What's new

Need more agression

BBS shave with an R41, Charcoal Level 3 OC, Timeless .95 OC, GEM MMOC or a vintage NEW deluxe OC with no trouble and sometimes if I use a short stroke beard reduction mapped out technique I'll end up with a BBS shave in only 1 pass.

I agree with the previous posters about R41. If you really want an aggressive razor, R41 is maybe the best option for you.

Another vote for an adjustable.

However, I doubt that you will be able to get BBS with a single pass.

Thank you all for your input. So, I took a few of your suggestions, tried a few things, and the results are in.

Firstly, because the Weishi is a butterfly design, I couldn't see how to make a shim for it, so I took a rubber band and wrapped it round the twisty bit, effectively making it adjustable because it would at least stick at the looseness I wanted. This worked well.

Then, I treated myself to a Muhle R41. However, unfortunately I found it a LOT less agressive than my rubber banded Weishi. Much prettier, but I couldn't even get a very close shave let alone in as few passes as with the Weishi.

I then saw a post here about putting a shim into it by snapping off about 3mm or 4mm of an old Astra razor blade's bladed edges. Better, but still not up to much.

So I then bought some Feather razor blades. This made things worse, because, as the R41 required several passes, I managed to get razor rash, but not even a particularly close shave.

As such, sadly I have had to send the R41 back. However, there has been a beautiful silver lining out of this.
With my Weishi, using the old blade shim has made the razor more aggressive when loosened, and using Feather razors in it as well, I am getting an even closer shave than ever, and in only one or two passes - which has the added benefit of being really fast!
(Also, the Astra blade's edges are numbered 1-4, so I can tell which blade I have got to with the Feather, very useful!)

So, my inexpensive Weishi, a rubber band, a shim (I may end up having one on both sides), and Feather blades is giving me a superb shave. Highly recommend!

Razorock Wunderbar gives me a BBS shave in two passes. You might want to give it a shot if you’re into slants. I prefer it over the R41 (smoother). The price isn’t too bad, especially considering it’s 316 SS.

I just ordered a Charcoal Goods Level 3 today. I’ve heard great things about this razor. Can’t wait to try it!

An adjustable is the solution.

And there is no substitute for a Merkur Progress.

Merkur has been making them since 1955. They are perfected to say the least.

Top Bottom