What's new

Need list of all Single Edge Razors

To me, making fully separate pages for the Ever-Ready 1912 from the GEM 1912, the Star 1912, etc. would be a bit silly. They're all effectively the same razor made by the same company just marketed under different brands. There's more variation within the GEM brand -- with the low-profile head vs. the standard one, for example -- than there is between the 1912s under the Ever-Ready or Star labels.

On the other hand, if what you're looking to do here is create something more like an index, where the 1912 links under each brand all point to the same page then that's probably fine. It's primarily the various ASR brands that we're going to have this problem with, but there are others.

For example, I'm 99.9% sure that the razor we've got listed as the "Stoll Chrome Steel" by the Wilbert Cutlery Co. was actually just a white label job of the "Star Cru-Steel" razor made by Kampfe Bros., which our list appears to be missing. (See mine below.) Same with the Hero Safety Razor, which our list also appears to be missing. It was Richard Kampfe who held the April 14, 1914 patent, so it's most likely that they were the actual manufacturer. Of course, they could have also licensed the patent out, but the fact that the razors are so incredibly similar probably makes that less likely.

proxy.php

proxy.php

The Enders Speed razor did not take a DE blade. It took a proprietary blade. They are all but useless today, unless you can find some NOS blades.

To me, making fully separate pages for the Ever-Ready 1912 from the GEM 1912, the Star 1912, etc. would be a bit silly. They're all effectively the same razor made by the same company just marketed under different brands. There's more variation within the GEM brand -- with the low-profile head vs. the standard one, for example -- than there is between the 1912s under the Ever-Ready or Star labels.

On the other hand, if what you're looking to do here is create something more like an index, where the 1912 links under each brand all point to the same page then that's probably fine. It's primarily the various ASR brands that we're going to have this problem with, but there are others.

For example, I'm 99.9% sure that the razor we've got listed as the "Stoll Chrome Steel" by the Wilbert Cutlery Co. was actually just a white label job of the "Star Cru-Steel" razor made by Kampfe Bros., which our list appears to be missing. (See mine below.) Same with the Hero Safety Razor, which our list also appears to be missing. It was Richard Kampfe who held the April 14, 1914 patent, so it's most likely that they were the actual manufacturer. Of course, they could have also licensed the patent out, but the fact that the razors are so incredibly similar probably makes that less likely.
Porter, I think you may have a good option, can u post a concept on how it would look?

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
The list that I am suggesting is doing what Porter mentioned

i.e. the link 1912 under GEM is linking to the same page than the link 1912 for Ever Ready. In the 1912 page, we need to document the section clearly that the 1912 model means XY and Z.

The list that I am suggesting is doing what Porter mentioned

i.e. the link 1912 under GEM is linking to the same page than the link 1912 for Ever Ready. In the 1912 page, we need to document the section clearly that the 1912 model means XY and Z.

That sounds great, can you post a sample look?

Luc

Staff member
I think more like

• Gem
  • Ever Ready
  • etc
    • etc1
    • etc2
    • etc3

Post 37 is the sample.

It shows that the front bit will be listing everything in detail but to go to the back, you will end up on the same page many times. That way, If I'm looking for my Ever Ready, I end up on the same 1912 page than all other 1912, it's just the front. I will add the GEM and Ever Ready (and other) categories to it so when you looks at the Ever Ready Razor Category, bam, you see the 1912 in there like in the GEM Razor Category. If that makes sense.

Post 37 is the sample.

It shows that the front bit will be listing everything in detail but to go to the back, you will end up on the same page many times. That way, If I'm looking for my Ever Ready, I end up on the same 1912 page than all other 1912, it's just the front. I will add the GEM and Ever Ready (and other) categories to it so when you looks at the Ever Ready Razor Category, bam, you see the 1912 in there like in the GEM Razor Category. If that makes sense.
This will be awesome, its a much needed wiki page.

Luc

Staff member
I think you may be underestimating the number of variations there were to the Star over the years. I doubt that we want to list all of them at the top level, but it would probably be good to break them out into what I think were their three major families: the original Star (fixed frame), the Improved Star (hinged blade bed), and the New Model Star (open-front models with hinged back). I've added those to the list below:

updated list going in wiki here: http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Single_Edge_Safety_Razor_Database

Top Bottom