What's new

Need More Tea!

Never throw out your 4 oz tea tins from harney or others, as you buy bulk you have a place to put it.
Can always use painters tape on the tin and write down what is in it. rinse and repeat for the next one.

10yrs old & 8 mins of looking at a jumper but covers the basic method of brewing all the tea in China:

This covers about 90% of my caffeine intake since ~2006.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I have a a purple clay yijing teapot I picked up at a thrift store that I use for oolong, but never really bothered to get a gaiwan. That's a little too fussy for my tastes to have an item like that.

Oddly, I find my yixing pots more "fussy" than my gaiwan! With the yixing pots, I need to remember which tea goes in which pot, whereas with the (glazed) gaiwan I can just switch from one tea to the next with no concern. Also, getting the dry leaves in, and the used leaves out, of the gaiwan is a lot easier.

But I do enjoy both. Glad you found one you like!

Oddly, I find my yixing pots more "fussy" than my gaiwan! With the yixing pots, I need to remember which tea goes in which pot, whereas with the (glazed) gaiwan I can just switch from one tea to the next with no concern. Also, getting the dry leaves in, and the used leaves out, of the gaiwan is a lot easier.

But I do enjoy both. Glad you found one you like!

Well, I just drink one type of Oolong, Tai Guanyin, so it's easy to dedicate one pot to it.

Should you ever get the chance, try the Gorreana Orange Pekoe from the Azores, Portugal. The only tea grown in Europe!

Lapsang Souchong (Lapsang souchong - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lapsang_souchong) Smoked tea. It is not really a black tea, but it is very similar with a smokey smell and taste. It does not really become bitter even when brewed for a longer time.
Matcha (Matcha - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matcha) It is IMHO the espresso among the teas. Finely powdered green tea. It is the most expensive tea I know. I have seen up to $70 for one ounce. There is special equipment for making matcha tea, i.e. a bowl, a bamboo whisk and a bamboo spoon.
For those who enjoy and/or are trying to cut back on certain beverages and dried leaves in favor or tea, lapsang souchong is a fantastic recommendation.

In Centennial, Michener's character described it as "a man's tea, deep and subtle and blended in some rugged place, ... better even than whisky."

It was supposed to be Jean-Luc Picard's tea, but because it is so little known they changed it to Earl Grey.

Nearly all people who I know think it smells awful, like a bag of tabac, even the smokers. But IMHO it does not smell like tabac. More like smoked meat.

It was supposed to be Jean-Luc Picard's tea, but because it is so little known they changed it to Earl Grey.

Nearly all people who I know think it smells awful, like a bag of tabac, even the smokers. But IMHO it does not smell like tabac. More like smoked meat.
I remember reading that fact once and thinking that no Captain should confine themselves to just one or the other!

I second your instinct--somewhere between smoked brisket and the remnants of tending a fire when you shower the next morning. Depends on the blend, I suppose.

For those who enjoy and/or are trying to cut back on certain beverages and dried leaves in favor or tea, lapsang souchong is a fantastic recommendation.

In Centennial, Michener's character described it as "a man's tea, deep and subtle and blended in some rugged place, ... better even than whisky."
If you like to drink black tea then try black dragon pearl, sweet, smooth and wonderful in flavour.

Lapsang souchong can be lovely but there is a lot of flavoured stuff out there that is quite unpleasant. One of the nicest teas I've ever tasted was a jin jun mei which is a sort of fancy lapsang souchong.

LOOSE LEAF TEAS of course!

Sippin' on some Lychee Black Tea at the moment. Very strong Floral flavor but each brand varies.

Recently picked up some ch3eaper Pur'ah Tea that comes in a brick or small pressed discs. Very cool presentation, inexpensive, several varities to sample, concentrated for many extractions (4-5 cups each). The flavor is not for everyone so you have to experiement and see what flavors you prefer.

I have a few mini puerh cakes, the 'sticky rice' ones have been going down well with guests. They have a tiny amount of some local yunnan herb mixed in with the tea that gives it a kinda sticky rice taste.

Lots of suggestion here so only thing I will recommend is that you get a good electric tea kettle. As you try different tea, water temperature becomes very important. This way you could get exact temp with a switch ....be careful of this hobby, it could become a hoarding disorder :) I have two shelves full of different teas

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
....be careful of this hobby, it could become a hoarding disorder :) I have two shelves full of different teas
Do you drink the tea on your shelves? If so, it is not a disorder! If anyone tells you otherwise you don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Well, he is just preparing for the inevitable scenario of someone one day telling him that the person wouldn't do a certain thing "for all the tea in China". He can respond with "oh yeah? Well ..." and open the cupboard doors.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
When I was young & single and living in Manhattan I'd spend half my salary on teas & coffees from McNulty's in Greenwich Village. Nowadays with 2 kids in college a box of Barry's or Yorkshire Gold is as posh as it ever gets.

Reactions: Avi
Top Bottom