What's new

NEED MY TURKISH COFFEE POTS RETINNED

My beloved coffee has become bitter, traced the problem to my ibriks ( jezve / cesve ) .... Never really thought about it, but I probably have close to 100 batches on the 3 cup ( Espresso size " cups " ) and maybe 70 on the single cup, which also shows signs of detinning...This is , of course , normal.... Anyone know where I can get them retinned at a reasonable price ?? ...The alternative is to toss them in the recycling bin and invest in a pure silver lined pot, which comes with free resilvering service once per year : C2 Cezve / Turkish Coffee Pot - https://soy-turkiye.myshopify.com/products/cezve-turkish-coffee-pot-soy-c2-serves-2?variant=28262291723

They are narrow so this might be difficult.

My hat is tipped to this guy. Way too much for my 2 little pots, and the narrow necks that help produce the beautiful " crema " may be a problem. I don't like playing around with caustic chemicals either. Must saythough , if you have a big collection of pots this may be the way to go, copper pots are expensive.

All of my copper is at least 40 years old. Bought when I was thinking about going to the CIA in upstate NY. All have hand applied tin. I can still see the rag swirls in them after all these years.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Mick..... aren't the dark areas the copper revealing itself ?? .... Isn't cooking on raw copper poisonous ??

Just stain from use. I use the large saute for sauce bases.

I could rub a lemon on the tin and it would shine back up.

Well Mick...you gave me the answer.... Were the "copper " stains in my pots really copper bleed through ???.. A nice , gentle polishing with powdered Barkeeper's Friend revealed the truth, just dam coffee stains !...Came out like new !...Thanks Mick !
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0004.JPG
IMG_0005.JPG
IMG_0006.JPG
IMG_0008.JPG

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Well Mick...you gave me the answer.... Were the "copper " stains in my pots really copper bleed through ???.. A nice , gentle polishing with powdered Barkeeper's Friend revealed the truth, just dam coffee stains !...Came out like new !...Thanks Mick !

I'm very glad to hear that's all it was. It didn't make sense that 70-100 batches would take the tin off your pots. I didn't know if you had lousy ibriks or were putting some pretty funky stuff in there! :eek2: :lol:

I'm very glad to hear that's all it was. It didn't make sense that 70-100 batches would take the tin off your pots. I didn't know if you had lousy ibriks or were putting some pretty funky stuff in there! :eek2: :lol:

This stuff destroys coffee stains without wiping. Pour in hot water add powder, stir, wait, pour out.

proxy.php

and I was thinking about just how strong my coffee is !!

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
@malocchio, I wouldn't think that Cafiza would be a good idea for your grinder--that rice sounds like it should do the trick. I use Cafiza for cleaning my roaster and a few other things that I don't want dish soap on (such as wine decanters, wine glasses, demitasse cups for drinking espresso, coffee mugs, etc.) I just fill up one chamber of my sink (or a large pot if I don't want to occupy half the sink), add some of the powder (I'm afraid I don't really measure, but it's somewhere in the range of a tablespoon or two), and let the parts soak in there for a while. Rinsing with the sprayer usually gets everything spic & span, but I may need a little wiping (hardly scrubbing) for the very stubborn bits depending on how strong I make the solution and how long I let everything soak.

I would bet that your ibriks would clean up beautifully with a relatively short soak and, maybe, a quick wipe.

For something I don't want rattling around in a soaking pot (like the Riedel wine glasses), I pretty much dip them in there, wipe with a clean towel, rinse, and dry.

I'm also sure you don't need to use as much Cafiza as I do. In fact, I know that I don't need to use as much as I do. I just get carried away.

@malocchio, I wouldn't think that Cafiza would be a good idea for your grinder--that rice sounds like it should do the trick. I use Cafiza for cleaning my roaster and a few other things that I don't want dish soap on (such as wine decanters, wine glasses, demitasse cups for drinking espresso, coffee mugs, etc.) I just fill up one chamber of my sink (or a large pot if I don't want to occupy half the sink), add some of the powder (I'm afraid I don't really measure, but it's somewhere in the range of a tablespoon or two), and let the parts soak in there for a while. Rinsing with the sprayer usually gets everything spic & span, but I may need a little wiping (hardly scrubbing) for the very stubborn bits depending on how strong I make the solution and how long I let everything soak.

I would bet that your ibriks would clean up beautifully with a relatively short soak and, maybe, a quick wipe.

For something I don't want rattling around in a soaking pot (like the Riedel wine glasses), I pretty much dip them in there, wipe with a clean towel, rinse, and dry.

I'm also sure you don't need to use as much Cafiza as I do. In fact, I know that I don't need to use as much as I do. I just get carried away.
Good adivce... I had been using baking soda, vinegar , mild soap, but the Barkeeper's Friend also comes in a liquid , even less abrasive, I may try that one for the ibriks...The Minute rice is probably the safest for cleaning unreachable conical metal burrs.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Think I have Cafiza, but in pill form.

It gets the espresso machine double boiler super clean - oils and stuff rise up out ...

AA

Top Bottom