What's new

Need Razor Burn advice/Help

So I've finally gotten to the point where I seldom nick or cut myself. I shave daily. On my neck area, I can't seem to get away from razor burn, I have decent post shave burn products, I use an Alum block, and alcohol free witch hazel and mostly alcohol free post shave balms. So here's my question: Has anyone found anything to prevent razor burn? I'd love to hear from someone who can say 'I used to get razor burn all the time but no more since (insert product, shave technique, razor or blade <disclaimer, I am a supply co 2.0 user>). If it comes down to shaving on alternate days, I may have to accept that.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I use to get razor burn all the time but no more since I started to use a SR and perfected my technique.

Has anyone found anything to prevent razor burn? If it comes down to shaving on alternate days, I may have to accept that.
Razor burn is irritation of the skin and usually points to a technique problem. A good lather and preparation will greatly assist in allowing the razor blade to glide over the skin. Repeated strokes over the same area without re-lathering, often demonstrated in videos, will very likely exacerbate the problem. Keep a minimum of overlap between strokes, another bad habit often demonstrated.
I would look at pressure and blade angle at the main cause but also choosing a blade you get good results with will help. I don't use a Supply 2.0 razor so cannot comment on what blades are available for that razor.
Most importantly, don't chase BBS as that will lead to over shaving and hence skin irritation. Sometimes you have to accept DFS which will still be better than a cartridge razor finish.

Great advice from @Invicta. Take your time, you'll develop the muscle memory for good technique but you first have to practice at getting good technique. You'll get there. So the best thing for now...practice & enjoy the journey!

Well, and two other things.

1.) You will never get your neck as smooth as your cheeks because the skin is loose and the hair grows in so many directions. You will eventually figure out what works under your chin and on your neck. But it will never feel smooth as your cheeks.

2.) Don't Chase. The temptation is to chase and chase and chase under your chin because... well, because of (see above in #1)

Enjoy, let it happen, let muscle memory kick in. Sorry - no quick fixes on this one. It's kind of like a golf swing. Eventually you relax and start banging them off the tee and wonder why something that natural feeling didn't feel natural for so long. But unlike golfing, you can take a couple months off shaving and not wind up digging and topping for your first couple of holes. Maybe shaving is more like riding a bike... or maybe I'm just not very good with analogies ;-)

Some things for you to try.

Less pressure - I know you probably don't think you're using pressure but if you weren't, you probably wouldn't be getting razor burn. It took me a long time to figure out what no pressure really feels like.

No second swipes - this one's tough but once you've gone over an area, don't do it again until you've relathered. Once you figure out how to shave with no pressure, you can break this rule a bit but until then make your pass and move on.

Better soap - not sure what you're using but a really top notch soap will help if what you're using isn't as good.

If you don't need a BBS shave, try just doing one-pass shaves for a few days. It might cut down on the irritation. Once you can get an irritation free one-pass shave, then try for an irritation free two-pass shave.

Don't rely on after shave treatment - the best way to help razor burn is to avoid it in the first place. A good splash or balm isn't bad. I use them and enjoy them but if you're getting irritation they honestly don't help that much.

Razor burn is irritation of the skin and usually points to a technique problem. A good lather and preparation will greatly assist in allowing the razor blade to glide over the skin. Repeated strokes over the same area without re-lathering, often demonstrated in videos, will very likely exacerbate the problem. Keep a minimum of overlap between strokes, another bad habit often demonstrated.
I would look at pressure and blade angle at the main cause but also choosing a blade you get good results with will help. I don't use a Supply 2.0 razor so cannot comment on what blades are available for that razor.
Most importantly, don't chase BBS as that will lead to over shaving and hence skin irritation. Sometimes you have to accept DFS which will still be better than a cartridge razor finish.

+1! Excellent advice!

You might also consider ‘mapping your beard’ to understand hair growth in the problem areas and precisely what your are doing with each pass.

So I've finally gotten to the point where I seldom nick or cut myself. I shave daily. On my neck area, I can't seem to get away from razor burn, I have decent post shave burn products, I use an Alum block, and alcohol free witch hazel and mostly alcohol free post shave balms. So here's my question: Has anyone found anything to prevent razor burn? I'd love to hear from someone who can say 'I used to get razor burn all the time but no more since (insert product, shave technique, razor or blade <disclaimer, I am a supply co 2.0 user>). If it comes down to shaving on alternate days, I may have to accept that.

I used to get razor burn/ingrowns/bumps on my neck all the time. Never could shave every day. Too painful. Could pull off 2 day shaves with A LOT of care. But after 6 days of shaving every 2 days I needed to stop and rest for almost a week to heal.

That stopped when I got Rockwell 6S. I can use most blades in it and pull off 2 day shaves as along as I want. I'm sure I could do every day shave with some care.
I also added Old Spice AS (alcohol) to my post shave routine and I admit it helps GREATLY. Now my post shave is: alum (wait about a minute to get absorbed) then rinse and pat dry. Apply Nivea balm lightly, when it gets absorbed I splash the Spice.

Also no need to do 3 pass shave every day. ATG is unnecesarry it just hurts your skin. You need 1 WTG everyday and be presentable. Or 1 WTG and 1 XTG if you must.

I will not reffer the blades I use since this is verry verry verry YMMW

Also TEHNIQUE! Nothing prevents razor burn like TEHNIQUE

I'd just like to add that all advice here was verry sound but sometimes it is not the user. Sometimes trully is the gear.
I stuck with EJ89DL for years, suffering when I had to shave more often than every 3 days and telling myself "it's you, it's your tehnique, your bad skin,..."
Then I got Rockwell and after initial period of adjusting to new razor and finding blade combo everything changed as written above.

Top Bottom