What's new

Need pipe & tobacco suggestion

Greetings Gents!

I have been a cigar collector and smoker for a while (5+ years) and have always enjoyed the smell of a pipe and my grandfater always use to smoke one.

So, I think I have decided to give it a try --- My questions are these:

I prefer the look of a bent pipe (any suggestions)? For quality prodicts.

What about the pipe materials?

How about some Pipe tobacco brands - want good stuff, not CVS bulk bagged crap. (Suggestions)? Maybe great tasting rich non-flavord tobacco.

Hoping Jim will chime in on this one, beacue I know he a cigar lover too...

Thanks in advance for the help.

Hi Jason,

I'm smoking a nice Cavicchi billiard as I type, I'll try to assist you on your pipe and tobacco quest. My modest 9 pipe collection consists of Cavicchi (handmade Italian) Peterson (Irish) and Dunhill (English) and although I'm biased they are highly recommended. If you have a local tobacconist give them a try otherwise I suggest you give Skip Elliot at the Briary a call he's a wonderful guy and will take the time to answerer all your questionsThe briary
As far as tobacco I myself do not like flavored (aromatic) tobacco, I tend to like the more robust blends containing Virginia, Perique, and Latikia.
I highly recommend GL Pease GL Pease
also recommended are Samuel Gawith and McClelland Pipe Tobacco's
Take your time and do your research for there is much to learn about this wonderful pastime. Feel free to pm or e-mail me with any questions you may have, I'm happy to help. Dan

Jason

I would say the Pease that Jimmy recommended may be a good start.

Pm me your address I have a pipe for you to start with and I will send along some baccy for you to try as well.

One of the pleasures in pipe smoking is how wonderful the pipes are made and how beautiful the materials and craftsmanship come together, To get a great smoking experience you do not need a 125.00 pipe especialy when first starting out.

Jason

I would say the Pease that Jimmy recommended may be a good start.

Pm me your address I have a pipe for you to start with and I will send along some baccy for you to try as well.

One of the pleasures in pipe smoking is how wonderful the pipes are made and how beautiful the materials and craftsmanship come together, To get a great smoking experience you do not need a 125.00 pipe especialy when first starting out.

Jim you had me speechless!

Thanks again! - I agree about the craftsmanship I have seen in a lot of the different pics, works of art!

:thumbsup: Congratulations! I preferred the traditional shapes but a good pipe is a good pipe regardless. Dunhill was my preferred brand but the Hotel Allis in Wichita, KS had a pipemaker in their pipeshop whose pipes were the equal of any I have owned or seen.

A bent stem is nice if you only put the pipe in your mouth to draw on it but a straight stem is easier to clean. Peterson pipes are excellent.

I agree that aromatics (perfumed, flavored) tobaccos are usually best avoided. A good tobacconist will be very helpful in directing you toward the blend you will prefer. I rate taste, coolness, aroma as the most important elements in selection/preference.

Long may your pipe smoke.

Richard

So I go out to my mail today, and there is a package there waiting for me....

Get it inside and open it up and I am FLOORED :ohmy: :a47:

In this box is a beautiful Peterson's bent pipe and enough "samples" of tobacco to last til the holidays!

So I head out to the deck (beautiful day out here on the cape) and sit down with some Frog Morton in the pipe and give it a go!

Jim, I'm afraid you have opened the doors to a new "hobby" -- oh and payback will be had at some point! :c6:

Jason,

Welcome to the club. Sounds like Jim set you up very nicely, I've always found petersons' to be a wonderful pipe. The petersons' I have all smoke amazingly well, and there's quite a bit of history behind them. I'm not sure if anyone else has recommended this site, lots of useful info The Professor's Pipe Page Again feel free to ask questions, always glad to help,

Dan

I have been smoking a pipe for about ten years and you will find more opinions on pipes and tobacco then shaving products. I smoke Peretti's tobacco, I love their burleys and the way they cube cut the tobacco for easy loading.

A great place to read posts is a tobacco review page: www.tobaccoreviews.com

Many places sell 2 oz samples and are a great way to try different tobacco blends. You will find that one persons favorite tobacco will taste bad to you, keep trying to find one that suits you.

I smoke aromatic and non aromatic and enjoy both. As for pipes you won't have to spend big money when you start out, as others stated a tobacco shop will help to get started.

Bob

PS: I see your in Cape Cod, Peretti's is in Boston and is one of the best tobacco shops to visit.

F

FuzzBuster

I would suggest a great tobacconist at www.cornellanddiehl.com.
Craig and Patty Tarler have an incredible amount of bulk and tinned original blends which you can purchase in samplers. Aromatics, English, Burleys, Virginias etc.
To inexpensively add pipes to your rotation (your pipes should "rest" between smokes) try a couple of "missouri meerschaum" corncob pipes. They are inexpensive, traditional and impart a slightly sweet taste to the tobacco from the naturally occuring sugars in the cob.
Steve

Top Bottom