What's new

Need quick Christmas gift help!

Hey, fellas. Here's the low-down. I want to buy a shaving brush and a soap/cream for a couple of guys in the family for Christmas. I currently work as a volunteer, so $$ is certainly a concern. Besides, they are both newbies. One of them wants to get into straight razors, and the other is my Dad, who currently shaves with an electric. I have no idea why, but I intend to convert him.

I need a brush for about $15-$20. That will leave me with enough cash to get them each a shaving stick (most likely what I'll choose instead of creams/soaps so I can avoid the mug issue) to go along with it.

I have narrowed to about 3 choices.

1. Omega boar brush ($10, roughly)
2. Tweezerman badger ($15)
3. Spending more and buying a Vulfix 1000 and leaving out the soaps. ($25 at vintage blades)

What do you guys think I should do? I have to mail order since I live in the middle of nowhere :rolleyes:, so I need to make a decision before the end of the week, preferably today. Is the Tweezerman better than a good boar brush? I've read reviews on both, and I'm a little worried that a smelly boar brush that pricks might drive my dad away from wet shaving. The only brush I've used is a Vulfix 660 super badger from Lee's. I love it emphatically, but I can't spend that much on gifts this year.

Your dad uses electric and you intend to convert. Best of Luck!

Tweezerman or Omega are good choices. I would get them some tabac or poraso too.

Happy Holidays

Anybody know right off hand of an online vendor that sells the Tweezerman and Tabac? (Cut down on shipping) Also, I don't know much about VDH soaps, but I could go that way, too. I've heard about them, just not as much as Tabac.

+1 Honestly, if it's working for him why bother? it's not like he's using a Mach3.

Because I know he'd enjoy it if he'd give it a try, even if only on weekends when he doesn't have work and it's easier for him to make time. My dad needs something like this. He and my mom divorced about 7 years ago, and he remarried to a lady with young (9 and 6 yrs old) kids. This after me and my siblings all were old enough to move out. He needs something he can claim as 'his', a hobby, a time for himself. This is a relatively inexpensive, masculine hobby that I think he'd enjoy. If not, then it's a risk I'm willing to take.

I actually bought a son-in-law a silvertip, kinda VERY NICE brush for $13. on ebay. It came from China and I was kinda worried but its been great for over 9 months. Theres a ton of them there-
Just a thought

Just throwing this out there for something different. Jaguar shave brushes and Arko shave sticks. On Amazon through Derby International Jaguar Brushes are under $10 and Arko shave sticks are $0.99 each.

Or if you can find the Omega Boar brush and Shave soap/cream combo for about $16-$20
http://www.amazon.com/Omega-Bristle...r_1_108?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1259878097&sr=1-108

Shoebox Shaving has some Boreal boar brushes on clearance and has a great selection of creams/soaps and such as well. Brushes even come in 5 different color combos. Good vendor too. OO and you could do a Taylor of Old Bond Street samples that way as well! That way the person has some choices and doesn't get stuck with something that they might not like.
http://www.shoeboxshaveshop.com/bo3bobaboonb.html

Last edited:
Good advice, guys. I was actually just looking around Amazon, myself. I found the Tweezerman brush for $12 and Spiek shave sticks for $5. I haven't used Spiek. Is that a decent beginner soap?

How about the VDH starter kit that comes with soap, brush, and bowl for less than 8 bucks at Wally? The soap is fine; is the brush too crappy or something?

I feel pretty confident in that Tweezerman brush after talking with you guys. How about Tabac cream? Is it as good as the Tabac soap?

How about the VDH starter kit that comes with soap, brush, and bowl for less than 8 bucks at Wally? The soap is fine; is the brush too crappy or something?

Don't know anything about it. Anyone know anything about that brush? Is it boar or synthetic?

The tweezerman and speick sounded like a great combo.

I hate to get too involved in a soap/cream discussion in the brush section, but would most of you here think the Speick shave stick would be a better choice than Tabac cream?

I hate to get too involved in a soap/cream discussion in the brush section, but would most of you here think the Speick shave stick would be a better choice than Tabac cream?

I've never used Tabac cream, but I personally would stick to the soap.

I feel pretty confident in that Tweezerman brush after talking with you guys.

Don't know anything about it. Anyone know anything about that brush? Is it boar or synthetic?

I have the VDh kit, and am a big fan of VDH products. The brush is a boar brush, and performs very well, IMHO. Of course, I have not tried any of the higher end brushes, so I don't have much to compare it to. However, if performs well enough that I am 100% satisfied with it. The VDH soap is good stuff, I think. VDh is a good starter kit if you are wanting to get someone hooked.

Tweezerman sounds like a good brush, so does the Omega. If I were in the market for a new boar brush, I would choose one of those.

I have the VDh kit, and am a big fan of VDH products. The brush is a boar brush, and performs very well, IMHO. Of course, I have not tried any of the higher end brushes, so I don't have much to compare it to. However, if performs well enough that I am 100% satisfied with it. The VDH soap is good stuff, I think. VDh is a good starter kit if you are wanting to get someone hooked.

Tweezerman sounds like a good brush, so does the Omega. If I were in the market for a new boar brush, I would choose one of those.

The Tweezerman is actually a badger brush, which is why I was leaning that direction. I just found that VDH kit on Amazon for 8 bucks, though. That price is hard to argue with.

Another option I found is a Vulfix boar brush on Classic shaving ($9) and a tube of TOBS ($12). Anyone have experience with Vulfix boar brushes, or would y'all go with the Tweezerman badger brush?

The Tweezerman is actually a badger brush, which is why I was leaning that direction. I just found that VDH kit on Amazon for 8 bucks, though. That price is hard to argue with.

I knew Tweezer made a boar, that was why I threw it into the boar talk. Yes, the VDH kits are a good price.

I feel pretty confident in that Tweezerman brush after talking with you guys. How about Tabac cream? Is it as good as the Tabac soap?

The Tweezerman brush isn't bad, but maybe it's just me but for the money it's hard to beat a good boar brush. As for Tabac, stick with the soap.

It's a boar brush and a horrid one at that. It works, but sheds like dog. If you go with boar, go with an Omega. They're inexpensive but very well made.

Yes, I haven't used the Speick stick yet, but if it's anything like the cream it's better than Tabac cream.

Top Bottom