What's new

Need list of all Single Edge Razors

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
So that I understand right, the Ever Ready Streamline, Ever Ready Jewel and GEM Jewel are all the same razor?

Luc

Staff member
Updated List

The Perret to Kampfe seems to be missing in action (http://web.archive.org/web/201307251...mpfe-rev2.html)

Good information here: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthr...Ready-Rotation
Timeline: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthr...uru-s-Timeline

Last edited:

Luc

Staff member
Okay, things like

New GEM (or GEM NEW?) It depends on year , 1901 New GEM models -Case #11, case#2, #10,#12,#7,- GEM Outfit model, -GEM in Tin box 1901.
1905 The New GEM [case #12]
1907 GEM JR-1906 GEM JR Elite- 1907 GEM JR BAR- 1911 GEM JR-
1911-12 GEM De Luxe- 1811-12 GEM Daskeene Blade/1912 GEM Daskeene Razor-1915 GEM Damascene- 1921 GEM double life

Is that all the same razor made over different years or they are all different and actually named "1905 The New Gem"?

Okay, things like

New GEM (or GEM NEW?) It depends on year , 1901 New GEM models -Case #11, case#2, #10,#12,#7,- GEM Outfit model, -GEM in Tin box 1901 .View attachment 360887

1905 The New GEM [case #12] View attachment 360888

1907 GEM JR-1906 GEM JR Elite- 1907 GEM JR BAR- 1911 GEM JR- View attachment 360889

1911-12 GEM De Luxe- 1811-12 GEM Daskeene Blade/1912 GEM Daskeene Razor-1915 GEM Damascene- 1921 GEM double life- $gem deluxe 1911.jpg

[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Luc

Staff member
So it would be accurate to say that the

New GEM is including the 1901 Case #11, case#2, #10,#12,#7, GEM Outfit model, GEM in Tin box 1901 and 1905 [case #12] models?

Do we really want to create multiple top-level entries for what are essentially variations of the same razor, just in a different set or made under a different brand? It would seem to me that the list is going to get downright ridiculous if we do that. For example, I see a good ten or more entries on that list there that I would consider to be variations of the 1912-style, which we would certainly discuss within the context of a page on the 1912-style razor. But I doubt it would ever make much sense to create separate pages for all of them.

Going that other direction I've taken a stab at something of a reordering and consolidation of the top part of the list here, and added a few to the early mix as well:

Luc

Staff member
I got no issues regrouping all variations of the 1912 together if that makes more sense and add a note about those variations in the page. The bottom line is, we need to decide how we want to see that information.

If I take the first line "Kampfe Bros. Star lather catcher" where you mention that it needs to be broken down, I would simply break it down right away and skip an interim page. The Kampfe Bros. (company) could be that interim page if really required.

If I take the first line "Kampfe Bros. Star lather catcher" where you mention that it needs to be broken down, I would simply break it down right away and skip an interim page. The Kampfe Bros. (company) could be that interim page if really required.

I think you may be underestimating the number of variations there were to the Star over the years. I doubt that we want to list all of them at the top level, but it would probably be good to break them out into what I think were their three major families: the original Star (fixed frame), the Improved Star (hinged blade bed), and the New Model Star (open-front models with hinged back). I've added those to the list below:

I think the fewer the categories the better; otherwise it might be a navigation nightmare. If it was me, I'd put something like pre-1912 (or Lather Catcher), 1912, 1914, 1924, Micromatic, Streamline and Post-war. That would be for Gem and all related brands. Then I'd have a page each for Wilkinson, Schick, and Valet (all with various models). Then another page for everything else.

Last edited:

Luc

Staff member
If we look at how we did the DE. There's a category for each Gillette and Schick which regroup their respective razors. We went as far as having a slant and open comb category also so you browse all open combs (as an example).

I think that we need to reproduce this type of pattern. Let me take an example, the Gillette NEW. There are a huge number of variations but only 1 page for the New. If we can properly organize the variations of the 1912 in a 1912 page, that's fine. If we end up with 5 new pages, that's fine too. I think we just need to discuss what looks easiest to look at and browse. I can make the pages no issues it's how someone wants them presented (and what's to present) that I need to know.

Sounds good. Like someone already said, I think you'll also have a lot of variations in the cases, and that will account for a good portion of the entries. There's also the UK versions to include as well.

If we look at how we did the DE. There's a category for each Gillette and Schick which regroup their respective razors. We went as far as having a slant and open comb category also so you browse all open combs (as an example).

I think that we need to reproduce this type of pattern. Let me take an example, the Gillette NEW. There are a huge number of variations but only 1 page for the New. If we can properly organize the variations of the 1912 in a 1912 page, that's fine. If we end up with 5 new pages, that's fine too. I think we just need to discuss what looks easiest to look at and browse. I can make the pages no issues it's how someone wants them presented (and what's to present) that I need to know.
That sounds great, and Porter's idea is viable. The SE had many similar razors and models and less clutter would be ideal.....Luc do you propose to do this now, and then just add from this list?

This format would be great

$de.jpg$se 1.jpg

Last edited:

Luc

Staff member
I was hoping to get a list of the majority of the SE razors and then generate a list. It could be there but eventually, I want to move that in a SE only page.

Luc

Staff member
I think more like

• Gem
  • Ever Ready
  • etc
    • etc1
    • etc2
    • etc3

I think more like

• Gem
  • Ever Ready
  • etc
    • etc1
    • etc2
    • etc3
That would be great, i will let you start it and i can add some input as needed once you settle on your page look. I think this format will be less chaotic and more organized since these razors have basically the same design with a ton of models based of the cases or years.

I think more like

• Gem
  • Ever Ready
  • etc
    • etc1
    • etc2
    • etc3

That looks OK. I might have simplified it too much, but I was thinking more along the lines of Mr. Razor's site where you can scroll up and down and see everything pertaining to one particular type.

Last edited:
Top Bottom