What's new

Need helping picking a synthetic knot/brush..

linty1

My wallet cries.
I started my shaving journey many years ago with a synthetic brush. It was inexpensive and I thought a sturdy purchase. I hated it. The bristles clumped weird, felt like a noodle/wet dog tail on my face, and held water weird (in one big glob). A huge awkward glue bump. I got rid of that brush. Since then I've had better experience with badgers and recently tried and liked a boar.

I want to give synthetics another try, as I heard they have improved leaps and bounds. I have tried my best to read up on the diff knot types (as well as the sharpologist synthetic knot article) but I don't have a reference point for "more backbone" or "softer tips". I need a recommendation.

I -know- I like badger silvertips, just so soft, and I know I like a bit of backbone. My Kent bk4 silvertip was too floppy. My thater 4125 was really good, as was as my WD silvertip, with the knot drilled an extra 5mm (for the cost, that wd is amazing!) I also enjoy the Semogue Soc, its worn in nicely. The Uomo 293 was really nice. Between my recent Duke 3 and Chubby 2... they are both win ners. The chubby may be on the touch dense side for me and a touch skritchier than I like. (I guess I lucked out and got a nonskritchy "good" duke) Maybe if the Duke and Chubby had a love child? So... which synthetic knot seems to fit what I like for those with experience? Synbad? Tuxedo? Silvertip Fibre? Cashmere? I mainly bowl lather, but will face lather if pressed for time. If it matters I'm looking for a longer handle (like a polo or painters brush or one of those heritage collection or vie long, long handles), but I don't mind glueing a knot and handle together. Also have been looking at turnNshave/apshave/cayuen/oumo/wcs, but thats neither here or there. Help? I do want to keep costs reasonable (under $100usd) as I'm a little gun shy from my first experience. Thank you in advance.

+1 for PAA brushes. I love my StarCraft. I don’t have any experience with natural brushes but the PAA synth brushes have a kind of retro vibe, and the StarCraft has a nice sized handle to keep your hand clean

TBH I never liked the synthetic brushs always a badger man, until I bought a shavemac Synthetic 173 shape 26mm Synthetic knot that this is very close to a badger and this is the only synthetic brush that I will use.
All of my other synthetic brushes including my Rubberset 400, will all have this knot installed this is a picture of that synthetic brush.

20191003_004623.jpg
20191003_004649.jpg

And nobody can go wrong in buying one every shave den should have one in rotation, oh and it drys in next to no time....

TBH I never liked the synthetic brushs always a badger man, until I bought a shavemac Synthetic 173 shape 26mm Synthetic knot that this is very close to a badger and this is the only synthetic brush that I will use.
All of my other synthetic brushes including my Rubberset 400, will all have this knot installed this is a picture of that synthetic brush.

View attachment 1240514View attachment 1240516

And nobody can go wrong in buying one every shave den should have one in rotation, oh and it drys in next to no time....
Nice brush, where did you get it from?

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
The best synthetic knot by far also taking into consideration your handle preferences

The Simpson Trafalgar series uses fibres commonly used by other brush manufactures, but you get the Simpson’s heritage in the handle.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I have an EVO for face lathering, but for a bowl you'll probably be very happy with an Atomic Rocket for cheap money. Big handle - HUGE.

I haven't found a synthetic that feels like a badger, and you've got no chance of finding a synthetic SOC boar, but soft tips are easy to come by. I recommend you think of it as a different beast all together. Move a little slower while painting the lather on your face and the synthetic won't throw lather all over the room.

linty1

My wallet cries.
Its really neat when you are looking for a certain brush in a few places and ppl go "hey hey look here, don't forget this" and its really eye opening... a lot of ppl are voiching for the paa brushes... thats a great price... I shall google and read some reviews! Certainly the Ever Ready tribute is a nice.

Top Bottom