croap, tons of good lather, marzipan scent
Mitchell's Wool Fat: slick, protective, great post-shave skin feel

These should be in every rotation IMHO. I'd be happy if I were forced to use only these 3 soaps.

Under $30 gives you a lot of room.

Cold River Soap Works Select - super - just find your scent
Soap Smooth - pricey, but under $30 and super slick
Shaver Heaven - super cushioning
Stirling - a comparative bargain, especially when they have specials

Mitchell's wool fat. I agree with the sentiment it should be a staple in everyone's rotation. I go the cheap route and only do refill pucks and use my own plastic containers. I won't mention who does not like things on the counter.

One more Vote for Stirling. Their samples are cheap and very generous in size. The soap is easy to learn to lather as well.

La Toja, LEA or Haslinger. Cheap, easy to lather and gives all the protection a beginner need. Then there's Tabac but some find the scent hard to live with. The same goes for Arko's toilet puck smell.

I as going to recommend Tabac and Mitchell's but those are more "water quality" dependent than Arko.

You can build a monster lather with Arko and spring water just as well as Arko and mud.....

proxy.php

That's tough. I started out on modern Williams, which is still my favorite. But I think a good beginners soap would be VDH's Luxury soaps. Though not the greatest performer, very easy to lather, available almost anywhere, and cheap.

I wouldn't start with big amounts or very expensive soaps. Would rather recommend starting with samples or cheaper soaps and deciding what feels better than the other. The guys have already mentioned lots of different soaps to choose but I would also consider a Haslinger and Speick or Latoja sticks. Tabac if not a sample will use all your budget and it will work perfectly but you won't stop on one soap and you will want more and more to try :lol:

This. Don't buy a kilo of cella, like I did. There are too many nice soaps to be married to one.

If you want something widely available in stores, Van der Hagen Deluxe (around $2 USD) or Luxury (around $9 USD) are both pretty decent, but they're kinda the bare minimum as far as cushion, slickness, or post-shave feel goes.

For the next step up from basic drugstore products, Proraso and RazoRock are both reliable, affordable choices, retailing for $10 USD at most.

Haslinger Schafmilch is a wonderful product that usually goes for around $9 USD. It's pretty comparable to Mitchell's Wool Fat, and actually lathers more easily.

Other options include Institut Karite ($14) and Barrister & Mann ($11 for the Latha product line, $15 - 25 for the white label stuff).

Tabac ! Seriously smooth shaves await!

You could check out samplers from artisans like Sterling as well. I grabbed a bunch and a few tins l. Man, That's "Margaritas in the Arctic" is sooooo nice! Lathers well, good protection, nice chill and I can even smell the Teq in there LOL I wouldn't ecommend 'Black Ice unless you want walk around smelling like a licorice twist all day though LOL - it's just too overwhelming.

Last edited:
I'll toss in another vote for Arko. It is super easy to lather and you just won't find a better soap at that price point. TOBS and Mitchell's are also good for the mass produced stuff. As far as artisans go I have used Mike's Natural, Stirling and Barrister & Mann with outstanding results from all three. They also have some really great scents to choose from.

Hey guys I'm looking to grab some shaving soap under $30 (a little flexible on that). It's my first so any recommendations would be appreciated!

Another vote for Arko, I doubt there's a cheaper soap that works as good as it does.

-Stephen

I am new to this but I have to say just because you think you have to buy an expensive soap because it is better think again.

I have 5 soaps so far. I first bought VDH Luxury with all my gear. I just got into DE shaving after electrics, twins and SE razors most of the 30 years I have been shaving. Did try Williams years ago didn't like it because I couldn't get it to lather. Now I know how to lather and have tried Williams again it works decent. The VDH is my go to soap and love it after I melted it down and added some of my original Old Spice cologne and smells great. I tried a practice lather of Arko, no razor, and face didn't like it. The Arko was a throw in when I decided I had to try a somewhat expensive soap so I bought TOBS Pure or Traditional. To keep costs down I bought the refill. Today was my third shave and I have had 3 not so good shaves with it. TOBS refills run about $13, it may work for you but I don't care for it.

This is JMO but if you haven't already done so try and find a soap that works first that doesn't cost part of an arm and then go down the road of trying premium or artisan soaps. Just keep in mind that once you spend a big dollar amount on a soap what do you do with it if it doesn't work.

Top Bottom