What's new

Need more agression

Hi, so I have been shaving with the long handled Weishi for about 8 months, Astra blades. I have found it great to get me started on DE shaving, but the only way I have been getting a close enough shave with it is if I unscrew it sufficiently - I now shave with it practically loose.

I am getting lovely shaves from it, but being unscrewed means I never know exactly how agressive it is and, when it is so far unscrewed that it is actually loose, it can be a bit of a menace.

I am thinking of moving to a more agressive razor (and maybe getting some Feather blades), and was wondering what people think might work for me. Would a slant or adjustable be a good way forwards or should I just go for an open comb?

I have a dark beard (where the snow hasn't yet settled...) but don't think it is particularly thick, and have no idea how sensitive my skin is (razor burn seems to have come from not being careful enough and / or too many passes).

Ideally, I'd love to get bbs on a single or double pass...

Ideally, I'd love to get bbs on a single or double pass...

Sorry,there is absolutely no way to do this.

Gradual reduction and WTG,ATG, XTG (sometimes in both directions left to right and right to left) passes are a must for a BBS shave....MUCH more important than a more aggressive razor.

Sounds like you might want to get an adjustable razor. There are sever vintage Gillette adjustable razors that can be found at a decent price and give great shaves. The most popular is the Fat Boy but the Slim is also quite good. Fat Boys can get expensive so the Slim and Black beauty might be a better place to start.

I am thinking of moving to a more agressive razor (and maybe getting some Feather blades), and was wondering what people think might work for me. Would a slant or adjustable be a good way forwards or should I just go for an open comb?
Have you tried a shim in the Weishi? I would think a Gillette Slim Adjustable, Merkur Progress or Parker Variant may be a good upgrade.
A few get BBS in 2 passes but most need more passes.

Maggard v3 would be a world of difference in terms of aggressiveness. I use the Maggard when I wanna step up from the Muhle R89/ej89. People wanna call the v3 a knockoff 89 head which I assure you it is not. Order the v3 with one of their heavier handles and a blade such as an Astra for starters.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Need more aggression?

I can arrange a date with Doc4 for you.

IMG_20170801_065018.jpg

I use a Slim adjustable and change settings between passes. I go more aggressive for the first and milder for the second.

This way, I definitely can get BBS in 2 passes. If my first WTG pass is close enough, I can just go ATG and I'm good to go!

+1 on R41. I really like mine. Does a good job with Astra blades which you are already using. I find the more aggressive razors for me need the sharper blades to handle my beard.
That or Merkur Progress Long handle. I love both. The progress might help you to dial in to your perfect zone. Both I find very smooth and easy to use.
I have the Icon Shavecraft Tech as well. I find it not any more efficient than the R41 but takes more care to use.
No matter what you will still need to do multiple passes for BBS. If you try and go ATG on your first pass you will probably get a lot of irritation. I combine aggressive razors or straights with a 2 pass shave for CCS results and no irritation.
Let us know what you decide and how it works for you.

Ikon Tech or R41. I find the Tech to be smoother and easier under the nose. I shave daily and when late I can do 1 pass against the grain and get a DFS.

I agree with the idea of using an adjustable razor. I recommend the Slim.

If you want to stay away from the TTO/Butterfly style, then a Rockwell 6S or 6C.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
There is just the razor you want for sale on the Bay. It is a fat handle Gillette New or Tech. Since there is no base plate just a handle, vintage blade and top cap I am not sure of the model. It's only $90 + shipping.

I would also recommend the R41. It is aggressive, but you get the hang of it quickly. I had a few weepers on the first couple of go 'rounds, but now I don't get any nicks at all. This is a very efficient razor. I get a BBS with two passes (WTG and ATG) every time, and the BBS stays will me ALL day.

Top Bottom