What's new

WTB Need razors honed

I'm learning to hone and need some straight razors honed. I can't afford multiple natural finishing stones so I have one shot to learn and buy a stone I'll like. I was advised by the forum to send out multiple razors to be honed on different stones as it's the least expensive way to try multiple edges. So that's what I'm trying to do. I have 5 or 6 ebay beaters for this purpose. Of course I'm willing to pay, but am unfamiliar with the going rates.

If anybody is interested please get back to me with whatever price you feel is fair. Thank you for the consideration.

P.S. I'm also interested in buying a loupe, but this is a lower priority

I think the going rate to hone 5 or 6 razors is about the going rate for modest natural finishing hone. So if you can afford to get them honed and buy a natural, you can afford TWO natural hones.

Were I you (assuming you have at least one razor that someone has put a good edge on for you as a reference), I would practice on that collection of ebay beaters with lapping film (since it's as good as any set of synths and you don't need to keep it flat). Once you get them all shaving well with 1µ film (same as a 12k hone), you will have learned a tonne and are ready to try some naturals. Get two, compare them in depth. Keep your favourite, sell the second for what you paid for it and get another. Repeat. Do that 5 or 6 times and you're left with one natural hone and have probably spent less on shipping than you would have on getting your razors honed and will have learned a lot more in the process.

I think this is better for three main reasons:
  • Different people are better at different stones. Just because you prefer the coticule edge to a JNAT edge when you get them both done by a coticule master doesn't prove that you prefer coticule to JNAT, it just means you prefer that person's coticule edge to their JNAT edge. Whereas doing it yourself you learn which edges you prefer when it's you doing the honing. And also you get a feel for the stone, the experience of each of them is a bit different and you might enjoy the process of using one more than another even if you find the results about the same.
  • Secondly, different stones are different. Each natural hone is a unique object, no two alike---they're naturally formed rocks after all. So just because you like my Thuringian more than my Arkansas doesn't really tell you that you like all Thuringians better than all Arkansas. Whereas when you're comparing them yourself, you are comparing the actual exact item that you're considering keeping.
  • And finally, different razors are different. Some steels respond better to some hones, some razors have subtle geometry issues and so they won't all take an edge as easily. Certainly if you have someone very experienced like Doc226 doing the honing this won't be much of a factor as they'll have the judgement to know when they've gotten the edge they're after, but for example I've honed 67 different razors from bevel set on up and I am not confident that I could use the same stone and put an edge that'll shave the same on all 5 of your razors in one go. I'd have to do a lot of shave testing and touch ups to get them in all to the same place. So you need someone really pro and honest enough to take their time and give you a representative edge from each finisher otherwise you might only learn which of your beater razors takes a good edge more readily.

I think the going rate to hone 5 or 6 razors is about the going rate for modest natural finishing hone. So if you can afford to get them honed and buy a natural, you can afford TWO natural hones.

Were I you (assuming you have at least one razor that someone has put a good edge on for you as a reference), I would practice on that collection of ebay beaters with lapping film (since it's as good as any set of synths and you don't need to keep it flat). Once you get them all shaving well with 1µ film (same as a 12k hone), you will have learned a tonne and are ready to try some naturals. Get two, compare them in depth. Keep your favourite, sell the second for what you paid for it and get another. Repeat. Do that 5 or 6 times and you're left with one natural hone and have probably spent less on shipping than you would have on getting your razors honed and will have learned a lot more in the process.

I think this is better for three main reasons:
  • Different people are better at different stones. Just because you prefer the coticule edge to a JNAT edge when you get them both done by a coticule master doesn't prove that you prefer coticule to JNAT, it just means you prefer that person's coticule edge to their JNAT edge. Whereas doing it yourself you learn which edges you prefer when it's you doing the honing. And also you get a feel for the stone, the experience of each of them is a bit different and you might enjoy the process of using one more than another even if you find the results about the same.
  • Secondly, different stones are different. Each natural hone is a unique object, no two alike---they're naturally formed rocks after all. So just because you like my Thuringian more than my Arkansas doesn't really tell you that you like all Thuringians better than all Arkansas. Whereas when you're comparing them yourself, you are comparing the actual exact item that you're considering keeping.
  • And finally, different razors are different. Some steels respond better to some hones, some razors have subtle geometry issues and so they won't all take an edge as easily. Certainly if you have someone very experienced like Doc226 doing the honing this won't be much of a factor as they'll have the judgement to know when they've gotten the edge they're after, but for example I've honed 67 different razors from bevel set on up and I am not confident that I could use the same stone and put an edge that'll shave the same on all 5 of your razors in one go. I'd have to do a lot of shave testing and touch ups to get them in all to the same place. So you need someone really pro and honest enough to take their time and give you a representative edge from each finisher otherwise you might only learn which of your beater razors takes a good edge more readily.
Thank you so much for your response and talking the time. Valid points all. Perhaps I ought to change gears then. I do like the idea about not having to worry about lapping everything flat... especially in the beginning.

I still need at least one razor honed just so I have a reference for sharp.

There's also a hybrid method. You send the new to you razor out to a pro once, when you buy it. The pro will see and correct the subtle things and slight problems that you might miss. And he'll give you the reference for what a good and sharp edge should be.

After that you have something that is set up right, and you only need to buy one finishing stone. You have avoided buying a progression of stones.

Lots of stones are good finishers. I like the Naniwa 12k, the thick 20mm size. If you have a stone countertop, just place 400 grit sandpaper on it and lap it flat on that.

A lot of guys have cut their chops on a Norton 4k-8k combination stone; I did. Then grabbed a coticule to see what that was all about. After I figured out what was going on, picked up a Naniwa 12K...trip down the rabbit hole began.
Still have the 12K, got a better coticule (which remains my favorite and most versatile stone to this day).
I'd pick up another Norton for old times sake if I could find one at a bargain price.😉

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
If you only have one shot at it, t’s best to avoid naturals IMO, at least coticules and Jnats. The chances of getting an excellent razor hone (compared to some other coticules and Jnats) is low. You’d have a much better chance with a Thuringian or an Arkansas, but you still need a full synth progression, or most of it, before those.

I’d advise a Naniwa 10k or 12k and follow that with a pasted strop if you need more ‘oomph’ in your edge. Tried, true, and relatively cheap. I have a frugal friend here in town that’s using a 10mm thick Naniwa 10k, and he’s happy with his edges. His finisher criterion was that it cost less than $50. He has some pastes, but IDK if he’s currently using them. I also have a N10k though 20mm thick, and it makes a fine edge.

Top Bottom