What's new

Need help with trouble spot on neck!

As I type this there is about a two inch strip around my neck where I can't seem to shave close enough and it itches. It goes from one side of my neck and across the Adam's Apple to the other side. The problem is since I'm not able to shave this area close enough, the stubble is long enough (like a five o'clock shadow) to really irritate when I bend my chin down towards the neck. The WTG direction on this area is S-N.

I am doing at least 3 passes with an ATG pass included. Merkur Progress with AoS Sandalwood soap and Wilkinson blades.

I tend to turn the dial down to 1 for the neck, but perhaps I should try a 3 in the future. Thanks.

Brio, I think I may have a much smaller area and less severe case of what you described. It's mostly on the right side of my neck and extends near the Adam's apple.

Beard grows at a very low angle and off to the right, just in that area.

Yeah, I do achieve the angle shown in Figure 6 of the cited thread. I do WTG, XTG, ATG there. Sometimes ineffectively no matter how many passes. The problem seems to be the extreme low growth angle.

Can't say this will work for you, but you might try these things which have helped me a lot.

(1) Feel the area with your fingers and try to figure out exactly what stroke direction will raise the hair there.

(2) Tension the skin there by pulling sidewise, or parallel to whatever direction the hair grows.

(3) Use a very sharp blade like the Feather. But carefully and without excess pressure. I find a duller blade only makes me unconsciously apply more pressure to compensate, leading to irritation. Only the lightest touch needed if very sharp.

You might keep a really sharp blade (Feather or Iridium?) in a separate razor just to go at that area. I've never done that so I'm just throwing out untested ideas about that. But you could I suppose.

Good luck!
- Bill

I had the same "ring", I agree with Luc check your angle, also your pressure. I found that when I inadvertently added pressure, even a little, it changed the angle. Whether or not my wrist changed the angle. Hope that makes sense. :blushing:

I had an area in the past around my neck that would get itchy after shaving. I later discovered that it was due to going too much against the grain. My neck was just too sensitive for it, and now I generally do the first pass XTG, the second WTG, and the third XTG, but in the opposite direction from the first pass. Perhaps a little unorthodox, but it works for me.

You have received some good insights and opinions above. When I am shaving the neck area, I find it most helpful to tension the skin with your fingers before making an ATG pass in the trouble spot. FWIW, sometimes I will drag my thumb through the lather XTG just before the pass. I have no idea what this does, but it seems to help me.

You have received some good insights and opinions above. When I am shaving the neck area, I find it most helpful to tension the skin with your fingers before making an ATG pass in the trouble spot. FWIW, sometimes I will drag my thumb through the lather XTG just before the pass. I have no idea what this does, but it seems to help me.

Yeah Fran, what I was trying to say, but you explained it much better!
- Bill

Last edited:
Don't worry, this is a problem that we all have. I have found that a cold water shave does better for me. I know that everyone is telling you "hot water" --the more the better. But if you hydrate your beard with a hot shower and then put cold water on your face, the cold water will not de-hydrate your face. But it will make your pores tighten up and the beard stand up for a closer shave. That way you will not have to do so many ATG passes.

The other thing I would suggest using Buffing techniques.

Don't worry, this is a problem that we all have. I have found that a cold water shave does better for me. I know that everyone is telling you "hot water" --the more the better. But if you hydrate your beard with a hot shower and then put cold water on your face, the cold water will not de-hydrate your face. But it will make your pores tighten up and the beard stand up for a closer shave. That way you will not have to do so many ATG passes.

The other thing I would suggest using Buffing techniques.

How do I use a buffing technique without making my face look like I shaved with a cheese grater? Thanks.:huh:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
How do I use a buffing technique without making my face look like I shaved with a cheese grater? Thanks.:huh:

Make sure you are not applying any pressure and do not stay on the same spot too long.

+1 on angle.

Neck was a problem area when I first started out too. One thing that helped was shaving that area first on each pass so I could really concentrate on angle/pressure.

Top Bottom