What's new

Need ideas for Military Care Package

I have a young man employed by my company who was recently deployed for a year and is currently based in Saudi Arabia.
We would like to send a "care package" to him but I don't have a clue what to include in it.

For those of you who have served overseas in the armed forces, what were some things you missed from home or would have appreciated receiving? I need ideas.

I'm told I may not send perishables or any religious items.

When I was deployed to Kuwait, care packages were a special treat. Beef jerky was always appreciated, but it has to have preservatives or it will likely be green when it arrives. Hard candies are always good. I had one that contained cards from a children's Sunday school class that was extra special. The religion guidelines are not super strict. Things like a religious book were fine.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I know guys have just recently been going back to Saudi Arabia so I'm not sure they've got a BX/PX set up there yet but I'd imagine they have something where they can get some typical stuff you need. The selection is probably limited though. If there's anything that's popular regionally or locally where you're from that you know he'd like, they probably won't have it there so something like that is sure to be a hit. Nothing too moist or fragile but if it'll keep for a couple weeks and survive being thrown around a bit, it'll probably be fine.

The Saudis are especially sensitive about pictures of scantily clad women. Even a magazine with a picture of a woman in shorts is liable to get taken going through customs. Reading material is great though, especially if he doesn't have easy access to the internet. If you know any of his interests, some magazines or books along those lines would probably be appreciated.

I'll second the beef jerky and hard candy. Maybe some nuts. At least they'll make it there intact. Some homemade cookies were always a hit even if they were a little crumbled by the time they got there.

I know guys have just recently been going back to Saudi Arabia so I'm not sure they've got a BX/PX set up there yet but I'd imagine they have something where they can get some typical stuff you need. The selection is probably limited though. If there's anything that's popular regionally or locally where you're from that you know he'd like, they probably won't have it there so something like that is sure to be a hit. Nothing too moist or fragile but if it'll keep for a couple weeks and survive being thrown around a bit, it'll probably be fine.

The Saudis are especially sensitive about pictures of scantily clad women. Even a magazine with a picture of a woman in shorts is liable to get taken going through customs. Reading material is great though, especially if he doesn't have easy access to the internet. If you know any of his interests, some magazines or books along those lines would probably be appreciated.

I'll second the beef jerky and hard candy. Maybe some nuts. At least they'll make it there intact. Some homemade cookies were always a hit even if they were a little crumbled by the time they got there.
Yes, avoid anything with pictures of women. There "may or may not have been" an incident when something of questionable taste was found by the citizens while deployed. Not good at all.

Absolutely treats are welcomed. I missed really good chocolate the most. By perishables they usually mean fresh fruits and veggies, etc, anything that will go bad in <6 months.

Good coffee and tea was always appreciated and usually shared within our battery.

Even a photograph with everyone giving a goofy face or a thumbs up or having fun if it's a small company.

You know him better than us, and he would appreciate a personal touch, however small. Something that came up in conversation that they enjoyed, or usually talked about. Taste in books would be a good one to use.

It may not seem like a big thing but even the smallest box with a few snacks and a thoughtful note goes a long long way.

Absolutely treats are welcomed. I missed really good chocolate the most. By perishables they usually mean fresh fruits and veggies, etc, anything that will go bad in <6 months.

Good coffee and tea was always appreciated and usually shared within our battery.

Even a photograph with everyone giving a goofy face or a thumbs up or having fun if it's a small company.

You know him better than us, and he would appreciate a personal touch, however small. Something that came up in conversation that they enjoyed, or usually talked about. Taste in books would be a good one to use.

It may not seem like a big thing but even the smallest box with a few snacks and a thoughtful note goes a long long way.
Chocolate this time of year will probably make it ok so that's a good one to send soon. When it gets warm there, like in March, it'll melt sitting in the sun waiting to get loaded and unloaded.

Beef jerkey. Hard candy(similar to jolly ranchers). Sunflower Seeds. Pistachio Nuts. Rinse and Repeat.

As a side note, thank you to those who have signed on the line, whether you were called to make good on that agreement or stayed in the background. Your service to our nation is incredibly appreciated.

You might want to include a few copies of the local newspaper, I always enjoyed reading about what was happening at home.

Tabasco and Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning. Pure Gold if they don’t have access to either. The little bottles are great, but the little packets travel well. The big bottle(both) are easily shared by the entire wing/unit.
image.jpg

It all gets shared, so keep that in mind too.

Find out what brewing method he has for coffee (DFAC coffee is usually terrible, usually maxwell house or something equally bad), and send some good coffee that will fit the brewing method. A lot of workspaces have keurigs, even in forward deployed locations, but it could be drip, for which pure-ground would be most convenient.

Powdered drink mix sachets are a good way to liven up the unending bottled water we get.

Snack food is a win as well. Almonds, pistachios, trail mix, jerky, etc.

Cigars if you know he or people in his unit smoke them (in a ziploc bag with a boveda pack to keep them from drying out).

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I always sent my brother beef jerky and the individual size bean dip and original Fritos. Also powdered Gatorade for his CamelBak.
I also sent him a couple boxes of Tampons in Super. Just in case someone got shot. Just stick in the hole and let them do what they were made to do.

Find out what brewing method he has for coffee (DFAC coffee is usually terrible, usually maxwell house or something equally bad), and send some good coffee that will fit the brewing method. A lot of workspaces have keurigs, even in forward deployed locations, but it could be drip, for which pure-ground would be most convenient.

Powdered drink mix sachets are a good way to liven up the unending bottled water we get.

Snack food is a win as well. Almonds, pistachios, trail mix, jerky, etc.

Cigars if you know he or people in his unit smoke them (in a ziploc bag with a boveda pack to keep them from drying out).
Yep, brought a stainless steel French press when I deployed.

Top Bottom